Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Blood Angels v2.2 DRAFT ONLY for discussion

Post subject: Re: Blood Angels v2.2 DRAFT ONLY for discussion
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah. I found one potential hole in the Frenzied wording -

Some units are noted as being Frenzied. Formations that contain a Frenzied unit which can potentially reach base contact with an enemy unit after an Engage move will receive a +1 modifier to their initiative roll if they attempt to perform the Engage action.

According to RAW, this would mean that they would get the +1 to the initiative roll even if they merely moved into FF range and avoided base contact. I believe RAI wants at least one Blood Angel unit to actually make it into CC, right? Or even perhaps all that are able?

Blood Angels
Black Legion
Codex Marines
Imperial Fists

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

E&C, IIRC, felt that that was too tricky to manage.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

What was too tricky? Can you explain SK?

Would the addition of the words:

[I]Formations that contain a Frenzied unit which can potentially reach base contact with an enemy unit after an Engage move will receive a +1 modifier to their initiative roll if they attempt to perform the Engage action. Furthermore, units may not choose to remain at fire fight range if they can reach base contact.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think that could work... I am trying to think if there are any holes or situations that could make that wording wonky.

What about "BA units that are able to do so must enter base contact with an enemy unit and every effort must be made to maximize the number of BA units in close combat"

This makes it so that it keeps the spirit of the rule intact, but by avoiding wording like "closest enemy unit" or whatever, it also allows the BA commander to make tactical decisions. Blood Angels are still Space Marines, and not Khorne Berserkers, after all.

EDIT: Incidentally, the rules do make reference to "charge moves". See NetEA 1.12.3 "Charge" and "engage" are used interchangeably.

Blood Angels
Black Legion
Codex Marines
Imperial Fists

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Reviewing the old threads, it was in the context of "if the BA fail their activation roll, they Engage". I believe the suggestion was that they should have to try and engage the enemy, rather than being able to move wherever they liked (since they could just Engage in the opposite direction). I think most of the proposed wordings were agreed to be too confusing.

A penalty for units that can reach base contact and don't could also work.

Night Lords 0.1
My Trade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dobbsy wrote:
Yep cc/ff 6+ all good. I just posted a THT thread too for clarity in lists.

In regards to the SC vs SG, like I mentioned, people who want to field an SC don't have to take the SG but anyone wishing to field the SG need to add the SC.

Sounds good. I must have misread it at first glance. Happy with way you worded it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just to be clear:
No SG = SC is optional and can be placed anywhere allowed if taken
SG taken = SC is required but can be placed anywhere allowed OR must be taken by the SG?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If you buy the SG you have to take the SC and stick him in that formation.

There's nothing to say the Supreme Commander in someone's army has to be the Chapter Master. Supreme Commander is just an abstract for the commander of the force - usually high ranking. So basically, if Tycho were alive he could be a SC and the Sanguinary Guard would not be fielded because they only come out to play when Dante is on the field.

Do people feel this stipulation should go in the army list section as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi there!

Reading through the draft, I'll point out some really minor typos, but first of all, thanks for the great work, and effort put into this!

UPGRADES
Heavy Support - there is multiple & selectible number of tanks to buy, yet the word "points each" is missing from the costs which is usually there in every list.

Hunter - the upgrade is singleton, but here there IS the word "point each", while upgrade states it clearly "Add 1 Blood Angel Hunter" and that's all. It's only confusing beacuse there are exceptions, like Salamander Chapter, where you can take multiple amount of Hunters.

UNIT REFERENCE SHEET
Blood Angels Predator - it is missing it's "annihilator" weapon config name.

Well that's all I could find for now. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Xenocidal Maniac wrote:
I think that could work... I am trying to think if there are any holes or situations that could make that wording wonky.

What about "BA units that are able to do so must enter base contact with an enemy unit and every effort must be made to maximize the number of BA units in close combat"

This makes it so that it keeps the spirit of the rule intact, but by avoiding wording like "closest enemy unit" or whatever, it also allows the BA commander to make tactical decisions. Blood Angels are still Space Marines, and not Khorne Berserkers, after all.

EDIT: Incidentally, the rules do make reference to "charge moves". See NetEA 1.12.3 "Charge" and "engage" are used interchangeably.

Whilst I can see this working, I think you would need to add that Blood Angels can engage the enemy in FF normally but at a -1 to initiative. As it stands, blood angels would not actually be able to initiate FF if they are too close to the enemy... This is a bit too restrictive IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
What was too tricky? Can you explain SK?

Would the addition of the words:

[I]Formations that contain a Frenzied unit which can potentially reach base contact with an enemy unit after an Engage move will receive a +1 modifier to their initiative roll if they attempt to perform the Engage action. Furthermore, units may not choose to remain at fire fight range if they can reach base contact.

It would impact negatively on the competitiveness of the list and a canny opponent would exploit it, moving his CC units like Terminators or Genestealers into range where they have to be charged if assaulted. They could be both contesting an objective and they need to be assaulted to get rid of them, but this would only go well in a FF.

In Space Hulk the Blood Angels Terminators aren't all 'Raagh! Hit them with our fists!', rather they strategically lay down weapons fire. The old must move towards nearest enemy BA mechnism in 40k happened on a roll of a 1 for each unit, not every time. Previous versions of the rule in the epic list represented the 1 in 6 move but it was moved away from.

I'd rather see it stay as just the +1 to engage, -1 if does other orders and forget the must CC bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:47 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

GlynG wrote:
I'd rather see it stay as just the +1 to engage, -1 if does other orders and forget the must CC bit.

"+1 to engage, -1 if does other orders" does have the virtue of simplicity. If in doubt KISS.

Would -1 to allother orders be too restrictive. How about +1 to engage, -1 to sustain?

Still can do all the things that other Space Marines do. But just nudges them into more assaulty options.

Cheers

James

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:32 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't see a point cost for the 4 Storm Raven formation. Other than that it looks interesting.

Iron Warriors (Currently Building)
Daemons

My Commission Website: http://hulksmashstudios.webs.com
My Languishing Blog that will soon host some Epic stuff: http://hulksmash-homeplace.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hulksmash wrote:
I don't see a point cost for the 4 Storm Raven formation. Other than that it looks interesting.

Yep, you're right it's missing. I'll adjust it for the live list. Cheers

Quote:
I think you would need to add that Blood Angels can engage the enemy in FF normally but at a -1 to initiative.

This is an interesting possibility.

I guess this all boils down to how we view "frenzy." The way I see it they're not frothing madmen like Khorne Bezerkers and can still see and use tactics to a degree but they tend to get a bit worked up as they close with the enemy - almost to the point of bezerk but not quite reaching it.

Quote:

Yeah I think this might have to be it really. I'm just not a fan of the wording of the rule.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Does anyone else think that adding a formation of sanguinary guard to the list is a bit weird. I'm not against adding them (in fact I think it's a good idea and an interesting way to better differentiate the marine lists) but a formation of them implies that almost every sanguinary guardsman in the chapter is present on the battle field (aren't there only about 30 of them in total). As a more fluffy proposal I would suggest them as an upgrade to a SC or character stand as they are essentially a bodyguard for the chapter elite.

In this vain you could also add an honour guard upgrade to the vanilla marines and various body guard units to the other lists. What do people think?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next