Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Salamanders

Post subject: Re: Salamanders
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All the salamander's specific stuff is an addition to the formation, so if you want redeemers, or incinerators or the salamanders tac & devs they add onto the existing formation. Hence you quickly end up with bigger formations and a lower activation count. So as you'll see above my tournament list cut away a lot of the fat in order to up the activation count.

I was running salamanders devs but they were hard to get the most out of without compromising on the effectiveness of the rest of the detachment. I didn't use thunderhawks for two main reasons, one I had yet to assemble mine and they are 50pts more in this list than others. In saying that I'm keen to try a dev formation with salamanders dev, dread and librarian attached for some MW death from above in coming games.

I've used incinerators, they're ok as support to tacticals or other assault formations but other options feel better.

It would be nice to take a formation of Redeemers rather than add them onto an existing LR formation, the two don't really work well together, on the other hand 2 redeemers work really well in a vindicator formation, IMHO.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Low activation count is a list design principle for the Salamanders. It is there to show their relatively low reaction if compared to other Space Marines (they had Iniative 3 instead of 4 in the original Codex Armageddon) but are more resilient (bigger formations than standard Codex Space Marines).
Because of this all the Salamanders specific stuff are upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

You never answered one of my questions- salamander tactical/devastator, do they come with transport?

I get that you're trying to encourage larger formations but I don't think reserving different Salamander stuff to upgrades only is the best approach. I'd basically end up taking a mostly similar army to my normal ground pounding marines, with similar activation numbers and different Terminators and Attack Bikes but would miss out most of the upgrades entirely. I'd attach 1 x Redeemer plus 1 x Hunter to my 3 infantry formations but never pay 100 for 2 Predator Infernuses, whereas I'd happily use a separate formation of Redeemers or Infernus if they were available.

I would have thought a better way to represent Salamanders lower reactions and initiative would have been to give them strategy rating 4.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Opps. Seems i have overlooked your question. Sure they come with transports. As per Space Marine transport rule you get just enough Rhinos to transport every unit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks! That's good, the upgrades didn't say 'plus transport' so it was unclear.

Can you clear up something else please: tournament pack has close support upgrade being 'add two'. Compendium has the same as 'add up to two'. Which is correct? (I'm hoping for the second). Either way you should point out the error in whichever's wrong in the appropriate thread.

Edited to add: I found the document in the first page of the thread. Looks like it should be up to 2 so the tournament pack had it wrong. There are other differences between the Salamanders document and the tournament pack though. Terminators don't have drop pods option in TP, which is correct? Should Assault be 150 or did that get changed? Its 175 in the tournament pack but this could also be an error? If you're going to keep the separate document up you should really update it for the correct prices for Predators ect.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

"add up to two" should be correct.
I will look through the other differences.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Posted the corrections in the relevant threads.
Uploaded corrected V1.13.2 pdf in the first posting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great, thanks! Good to clear that up. I've been looking at the list more and can see lots of cool options and interesting combinations Id like to try; Vindicators plus a Redeemer, Predator Destructors plus a Prometheus, Assault plus two Redeemers, ect (I like fielding lots of armour in my SM lists).

You missed correcting the Land Raider formation in your new list version btw - presumably they should be 325 as in other chapters and in the tournament pack?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Question: Originally you are only allowed to Upgrade Land Raider Redeemers to Land Raider Helios. This way you can`t get mire than 2 Land Raider Helios in a Detachment as Land Rauider Redeemers are only available with the Close Support upgrade.

The only exception is the Land Raider Upgrade for the Salamanders Terminators. This way you could get 6 Land Raider Helios but the 4 Terminator units have to walk.

Are you ok with this? Or would you prefer to upgrade ANY Land Raider to Land Raider Helios (ths way it is written in the Compendium i noticed!)? This way you can have 6 Land Raider Helios with the Land Raider Detachment. To powerful? To cheap?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd like to see the option to upgrade any standard LR to a Helios or Redeemer. At present you can only add 2 redeemers to a formation. In my experience they only combine well with tactical and vindicator formations. In other units they become a bit of a liability, either forcing you to double when you otherwise wouldn't need to or slowing you down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ortron wrote:
Commander sims, sorry if this derails your post but it's relevant I think.

