Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

NetEA Sautekh Legion (Newcrons) 1.1 [Developmental]

Post subject: Re: NetEA Sautekh Legion (Newcrons) 1.0 [Developmental]
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Monoliths and Land Raiders have some pretty big differences for comparative purposes though:
1) Monoliths can deep strike (Teleport) very easily
2) A Monolith is a separate formation to what comes out of it. That has a few important sub points
a) You don't need to choose what is in it at the start of the game
b) The two units can move away from each other freely
c) The Monoliths can double without wasting the assault potential of the troops
d) The Monoliths can lay down pre-assault blast markers
e) A destroyed Monolith kills no transported models
3) Monoliths are fearless. This is a big bonus, even if they can break easily.
4) Troops can use Monolith portals to cross long distances through on-board teleporting (making them much more efficient for time)
5) Each Monolith can 'hold' much more than a Land Raider can in its portal

I like them as-is, but guess our differences are one of expectation- I expect the Monoliths to do nothing more than be very tough and to help with troop transport. If I wanted firepower I'd take a different unit.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 1:51 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah Geep hit it right on the head. Dont get me wrong though its ok to compair units in one army to another i just meant with necrons its a little harder because there is so much else to consder when making the compairison other than just the units weapons or statline. Because with this list everything is so heavily entwined with function sometimes the bigger aspect to consider is how it works in relation to everything else more than how it functions solo, monoliths especially. this is why I suggested adding the night scythes. i gwnerally find with a unit or teo of them it frees up my dependance on monolith portals and my opponet focuses less on them and has to worry more aboit troop placement other that just after deployment. this means they will focus less on your monoloth formations and youll be abke to get some assaults in with them which is where they excell.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great points guys. I guess what I need to do is perhaps 2 groups of 4 or one group of 4. Perhaps the obelisks with the monoliths are the weak point.

Just from so much 40k in my day, the monolith was a pretty good walking gun fortress, so I associate it with that still.

It is also my bad understanding of the portal rule. Do the troops teleport or just as their order on my turn can I pop through a portal? So I can move twice with the monolith, then either wait a turn or keep the int and have them come out and assault or firefight?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 3:17 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

scourn99 wrote:
It is also my bad understanding of the portal rule. Do the troops teleport or just as their order on my turn can I pop through a portal? So I can move twice with the monolith, then either wait a turn or keep the int and have them come out and assault or firefight?

So portals are very powerful. Any formation (that is infantry or AV with Walker ability) in reserve can enter the board through a portal using their activation provided that action has a move in it. So you can assault though a portal with a unit that is still in reserve at the beginning of the turn. You can do single or double action and move onto the board from reserves and shoot a target. Portals can work for units already on the board as well. A formation that takes an action with a move component can move into a portal that it is close, then out of a different portal anywhere else on the board (provided neither portal has been previously used). Going through a portal only affects the activation of the formation making the move not the formation that actually has the portal ability. So monoliths can move, not move, do what ever and even be broken and still a formation can move through the portal (provided it hasn't been previously used). You can even use portals with consolidation moves. Using a portal is not teleporting, you don't have to roll for taking blast markers like with teleporting. If you are playing the Raiders list you can even use portals to go back into reserves. If you are playing Sautekh you can't go back into reserves.

Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 7:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Finished updating the Armyforge File with [Developmental] V1.0 and sent it off to Adam/Kyuss, should be up soon.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:28 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got to play another game. Used the new 1.0 rules. Dont have the list with me on exact points, but it was something like 3000 each side

2 Pylons
2 Warbaques
2 Warriors units on foot, one overlord in a unit with C'Tan one with 3 triarch stalkers
4 monoliths
5 Oblisks
5 Doomsday
5 Heavy Destroyers

Vs my Nid army. We didnt get to play til the very end, but for most of the game the necrons were dominating.

My thoughts and notes:

Positives:
4 Monolith unit is a million times better then 2 with 3 oblisks that I have been running. Will try 2 groups of 4 at some point.

The 5 of Doomsday/Oblisks were a great value. I liked being able to just take the oblisks, and the extra doomsday helped.

I liked taking 2 warbargues instead of 1 Aeonic orb. Greanted if I knew I was going to fight lots of titans I might go for the orb, but I feel the 2 barques give you better options, and the pylons can handel the heavy hitters (They almost killed my Dominatrix turn 1!, the pylons that is)

Negatives:

5 Doomsday/Oblisks/anniliation formations are a bit undercosted I think. I feel 275 is a better price point. Not a huge increase, but its something.

