Login |  Register |  FAQ

The other two Ctans!?

Post subject: The other two Ctans!?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Necron players!
I open here this post because well... this is the Necron developing section, so I hope I'm not wrong with that!
In the necron scarab list, the Approved one, there are the two famous Ctan Deceiver and Nightbringer. But what about the other two?

The Dragon and the Outsiders?
There is some playable unit profile of those two mysterious "war engines"?

Thank you?

[color=#00FF00]Epic Necron: 5070 pts[/color]

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The other two Ctans!?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Would be interested in seeing more on these new "Bad Guys" ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In the old 'Cron fluff and HH books, the Dragon is highly implied to be imprisoned on Mars (ostensibly by the Emperor) and the Outsider is imprisoned in a Dyson sphere in the galactic south (or was infact the Harlequin trickster god in disguse. Both wee hinted in various places). However still like the idea as part of a tipsy turvy what-if and wouldn't mind seeing a stab at them but there's not much to go on about them.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'd love to include those in Epic! But it's hard when I don't really know what they are. Has GW written more about them recently? (As in, in the last couple of years)

The only thing I know about the Dragon is that some has speculated that he's posing as the Machine God on Mars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Even in the new fluff there's very little given. I mean, now they're not even whole and instead just shards which isn't really fitting with the older styled Necron list (that's why we've got the Newcrons list :) ). One thing they did give was MORE C'Tan but there's very little by way of details about them (except for the one they destroyed which cursed them with the Flayer curse which makes him unavailable for obvious reasons).

However for Newcrons there's something called a Transcendent C'Tan which is where you bring a bunch of shards together and they form this crazy thing that's as dangerous to the Necrons as the enemy. I'm not too sure if that is something to try and model?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:49 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I believe the fluff abstractly references 11 of them, most only vaguely.

Aza'gorod, the Nightbringer: The first C'tan to encounter the Necrons. Powerful enough to impress its image as that of death itself on the psyche of the younger races, upon entering stasis it was almost destroyed by starvation but was released accidentally by the Dark Eldar, aided by a power-mad human industrialist named Kasimir de Valtos.
Iash'uddra, the Endless Swarm: A C'tan hated by the Silent King.
Llandu'gor, the Flayer: The only C'tan fully obliterated by the Necrons, in his death he cursed the Necrons with the flayer curse.
Mephet'ran, the Deceiver: The C'tan who made the bargain to turn the Necrontyr into the Necrons.
Nyadra'zatha, the Burning One: A C'tan that gave the necrons the ability to access the Webway.
Tsara'noga, the Outsider: A C'tan that went insane due to its consumption of other C'tan or possibly an Eldar deity.
Mag'ladroth, the Void Dragon: A figure of oblivion, wanton destruction and devastation. It was a master of the material realm and it's warriors were practically invincible. Speculated to be the Dragon of Mars.
Kalugura
Og'driada, the Arisen
Yggra'nya, the Moulder of Worlds: A C'tan's whose very thoughts could break apart a planet and reshape it in a form more pleasing to him.
Stardeath

I had the same thought and have been working on a tesseract vault resembling the 40K version. My shard is modeled after the void dragon. I've made him removable from the vault should I wish to field him on his own. Getting close to completion. I'll post pictures when done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If we were to model an old style C'Tan I'd vote for Yggra'nya as that could be rad to make rules for :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very Interesting Intel ... As I remember in a WD long ago, there was a tie somewhere along the line with the Necrons and the Eldar ... The other C'tan mentioned here have a bit of an Eldar feel to me ...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm affraid I can't be of much help. I never really read much about the C'tan or fluff-researched on them. They were a part of the earlier editions of necrons that I really disliked. It seemed so silly to me. Why would there still be anyone around to fight them if they were as powerful and god-like as they were described. I thought the new fluff was a big step forward with them beeing beaten and only left as shards.

It will however be interesting to see what you guys can come up with for stats for them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup that's still around L4. The Eldar were one of the younger races created by the old ones for The War in Heaven between them and the C'Tan

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Borka wrote:
I'm affraid I can't be of much help. I never really read much about the C'tan or fluff-researched on them. They were a part of the earlier editions of necrons that I really disliked. It seemed so silly to me. Why would there still be anyone around to fight them if they were as powerful and god-like as they were described. I thought the new fluff was a big step forward with them beeing beaten and only left as shards.

It will however be interesting to see what you guys can come up with for stats for them.

I thought this was quite well explained by the enslaver plague.... the old ones created so many psychic races to battle the necrontyr that it attracted the enslavers who used the psykers as conduits and began hoovering up all the sentient life in the galaxy faster than the c'tan could, depriving them of their food source, so they played the long game, and waited for the galaxy to repopulate itself.... personally I much prefer the older fluff to the new shard rubbish ;)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agreed. It removed all the eldritch horror shtick from their fluff. Now they're just alien robots with a suspiciously human feudal like organization and motivations ::)

Anyways... OT

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ulrik wrote:
IThe only thing I know about the Dragon is that some has speculated that he's posing as the Machine God on Mars.

Not so much posing as, he is the AM's Machine God. He was allegedly the most powerful of the C'tan and may have fought the Emperor during the human middle ages (inspiring the St George and the dragon myth) and the Emperor beat him and trapped him on Mars, where he sleeps to this day. He was excellent with machines and making things and it is his dreams / aura that inspired the settlers of Mars to become so tech obsessed (the Emperor trapped him there deliberately because he wanted to inspire this and create a technologically advanced human society to fuel the Great Crusade).

If he ever fully wakes up most of the Adeptus Mechanicus will likely side with him, no longer repairing or maintaining the Imperium's technology and the Imperium would be utterly screwed and quickly fall. The Necrons sent a suicidal fleet of 5 ships into the solar system, one of which suceeded in landing on Mars in the area of the Nocturn labyrinth where the Dragon sleeps. A book detailing the secrets of the void dragon and the lie of Mars was stolen from the Guardian the Emperor left guarding the Void Dragon with supposedly dire consequences for the future and some of the AM may now be trying to wake the Dragon and sacrificing themselves to it to do so.

Cool list Atension, I didn't know a lot of that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
Borka wrote:

I thought this was quite well explained by the enslaver plague.... the old ones created so many psychic races to battle the necrontyr that it attracted the enslavers who used the psykers as conduits and began hoovering up all the sentient life in the galaxy faster than the c'tan could, depriving them of their food source, so they played the long game, and waited for the galaxy to repopulate itself.... personally I much prefer the older fluff to the new shard rubbish ;)

Yeah that part I know. I ment more about the specifics of the different C'tans. :)

I know I'm in a minority seems most people prefer the old fluff ;D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Given the Void Dragon's background it would be cool to do a scenario or campaign (set further on in the future from 40k) where it wakes up. It'd be Void Dragon's Necrons (apparently way tougher and more powerful with weaponry like lightning) fighting alongside Adeptus Mechanicus versus still loyal Adeptus Mechanicus.