@Black Legion, the compendium list has differed in this respect for some time and few people seem to be doing anything with salamanders of late so what's your way forward with this?

Are we to use the compendium, the army list in this forum or do an update to the list?

Personally I'd like an update that would allow better use of the land raider variants. And maybe inclusion of the predator infernus and/or land raider achillies.

Given the salamanders reliance on superior tech I'd like to see "Heavy transport" allowed on tacticals and devastators. Then have an option to replace any land raider or redeemer with a redeemer, Prometheus, Helios or achillies at an appropriate cost. "Close support" can remain as is unless you want to include the vindicator and/or infernus which makes sense to me.

The overall intent would be to keep the feel very much the same (reliance on tough ground units, limited fast attack) but a less complicated and arguably more intuitive method of army creation.

I.e. Pick formation, choose LR transports as applicable, add supporting armour as required, upgrade any LR to spec variants as required.

Given the Salamanders are probably an under performing list as it is, I don't see the above drastically shifting the balance of power in their favour as all these "fluffy" upgrades come at a high cost and reduced activation count which already hurts the salamanders.

My 2 cents anyhow, as always happy to test and report on this, I'm just not going to waste my time if there is no appetite for change.

Regards
Geoff

The rational was this:
Everything which isn't in the Wh40k Codex but in the various Imperial Armour books are rare. Some Chapters are lucky to have even one of such vehicles/equipmend/whatever.
The idea was that such units will be available with the Close Support upgrade which restricts such units to a maximum of two per Detachment.
Because of this Land Raider Helios where restricted to the Land Raiders bought with the Close Support Upgrade. So a Salamanders Detachment could only have 2 Land Raider Helioses maximum.
As you can see only Terminators, Land Raiders and Whirlwinds have access to Helioses.
Terminators and Land Raiders because they have (or have access to) Land Raiders anyway and Whirlwinds because Helioses are artillery tanks, too.
As an Upgrade to Land Raider Detachments i use the 1-2 Helioses more as some kind of shotgun than as an Indirect Fire weapon. Worse to hit value than Twin Heavy Bolters but it hits several enemy units (including AVs) because of the template.

But if the community want's we can leave the entry as in the Compendium as is and allow six strong Land Raider Helios Detachments as it doesn't seem to unbalance the list.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for this. As I haven't had chance to play them yet, but have gone to great lengths to buy four minis; I would like to try them out as written. I don't intend flooding my table with them and as you say, I can't see them unbalancing things.

I would be interested to see what other experienced players/played think.

My Personal Blog: http://mickeysminishome.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

BL,

Cheers for you explanation, I now understand your intent a little better with respect to the Helios and Prometheus.

Taking that into consideration, how about:
1. The Land Raider formation become a 4-6 choice of LR and/or Redeemers at 75pts ea or 325 for 4 and +150 for 2 extra. (to maintain current option to take 6 strong LR formations and receive the codex SM points discount, currently sallies pay 350?)

2. The "Heavy Transport" upgrade becomes an option for tacticals and devastators (so they can all ride in a LR or Redeemer, not just 4 stands, but still have the option to take a hunter or other attached close support tanks.

3. The Land Raider, Redeemer and Prometheus are dropped from the "Close support" upgrade and the vindicator added.

4. The "Helios" upgrade is modified to "Armoury Relics" or something similar - in this upgrade you allow 0-2 units per formation to be upgraded to a rare type - eg LR to a Helios, Promethius at Xpts and this could include the Predator Infernus or Achillies if interested.

I believe these mods would achieving your intent of limiting mass formations of rare vehicles but allowing salamander infantry formations the full range of support - something i feel is very much in theme with their preferred method of war.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well guys please read this:
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=27726

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Is there any movement on this list in the works?
I have a local who is keen to play his Salamanders.

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next