C'tan - His points are so weird that he should either be made better and cost 200 or not count agaisnt your war machine cap of 1/3rd. As like last time, I went over the 1k limit for WE, because of him. He is pretty good, especially porting in whenever he wants into an assault to murder face, but I think it hurts list contruction more then anything for his points cost.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:59 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Yeah I've liked how groups of 4 monoliths have been performing too. I agree with your assessment of the indicium Maniple and would have no problem bumping them up a bit to 275. Warbarques are a great option. Decent weapons, very strong in assaults and can teleport. I agree 2 of them do better than the Orb in many situations.
Tyranids have a reputation for performing very poorly against necrons. Both are geared for engagements but FF specializing troops do much better than CC specializing troops in most situations.
I see what you mean about the C'tan being tough to include as you generally want to max out the WE allotment on other things but for how it performs I always thought its warranted being there. I'm not sure making it better just to increase the points purely for list construction ease is a good idea either. At 125 points it does fit roundly with the fliers (bomber 275 and scythes 175) already, unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean. Also Making it better might make the unit it joins too good, almost unkillable.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ahhh yea, flyers. His points would work out nice and even with groups of flyers.. Don't have any yet and usually I never play flyers so it slips my mind a lot!. To be fair then I will try a list of C'Tan and some flyers, or a list without him to see how well his points can be put to a different use. Also Praetorians are on the list of things I want to try now. 6 In a unit with a lord of the extra invuln save could be pretty deadly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played a game Last Fri. Did Grey Knights vs Necrons

Necrons crushed it. Two pylons shut down the GK air (as they should). Did the whole many things teleport in. This worked out very well to get into position. Also played the list with have the 5 Oblisk/anniliation barge/doomsday at 275 points instead of 250. This was more balanced in building the lists. So I vote for that. GKs were nearly all killed end of turn 2

Not to beat a dead horse, still feel the Nightlord/Deciever should not count to the limit for WEs.

Next time will focus on the tesseract vault/flyers/praetorians/ghost arks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:47 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

scourn99 wrote:
Not to beat a dead horse, still feel the Nightlord/Deciever should not count to WE.

You mean the C'tan right? Not that you are using the deceiver from the Raiders list.

I'm still not sold that he shouldn't be a WE. The C'tan adds a lot of power to the formation it's added to. I know it's a pain because of the 1/3 restriction but it needs some draw back. Open to other opinions if more people feel the same as Scourn99.

scourn99 wrote:
Also played the list with have the 5 Oblisk/anniliation barge/doomsday at 275 points instead of 250. This was more balanced in building the lists. So I vote for that.

I agree with this. I'll update the document shortly.

Mind posting the army list you used? Did your opponent deploy spread out? Did he/she attempt to neutralize the pylons before bringing in the air?

If possible would value your opponents opinions and thoughts as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Right the C'Tan is what I ment.

List was

1 Warrior Phanx
2 Extra Warr
Overlord
3 Triarch
1 Warrior Phanx
2 Extra Warr
3 Triarch
1 Warrior Phanx
2 Extra Warr
4 Monoliths
5 Doomsday
5 Obelisks
1 Aeonic Orb
1 Pylon
1 Pylon

Pylons obelisks and monoliths teleported in. I didnt run the necrons, friend did as hes getting into the game. I played the GK,

Both forces were kind of spread out. I should have spread more from the Aeonic orb death barrage. for being marines, I was brokens very quickly. Opponent had a great time. He loved the Orb.

while not necron specific, myself and others have come to the agreement that core books vs corebook is a good match up, and xenos vs xenos is a good matchup. Ususally when core goes agaisnt xenos, xenos crush it pretty hard. My GK really didnt have the killing power to punch through all the RA of necrons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Hmm did he keep all his infantry off the board and deploy them through the monoliths? I'm surprised that you couldn't shutdown or at least break the monoliths. That necron list is very risky. You can only portal between two points. Breaking the liths would mean lots of BMs going on the necron infantry using them. Overwatch is the big necron killer as you know where the infantry are going to come from. That combined with some supporting formations when the necron assaults happen should put you in good position to shut them down. The grey knights have a lot of good AP fire and should be eating through those warriors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

He kept the Obelisks, Monoliths, and Pylons off the board until turn 2, which it teleported in. The Obelisks came in my table half along with the Monoliths. The Pylons back in his area. One reason my GK fell hard was I didnt have supporting fire where he usually did. I should have ran formations closer when going to FF him. My one unit did and yea, it quickly ate his guys alive being 3+ base, and purifiers 2+

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:58 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Got a game In the other day and had a chance to use some triarch praetorians again. Tested them out in a couple incarnations, the current being very similar to sanguinary guard from the blood angels list. While a unit of 6 is pricy the 3+ save is too potent also it does not fit with the fluff st all as they have the same Stat line as an immortal in 40k. Unless there is any dissemination agreement I'm looking at changing the Stat line back to the 4+ save. Instead to justify their points I was thinking something like this:

M: 30cm, Sv: 4+, CC: 3+, FF: 4+, EA+1 MW, fearless, jump packs, Necron.
5th edition has them holding some very powerful short range pistol shot power weapon.

Paying the premium points for the high mobility on an INF unit with the Necron ability and fearless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:04 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I would rather see FF 5+ / 6+ as they don't have real ranged weaponry & FF is supposed to be 40k weapons fire.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next