Login |  Register |  FAQ

Drop Pod tactics

Post subject: Drop Pod tactics
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello everyone!

After reading a few posts from other members here and doing some pondering on my own, I've decided that I'm going to start drop podding a lot more often, esp. with my Raven Guard.

I understand the rules for deploying via drop pods fine, but what are the tactics people follow when positioning the orbital strike and drop pods? Do you place both in the enemy's deployment zone? In the middle of the board or along a flank? Do you ever wait until round two to deploy? Are deployment tactics different depending on what kind of opponent you are facing? Is the deployment of forces in your own deployment zone affected by drop pods?

I would be very interested in hearing about the plotting and game tactics of those SM players that successfully use drop pod deployment.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Drop Pod tactics
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I typically include a strike cruiser and drop-podding devastators in my marine forces

how I use them depends on my opponent's force for the most part, I look for the most obvious spot to deploy things like AA formations (hydras, falcons, zaap brigades) then try to think where I would put those units if I were trying to dodge a drop, then plot my orbital strike around that location ;)

if my opponent has several small war engines (shadowswords, warhounds, void spinners etc) I will often try to guess where one is being deployed, then I will have the barrage and pod arrive in the same space in an effort to stick 3 blast markers on the unit (barrage+deathwind followed by devs sustaining) and break it, but usually I try to go after as much AA as possible

against an army like marines however I know there is not likely to be much on the ground, in which case I'll often stick the devs into a thunderhawk or take rhinos for them (EpicUK allows you to change your mind before the game with this) and I'll aim for either turn 1 or 3 depending on when my opponent chooses (I never seem to win spaceship rolloffs) if T1 I'll plot the barrage on a garrisonable objective hoping to hit some scouts, alternatively on T3 I'll plonk it on a blitz, either mine or my opponent's, just remember to keep clear of the area first....

Against titans or gargants, I would most likely hold back till T3, then pod onto the opposing blitz, hoping that I've got enough activations remaining to break the blitz guard reaver/gargant with blast markers after the barrage/deathwind/devs have had a go

I particulalry like drop podding EpicUK Dark Angel devastators as their slow firing plasma cannons are teh awesum on a sustain fire (8x AP3+/AT3+ shots!!) but regular devs are almost as handy as their extra range allows them to hit stuff even when they scatter pretty wildly

It really comes down to practice and experience, the more you use them (and are on the recieving end) the more you get a feel for them, also best to view the devs as disposable, but your opponent often has to burn 1-2 activations destroying them...

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
EpicUK allows you to change your mind before the game with this

Note: the (in) formerly titled "Superior tactics" was adopted by NetEA as well as pretty much everyone used it anyways.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:20 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

It took me a bit, but I ended up having decent success with drop wolves when I set up corner deployment and focused on rolling up one flank. The OB and the drop pods prep formations, and then retain for combined assaults to start breaking formations. It's a little bit of a risk and guessing game, but that's a drop list for ya.

Depending on the size of the army and what their formations are, I'll also sometimes "bait" them into placing their reserves under my OB with objective placement. If they can reach good cover, your opponent might set up a nice infantry formation there. With a little careful OB set up before the objective is placed, you can get them to bring the formation right to the blast.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All good thoughts.

I like the idea of playing a SM army that has nothing on the board during initial deployment, and have written up a list that includes 5 drop pods-worth of tacticals, devastators and scouts....but I don't know if maybe that's putting too much into the drop.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

well can't pod scouts but that's otherwise fun fun fun

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I podded in two groups. Each had six grey hunters and a dread. Then delivered a group of termies by thawk (can't teleport in SW) and another grey Hunter pack w a dread. This gave me some flexibility in case my drop missed the mark.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

However you CAN pod termies in SW list so that gives you some great deathwind attack if you land them right.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

AW, JEEZ!!

After all this time, I've been doing it wrong! I though RG scouts got transports like everybody else so I could include them in drop pods.....AND THEY DON'T!

Now I'll definitely have to put them in aircraft to keep them mobile.