Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

NetEA Sautekh Legion (Newcrons) 0.4 [Experimental]

Post subject: Re: NetEA Sautekh Legion (Newcrons) 0.3 [Experimental]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Perhaps if the portal is used for air assault then they must be coin t ed as a single formation (like flyers do now) and if the formation consolidated via the the plane cannot perform a disengagement move?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As a complete outsider (having no experience with or against me done of any flavour of cron) i would have to say the current portal rule seems to break the fundental concept of EA/war - that troops become less effective as they come under fire.

I had a game against death guard at the Exeter tournament - another army I had no experience of - which was a little frustrating as all the fearless meant nothing ran away when I broke it, But at least they were diminished in effectiveness. I didn't do great, but at least it didn't seem a "trick." Necrons must be annoying as hell to face! Breaking becomes an free double move for extra engage range!

Obviously the Monoliths need to be tough as hell to avoid the crons being stuck off the table. Surely some simple way can be found for BMs and breaking to at hamper their assaults so the fundamental concepts/strategies of battle apply to them too?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Breaking becomes an free double move for extra engage range!

This.

One of the other issues with broken portals/gates. Could the Necron Ponderous rule be re-worded to state they can't move? They're already fearless so proximity to enemy won't matter.

At this point, Monoliths can double up 30cm, shoot the target at 30cm range for prep; Enemy can then shoot them and perhaps break them but they can flee a further 30cm towards the opponents then have a BM-clean engagement formation come out and hit the prepped target gaining an immediate +2 resolution. A 60cm Movement does not make them slow.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:29 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Quote:
The synergy between aircraft, portal and the rest of the list is to great I think. The problem I see with transport though is internal balance within the list. Atension do you think you'd still use them if they had transport instead? Or wouldn't they be good enough in comparison to the portals?

Their stats would need a complete overhaul of they were made to be transports. With their current stats they would be so so vulnerable to AA fire. Almost all other transports are multi DC with better armour. I really can't see them working as transports or if you do decide to change them to make them viable as transports the fluffiness will be absolutely gone. It would make more sense if you need to change them just ditch the portal and transport idea entirely. You'd have to boost them a little then or drop their points. It would push all the portal reliance back to groups of monoliths though.

In all honest if they lost the portal ability and became transports I would not be using them no.

Quote:
Concerning living metal. How did you find the invulnerable save? Did you find it an improvement? For now I'd suggest we use the old LM rule but having to take a save against each point of TK damage.

Changing the living metal made no difference in the two games I played. Both times they were never hit with MW or TK attacks and I never saved using the inv so it was moot.

I'm game to try whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Blip wrote:
As a complete outsider (having no experience with or against me done of any flavour of cron) i would have to say the current portal rule seems to break the fundental concept of EA/war - that troops become less effective as they come under fire.

I had a game against death guard at the Exeter tournament - another army I had no experience of - which was a little frustrating as all the fearless meant nothing ran away when I broke it, But at least they were diminished in effectiveness. I didn't do great, but at least it didn't seem a "trick." Necrons must be annoying as hell to face! Breaking becomes an free double move for extra engage range!

Obviously the Monoliths need to be tough as hell to avoid the crons being stuck off the table. Surely some simple way can be found for BMs and breaking to at hamper their assaults so the fundamental concepts/strategies of battle apply to them too?

Eldar storm serpents have been doing exactly this for years.....

it gets on my nerves as well, but really it is just a (very) different way of playing the game, most people's first few games against a competent necron player usually go very badly, but eventually you get the hang of it (or at least I hope you do....)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
it gets on my nerves as well, but really it is just a (very) different way of playing the game, most people's first few games against a competent necron player usually go very badly, but eventually you get the hang of it (or at least I hope you do....)

this, so much this.

if someone can't win against a particular list has anything else been considered other than the list itself as the cause for the loss?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:

Not so much this.

I've played against the Raiders list and understand the counter. This list breaks from that design to compensate for weaknesses so your counters are irrelevant....

Some things are just broken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just an idea, could the necron no march rule also have an effect on withdrawal moves. One move instead of two?

/Fredmans

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:40 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Borka has already started to think along these lines with the special rule - Ponderous - Units with this rule are very slow even by necron standards. When broken then they may only make a single withdrawal move, not the usual two.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks Tim, you beat me to it! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Tiny-Tim wrote:
Borka has already started to think along these lines with the special rule - Ponderous - Units with this rule are very slow even by necron standards. When broken then they may only make a single withdrawal move, not the usual two.

As mentioned though, it just gives them another move towards the enemy. How about a no move withdrawal?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dobbsy wrote:
Tiny-Tim wrote:

As mentioned though, it just gives them another move towards the enemy. How about a no move withdrawal?

Yes it's still a move, but that's less than in the raiders list. I think that no move would be to harsh.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Borka wrote:
Yes it's still a move, but that's less than in the raiders list. I think that no move would be to harsh.

Harsh in what way, Borka?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:01 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

If you make it so they have no withdraw move then they would be much to easy to avoid. You can already break them very very easy, then if they had no chance to consolidate you could just back up the formation out of assault range when they activate and completely eliminate the whole strength of the force. Necrons only are effective in assaults if they can't get in assault range then the list is mostly toothless. Especially if they try to take the portals off the flyers. The troops have crap armour for the most part and extremely short range pathetic shooting. The whole LM debate as well...

I'm all for making changes to ballance and make the list more enjoyable to face but almost everyone seems hell bent on taking away what makes it unique.

Post subject: NetEA Sautekh Legion (Newcrons) 0.3 [Experimental]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

atension wrote:
If you make it so they have no withdraw move then they would be much to easy to avoid. You can already break them very very easy, then if they had no chance to consolidate you could just back up the formation out of assault range when they activate and completely eliminate the whole strength of the force. Necrons only are effective in assaults if they can't get in assault range then the list is mostly toothless. Especially if they try to take the portals off the flyers. The troops have crap armour for the most part and extremely short range pathetic shooting. The whole LM debate as well...

I'm all for making changes to ballance and make the list more enjoyable to face but almost everyone seems hell bent on taking away what makes it unique.

I think that's a little bit of an overreaction. Having a weakness is not the same as being useless, and adding a counter to something doesn't remove it from the army. Portals will still exist, they just won't be 100% effective if your opponent manages to break them, like every other unit in the game. The whole point here is that your opponent should have a way to shut down the portals where currently they don't. You're arguing that they shouldn't be able to stop the Necrons doing what they want.

Bear in mind that in order to be able to escape, your opponent would need to break the monoliths AND move out of range before your activation, and that's really not that easy to do. If you manage to shut down one set, there's still the rest of the army in your face.

And finally, remember that for every weakness introduced into a balanced army comes a commensurate boost elsewhere.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next