Login |  Register |  FAQ

Necron Unit Design

Post subject: Necron Unit Design
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey.

I'm toying, probably just like several other people around here, with the thought of scratch-building a Necron army for Epic. Great. I have no idea if that "toying with a thought" will actually ever result in me having even one Necron unit in my hands, but hey, since I've got nothing to lose and since I like Necrons and Epic etc., I thought I'd just start doing it.

In my case, that'd mean making myself a picture of the Necrons first, especially the new units that have been introduced in the Epic list. And because I like the big stuff, I started right away with the Harvesters. I know that there are pictures in the list, but not only are they small, I'm also not too fond of those (sorry to whoever made them, no offense meant). So I sent some mails back and forth with Corey about the list and especially the background of these new units and started drawing (with the thought of the drawings that were in the list still in my mind etc.). The Abattoir remained pretty close at what's in the list atm and I do think that it could actually work as a miniature the way I imagined it. I do, however, have a problem or two concerning the Orb: The sphere-thingy is more or less an essential part of the unit, the question is what to build around it. I'll just post what I've scribbled so far and I'd be thankful for any feedback that you could give. Is any of the ideas more Necron than the others? Do they all suck? You know, something like that ;)

http://jannisstoppe.de/stuff/epic/Orb01.png

http://jannisstoppe.de/stuff/epic/Orb02.png

http://jannisstoppe.de/stuff/epic/Orb03.png

And if anybody cares: What I think the Abattoir could look like. If you feel like saying something about that, too, then feel free to post whatever you like ;)

http://jannisstoppe.de/stuff/epic/Abattoir05.png

*dang*, no png support, guess you have to click the links now  ???

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, nice artwork Snotgun! I agree with Hena on the choice of Orb.
But I liked the Abbattoir too - looks impressive, and more pyramidic than monolithic. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:19 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I also like the first orb design best.

Corey included illustrations of the orb and abbatoir in the latest version of the list.  I'd like to tell you who provided them, but I don't recall.  I think Corey put credits in the document.

Overall, they are rather similar to the concepts you put into your drawings.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really like the first Orb design, and the last one.  It look likes it belongs to the jackle God, but I can't remember if he is an Eldar God or a C'tan.

the abittoir is amazing.  The first time i saw it it reminded me of some of the big critters from the amimatrix cartoon series (mainly the renassiance art I and II)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:17 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First off, very nice sketches. Of the Orbs, I liked #1 and the lower left image in #3 the best.

I love the shape of the Abbattoir, but I'm not sold on the tentacles.

As far my attempts, I liked the sketches of the Orb in the list and will most likely model something near it. From a design concern, I noticed that your Orbs have jewels in the bottom to focus the flare. Great idea, but if you do that, then how are you going to base the figure?

One of my friends and I are going to attempt to scratch build our necrons as well (hey, it's cheap!), so I'm looking forward to seeing what others conceptualize and build.

Thanx for sharing.

"Remember Taros? We do"

- 23rd Elysian Drop Regiment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Have you checked out the Necron paper cut-outs that was Fanatic?
No, didn't know about them before. Thanks for the link :)

The Abattoir I think should look a bit different from Monolith
Just what I thought when I started drawing... I've got a few sketches that were more Scarab-like, but it didn't really work - and when Corey said that the Abattoir was basically "a tomb complex made mobile", I figured that there was hardly anything besides a pyramidic design that would work and fit. After all, the Necron are some kind of egypt undead army (when you take a look at the current models etc.) and I needed to come up with something that still fits to this kind of image.

Corey included illustrations of the orb and abbatoir in the latest version of the list.  I'd like to tell you who provided them, but I don't recall.  I think Corey put credits in the document.

Overall, they are rather similar to the concepts you put into your drawings.Yes, I know... Still, as I said, I wasn't particularly fond of them. Not because of the general concept, which was and still is working quite well and which I therefore do not even want to change, but because hte drawings themselves didn't really give any hint for relations, had a pretty distorted perspective etc. etc.. For me, it's pretty important to have a picture in my mind that shows how the machine's actually working, how big it is, what kind of impression someone has who is actually seeing it etc.

I noticed that your Orbs have jewels in the bottom to focus the flare. Great idea, but if you do that, then how are you going to base the figure?Ooooh, that's a good question ;). I did realize that there would be a problem concerning the basing of the model but ignored it in this very early state of the whole process. I guess I could make the jewel big enough for having a whole in the bottom... Or I could just place the whole somewhere else, probably a little off the centre.

Again, thanks for all the feedback... Guess I'll draw something close to sketch 1/5 (since they're both pretty similar) as they seem to be the ones that get the most positive feedback.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
I like the abbatoir. Reminds me of a combination of stargate and the harvester-robots from the matrix or the tripods from war of the worlds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi SG,

I'm also building a 6mm Necron army.

I liked your #1 Orb the best.

I liked the Abbatoir, but I'm thinking that maybe a huge "servo-skull" look might work as well.

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wonderful sketches ! I think I just fell in love with your Abattoir (now, that is worrying... ?:80: ).

Idea for building it : carve a pyramid in polystyrene, and add guitar strings for the "legs". Trouble is, I don't know how "bendable" guitar strings are...

And while we're on the subject of scratch-building things, I just thought of something the other day at the supermarket for building Obelisks and (perhaps) Monolith : Triominos.

Paint them black (I see a red door and I... :p), add 3 small colored beads at each angle and a big one in the middle, and you have an Obelisk.

If you combine four of them, you can have a bigger triangle that could possibly make a passable (if somewhat different from GW's) Monolith.

I'll give it a try when I've finished painting my Iyanden army... probably next month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Guitar strings are very bendable, but they aren't really rigid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:12 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I did hear that you could bend the string into position and then use superglue to seep into it and keep it in shape.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My most frequent Epic opponent scratch-built himself a Necron army.  He's just crested 3,000 points worth, and I've fought it several times.  At the distance you normally look at the miniatures, it looks good.  I'll see if I can get him to post pictures.