Login |  Register |  FAQ

Raven guard batrep #3

Post subject: Raven guard batrep #3
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:24 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Took the Raven Guard out for another game versus Steve54 and his ulthwe, I took:

Vanguard veterans
Vanguard veterans
Devastators
Tacticals (hunter)
Scouts
Scouts
Terminators (chaplain)
Strike cruiser
Thunderhawk
Storm Eagle
Storm Eagle
Thunderbolts
Thunderbolts

Steve took

Guardians (seer council, wraithguard)
Mechanised Guardians
Mechanised Guardians
Falcons
Falcons
Night Spinners
Rangers
Rangers
Aspects (FD exarch, 2xFD, 4xDA)
Vampire
Vampire
Wraithship
Webway portal

I won the rolloff and picked turn 1 for my spaceship, Steve won strategy and passed initiative back to me, my barrage broke the night spinners and killed a couple of guardians, while the devstators sustained and broke a falcon formation, with limited air cover I was able to destroy the guardians, falcons and rangers on the left with air assaulting vanguard veterans, after maintaining the activation advantage throughout I was able to sneak a 3-1 win (T&H, DTF, TSNP vs BTS)

Thoughts

The barrage on the storm eagle allows too many shenanigans at 30cm and really should be 15cm to be in line with other bombs

Steve also felt the MW on the vanguard vets were a tad potent, maybe a normal EA would be a better option? Or perhaps a 25pt bump..... I didnt think they were too bad but this army can throw a lot of MW around in assaults...the vanguard vets are on the borderline right now, used well they are super good

Also replace thunderbolts with storm talons... Please??

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Raven guard batrep #3
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:02 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey there,

I will have to try a list like this. Over the weekend I played a tournament with my RG that is scout-heavy. Against a less-experienced player I was able to bog him down with lots of ZoC, but against armies that WANT me to get close to them, they were able to eat me up.

Have you played many games with RG, without using cruiser and drop pods? I tend to avoid doing drop pod armies as it puts my opponent on the defensive right from the start, which usually puts them in a bad mood and it's not worth it to me to play that way...being hated by my gaming group.

I find storm eagles to be too fragile to be used as transports, but I take them over fighters. What are your thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:46 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

robbypk wrote:
Hey there,

I will have to try a list like this. Over the weekend I played a tournament with my RG that is scout-heavy. Against a less-experienced player I was able to bog him down with lots of ZoC, but against armies that WANT me to get close to them, they were able to eat me up.

Have you played many games with RG, without using cruiser and drop pods? I tend to avoid doing drop pod armies as it puts my opponent on the defensive right from the start, which usually puts them in a bad mood and it's not worth it to me to play that way...being hated by my gaming group.

I've only played 3 games with RG so far, and none without the strike cruiser and drop pods

I view those two as the only real essential options in any marine list which can take them, the marine lists are built around the orbital drop and air assault, and without them the game is much harder. I played with the codex list for ~2 years without using the spacecraft and podding devs and had relatively little success, but when I started using them I started winning far more games.

I find it a little strange that your opponents would dislike you leveraging the strengths of your list to compete better, to my mind that's like expecting you to handicap yourself so they have an easier game.... there are manifold ways to defend against 'the drop' and ways around those defences of course, but marines are a drop army at their core.....

Quote:
I find storm eagles to be too fragile to be used as transports, but I take them over fighters. What are your thoughts on that?

I quite like them as transports, you just have to be more meticulous in removing opposing AA (hence the inclusion of the drop assets) I'd possibly include one for ground attacking purposes and late game objective contesting (or drop a scout formation into them for grabbing objectives T3) I think the barrage is too good at 30cm range though

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Rob, I don't think anyone's mood is affected by the choice to use drop pods, nor do people hate you or the list because of them.

Will people complain? Sure. But that's mostly complaining for the sake of it. You could take a portal-less Necron army or an all attack bike Marine army and people would still complain.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK then, can one of your direct me to an official description of "Self-Planetfall?"

I'm having difficulty finding an official explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:58 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:

Self Planetfall
Self planetfall is plotted exactly as planetfall (see 4.4). Both the turn in which the formation arrives and the landing location is plotted. The only exception is that, because these units are much smaller than orbiting spacecraft, they may be plotted to arrive in the same turn that an enemy spacecraft is present.

On the designated turn the self planetfalling unit is activated in the normal activation sequence, as with spacecraft. Nominate the action for the formation and roll to activate. If the unit fails to activate its arrival is delayed to the next following turn. If the activation is successful, place the formation at the plotted landing zone and determine scatter according to 4.4 as if it were a normal planetfall, including loaded units disembarking up to 5cm. The formation’s action proceeds as normal in all respects from that point. In other words, the formation gets the free move from planetfall placement at the beginning of its action but in all other ways activates as normal.

Note: The action is chosen at activation, before scatter is determined. Choose the action carefully as a poor scatter role could render some actions ineffective.

Now I'll admit I haven't spent too much time on Raven Guard having only played half a game with my old crew in Seattle before running out of time but I don't see self-planetfall (or I'm really overlooked something) in this list....just a random question?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:25 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

The vets can get it via ambush.

Blog

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh I was looking for that ability on the vehicles (specifically aircraft). Yes I did know that was just being derp on the context here.

It's a good way to represent a combat drop. I had argued that the Elysian drop troopers should be SPF and not Teleport. Carry on. :)

Edit: yeah Kyuss is right. Storm Talons mate. :gah

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:03 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Played against Kyuss RG a few times now.

My main issue with it is that it seems to be a very rock/paper/scissors list as if your opponent has lots of AA you lose, if not then you win easily.

Unit-wise vanguard feel a bit too good and similarily Storm eagles. Vanguard don't feel particularily RGedy as a static air assault option - perhaps some combination of taking MW off the EA and perhaps limiting them to self-planetfall and removing their ability to be loaded in an aircraft? The combination of cheap powerful air assault units and transports lets you have 3-4 powerful air assaults but still out activate your opponent.

Also I'd knock the SE barrage down to 15cm