Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Salamanders

Post subject: Salamanders
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:15 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (Simulated Knave @ Dec. 10 2009, 16:00 )

So the Salamanders went to the trouble of creating the Prometheus even though they don't really like it that much?  

That's a lousy argument, and you know it.  :p  

That wasn't the argument.  "No practical use and an unnecessary special rule" was the argument.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Being able to use Commander without the 5cm restriction IS useful under the right circumstances.
Is it unnecessary? Well if it is really unnecessary then it wouldn't hurt to keep it either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:22 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ Dec. 10 2009, 15:59 )

I would have thought the min max points were 1 and 4 and they should be costed for those two 'sweet spots'. Still its  minor thing and currently can only be a 0-2 upgrade for a formation (unless you go into the silly terminator helios formation :) ) so the '4' shouldn't occur.

I agree that pricing based on those "sweet spots" is possibly a viable approach.

I missed that you had restricted basic LRs from upgrading so you can't do 0-6 with the LR formation.  0-2 is available with any of them.  You can do 4-6BP with the Whirlwind formation.  You could still technically do 0-6 with Terminators if you were willing to give up the transport ability, right?  I see the FAQ, but there's not actually any restriction in the army list against it.

It just feels fiddly to me - buy upgrade, then upgrade the upgrade.

Quote: 

Quote: 

Has the Prometheus' combined assault been used much?

Twice! Once usefully, once because I just wanted too. It wasn't the best choice both times :)

and
Quote: 

BTW: I tend to use the Prometheus often. But only used it's special ability once and for good effect.

Out of the three of us that have reported the most playtest results, we have 1 good use and 2 that were less than optimal.

What's the ratio on that?  Can we attribute, say, 30 games between us?  That would be 1 in 10 games it's been used and 1 in 30 that it was effective.

Quote: 

Well if it is really unnecessary then it wouldn't hurt to keep it either.

Unnecessary special rules are a distraction.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But in practice its usable with teleporting terminators and land speeders being called in to support a tac/dev attack. But in both cases why not attack and retain? Slightly increased risk, but at same time you do the bm to the target prior to assault and you save 25 points getting a redeemer instead for the marine formation.

Quote: (nealhunt @ Dec. 10 2009, 16:22 )

I missed that you had restricted basic LRs from upgrading so you can't do 0-6 with the LR formation.  0-2 is available with any of them.  You can do 4-6BP with the Whirlwind formation.  You could still technically do 0-6 with Terminators if you were willing to give up the transport ability, right?  I see the FAQ, but there's not actually any restriction in the army list against it.

It just feels fiddly to me - buy upgrade, then upgrade the upgrade.

It was because including them in the general upgrade led to some odd formation - assault marines with 2bp attacks and stuff.

They weren't laytested so to limit variables made separate and kept to land raiders, terminators and whirlwinds.

Quote: 

What's the ratio on that?  Can we attribute, say, 30 games between us?  That would be 1 in 10 games it's been used and 1 in 30 that it was effective.

Still better than Vindicators :) I'm not against it being dropped, I think it makes no different either way.

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Well the wording of the Prometheus special ability isn't THAT confusing, isn't it` :laugh:

But then in Wh40k the Prometheus lost it's comms ability (only the Damocles Rhino kept it) instead it gained a "Battle Auspex" which reduces enemy cover saves by -1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Quote: (BlackLegion @ Dec. 10 2009, 16:40 )

But then in Wh40k the Prometheus lost it's comms ability (only the Damocles Rhino kept it) instead it gained a "Battle Auspex" which reduces enemy cover saves by -1.

In that case, I'd be fine with it as a variant instead of the super-command tank.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I too would rather see the command ability go onto a Damocles Command Rhino, and have the Prometheus as 'just' a variant.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Hena: The specialability of the Prometheus cancels the coherency requirement (= that all formations which take part in the combined assault have to be at at least one unit 5cm from a unit of the initiating formation).
The only coherency requirement is that AFTER the assault the formations have to be within 5cm of each other (so that they look like a single formation in coherency).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes i meant after the assault move. So we actually talk about the same  :agree:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Personally, I think the Prometheus' special ability is interesting, appropriate, and simple.  I think it should be kept.  

In regard to the idea that the tank should be retained but the ability removed - that's silly.  The Prometheus' special rule is simpler than most.  It's simpler than the actual rules for the tank itself.  

In regard to the idea that the tank should be removed wholly - again, I don't see why.  If it's not a very effective option, cut the price.  If the ability provided is never worth it, well, that's a bit of an issue, but nobody seems to be in a rush to fix Dreadnoughts, Vindicators or any other options that aren't usually worth it.  Personally, I like the look of the option and would take one with my Captains on the chance it might be useful.  It's an option with real potential, and I'd much rather have it along and not use it than not have it when I wanted it.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Only want to share this  new cover artwork for the 2nd Salamanders novel from BlackLibrary :cool:
http://www.nickkyme.com/wp-cont....024.jpg

Post subject: Re: Salamanders
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Reupped the current V 1.11 Salamanders army list in the first posting.

And concerning the discussion in the NetEA Army Compendium Space Marines DRAFT thread regarding the odd 75pts cost for the Supreme Commander instead of the usual 100pts here: viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18260&p=356227#p356227

I quote myselfe from this thread:
Quote:
Actually Salamanders Supreme Commander is supposed to cost only 75pts because of the redundand second Leader ability.

Quote:
Well Salamanders where always tested with a 75pts Supreme Commander. Hard to judge if 25pts are unbalancing in a 3000pts army :D

Quote:
It's a relict from earlier developement. IIRC before the FAQ judged that no unit can have a multiple of the same special ability.

So the question is:
Should the cost remain at 75pts? Or readjusted to 100pts as all Space Marines Supreme Commanders?

Post subject: Re: Salamanders
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd choose to keep it the same as all other marines for simplicity across the lists

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next