Login |  Register |  FAQ

Necron 2013 Playtesting feedback

Post subject: Necron 2013 Playtesting feedback
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Post reports from playtest games using the Necron 2013 Playtest list here.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Necron 2013 Playtesting feedback
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:00 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nothing to report?

I haven't played any myself, which is not good, but I can't change this based on feedback only from games from my own little group...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not sure if it's worth this posting at all, as it was only my second Necron game but I lost to a Vp tiebreak 2-2(Blitz/T&H vs Blitz/T&H, 1050VPs to 1400) against Steel Legion imperial guard yesterday. Still getting to grip with Necron tacitcs as I could have changed the game drastically by placing my pylons differently.

I used the current Necron List but kept an eye out for situations where the playtest changes would've had an effect. Only 1 came up as there was no TK in my opponents army, a lone broken monolith was shot at by a lone warhound(part of a pack that I sent running with an early portal assault), it didn't survive but its chances were much better under the old LM rule vs MW.

I had intended to use my Nightbringer but I couldn't find my model so had to go without a SC re-roll, which was a pain in the ass as I failed two saveable activation/rally rolls. I did however use destroyers in it's place and found them to be quite usefull.

I'm happy to keep playtesting, I certainly enjoyed my game. But I'm noticing that my choices are limited by my collection somewhat, need to get some Flayed ones I think. My opponent did think the army under-powered but we'll see if I can change that opinion as I gain experience using them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Any feedback is welcome!

Just add a note if you feel you're inexperienced :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Game yesterday, 3k vs Eldar (Biel-tan)

2 Warrior Phalanxes (with immortals and pariahs, 1 BTS)
2 Monolith Phalanxes
2 Armoured Phalanxes
Destroyers (no heavies)
2 Pylons
Nightbringer

Eldar had War Walkers, Falcons, Rangers, a Guardian host with full platforms, a Hawk host, an Avenger host in Wave Serpents (with Autarch), Jetbikes, a Void Spinner and a Warlock Titan.

The Necrons lost, mostly through bad play (but my opponent keeps sending me suggestions for buffing them, heh). The Opening gambit of assaulting the guardian formation that was blitz guarding failed through bad dice rolls, though. If they had been cleared out it would have given the Nightbriner a relatively safe place to enter on turn two and still be a factor in the game (he instead threatened the Void Spinner and got flattened by the Avengers). Other than that the Necrons came down over two turns, spread over the entire battlefield. Destroyers killed 5 Hawks (reducing them to an annoyance), an Armored Phalanx opened the game by killing 5 of 6 War Walkers and the lesser Warrior Phalanx wiped out the Falcons. Still had nothing that could really threaten the Titan or the Avengers, and they ate multiple formations while the remnants of broken eldar formations kept their activation count up.

Living Metal didn't really come into it - only one monolith was killed, but it didn't really matter. The Pylons managed to shoot once (and missed) and where otherwise broken. Should probably not teleport them.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hello gentlemen !

This weekend i had an epic game, using my necrons for the first time (old approved list).
At first i had no plan what to do ::) and how to do it... even teleporting needs some planning ahead..
However, trial and error and (i am a Squat player and i missed the stand and shoot option ;D )
some engages later (first blood) i got to learn the basics. keep them close, keep them dense and rush in.
Teleporting my c tan i did wrong by placing him to far away from any enemy unit.. No chance for him to get anywhere....stranded..uuuups..
The necron ability is great . Had lost 5 out of 10 units, marshall offboard moving onto the board and then "necron" rolling 4 and 5..and they where back. This was when my partner used the f-word that often. :o
Acccording to the portal ability questions occured how to use them in a correct way.
A portal can be used once per turn, for entering or for leaving the battlefield. Do you count the single units as diffrent portals (3 Monoliths-3 portals) or is it the formation itself (3 Monoliths-1 Portal).?

Next thing..living metal. As long as you roll 3,2 1 (like i did most of the time last friday) ..you are done for anyway..

kind regards stefan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1 portal per unit, not formation - so a Monolith Phalanx (3 monoliths) has 3 portals! A formation of infantry (etc) can also use more than one portal per action - entering one to exit another, or engaging out of one and then using the consolidate move to get back off the table through another if they win the assault.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I was the player facing the Necrons the other day (see 2 posts above)...

I get the feeling, if used correctly this is an army that is very hard to beat. With the whole army teleporting, you can place for example, 3 formations of Monoliths right on top of your enemy. Since breaking these Monoliths doesn't in any way hinder the portals from being used, and killing so many with only 2 (or 3 in case of Eldar) activations is simply impossible, you can expect to have most of the Necron army attack one of your weaker points in your line....especially if you field a lot of those inflitratior-type units.

Next thing, regeneration. Means you can either concentrate on killing the whole formation, or concentrate on destroying the portals (so the Nec formations have to stay off-table). Both is equally difficult IMO, but the possibility to bring back up to 6 armour 4+, FF 4+, CC 4+ bases is just too much. Make it D3 or something, that is more reasonable.

"Living Metal" + Fearless.
Currently it's not a bad thing for the Nec player if his Monolith formation gets broken. Cannot be killed by additional BMs, doesn't get hackdown in CC, just can be parked near the enemy army...
I don't mind Living Metal as such, but I think there should be a mechanic that rewards the opponent for concentrating on killing the Monoliths, for example, if broken, then they loose their "Thick rear armour" rule or something. Or don't make them fearless, just give them the Space Marine rule (they shall know no fear).

cheers,

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

dear Ulrik !

Thank you for answering my questions. :) .
Kind regards from good old Austria

nafets

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was looking at this yesterday actually - I believe the rule as stated in the compendium is that you get RA saves against anything other than TK hits. Don't think you've failed any of those in our current game though ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That's not totally correct. The version in the 2013 playtest list is the one I'd like to test. The current approved version is the one in the compendium. If you use the playtest list and post feedback I'd be ecstatic :)

Your understanding of LM is correct for the playtest version.