Login |  Register |  FAQ

Sautekh Legion Battle Reports

Post subject: Sautekh Legion Battle Reports
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok so I had a second game with the list (v0.2).

This time I faced regular codex marines. My buddy hadn't played against necrons before so that was to his general disadvantage. He's experienced with epic though and had read through the list/rules.

The list I took was the following:

Code:
Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Ne(W)crons (NetEA Ne(W)crons v0.1)
==================================================

TOMB COMPLEX [75]

INFANTRY PHALANX [375]
Necron Lord, 6 Sautekh Warriors, Ghost Arks

INFANTRY PHALANX [325]
Necron Lord, 10 Sautekh Warriors

IMMORTAL PHALANX [425]
Necron Overlord, 8 Immortals

TRIARCH MANIPLE [325]
4 Triarch Praetorians, Canoptek

PYLON [200]
Pylon

TESSERACT VAULT [350]

MONOLITH MANIPLE [275]
3 Monoliths

MONOLITH MANIPLE [200]
1 Monolith, 2 Obelisks

MONOLITH MANIPLE [200]
1 Monolith, 2 Obelisks

STALKER MANIPLE [250]
4 Triarch Stalkers

I don't have my opponents list, but it was a ground based marine list with a reaver. I'm starting to loose the details from memory, we played thursday the week before the current, so please bare with me.

Anyways onto turn 1.

Terrain an deployment.
The familiar old bombed out abandoned imperial city touch.

Next photo shows necron teleports. Terminators elected to stay of board. Kind of ballsy move with the tesseract, ut I wanted to be able to sustain if I were to be lucky enough to start. If I wouldn't get to start then it was at least a very big concerned for his clumped up units to force him to react (and thereby letting my portals untouched) i relied on living metal (LM) to save me if I didn't get to go first.

SM of course got the initiative.

land raiders started with a sustain. The vault was hull down for two of them. A bunch of hits were produced but, LM only let one through. Disaster struck however and critical was scored. Barrage template was placed and two hits suffered by the Vault. This was two much apparently for the necron construct and the bound C'tan shard destroyed the vault from within (I failed both LM saves loosing two more DC).

Vindicators followed up with a retain. I had suffered 2 blast markers (BM) when teleporting in. No damaged was caused but the BM for coming under fire was enough to break the formation. Being ponderous I elected to stay put. I had already lost two activations so were feeling behind.

Necrons answered with doubling up the ghost ark warriors. One ark was lost to an overwatching Razorback. The scouts took no casualties in return but got the crucial BM.

Immortals retained and engaged. One unit was lost for a BM and all marines died or were hacked down.

Marines wanted to force my hand and sent in the airplanes to stall. One Ark was hit but I made my save. 1 unit of warriors were lost however.

Initiative went back to the necrons. Triarch praetorians assaulted out of the broken monolith. They have 30cm move being jump pack troops, so I could get all of them into base contact. They won easily and with the canoptekhs inspiring won easily and hacked down the lone surviving tank.

I consolidated into the hills (designated before game to give 6+ cover save).

I wanted to put pressure on my opponent so I retained. I decided to fly my unused portals to were they could be more of a threat. I doubled the Monlith Phalanx forward.

The above was a giant Brain Fart on my part. Somehow I forgot to take the, yet to activate, titian into the calculation (it was at the other side of a hill). Naturally this is what happened...

With all portals gone (or used) there was only one formation left for me to activate. The pylon went to overwatch. I was feeling rather uncomfterable with only three portals left for me (1 maniple of board).

Assault marines marched across the field close to my pylon. I elected no to shoot at them using my overwatch.

Land speeders doubled and tried to kill some praetorians but missed all shots.

The broken monolith manila failed to rally, all other necron formations rallied.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sautekh Legion Battle Reports
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 2.

Initiative again went to marines. Terminators elected to stay of board.

I teleported in the second Monolith Maniple in an aggressive manner, close to the Marine Blitz corner.

The Dreadnought tacticals started by giving up their overwatch to sustain. Several hits were scored but I made most saves and crucially the monolith survived.

I couldn't, due to ponderous, retreat so far. This enabled the Land Raiders (which retained) to take "just" an advance move and still see, I at least got hulled down (so the effect was the same as if they would have doubled). A bunch of hits were produced, but I made all saves so the unused portal survived.

My first activation was to send forth the Triarch Stalkers on a double. They have ignore cover and MW5+ on their shooting attack (and in FF) so I thought they'd be be handy in killing marine infantry. I shot at the Tacticals and killed one marine unit.

I retained with the immortals who were relocated using the "portal of exile" rule of the monolith portals. I engaged the tacticals and land raider declaring them intermingled.

I won the engagement but lost 4 units so the immortals got broken (which was rather bad. It was my BTS and ne(w)crons don't get to phase out so your stuck on table.) The marines lost most of the tacticals but none of the tanks I think.

Next picture was taken after all retreating was done.

Marines went for BTS and the land speeders doubled producing no hits to my great relief (they have MW so I would not have gained any save. 1 unit was lost to BM-hack down.

The Marine player really wanted to exploit a the BTS being broken and retained with the reaver. It doubled and fired. He was rather unlucky with attack rolls so only one hit was scored. I was a very happy camper when I made my save, as one kill would have been enough to wipe out the formation. Instead only one unit was taken out through the BM (leaving two alive).

I didn't have that many formations left to activate. The warriors with ghost arks didn't have any enemies close by so opted to just double closer to the central objective. It was slow since they lacked 1 transport.

After this marines tried again to kill the immortal BTS. The thunderbolts made a ground attack (on a 3+ roll, they had a Bm after exiting the wrong way). Again one hit was produced but then duly saved. Another unit was lost, leaving just a few lonely immortals standing.

I believe I activated my Pylon just to go to overwatch again. It was then engaged in CC by the assault marines. The pylon killed one unit on the way in though. I think I suffered 1 point of damage leaving us on equal points. The Marines won the roll off and the pylon broke. The marines consolidated back to stay as far away as possible from the blitz tomb complex.

I then brought forth my 10 strong warrior formation from reserves. I assaulted out of the Tomb Complex portal. Only for of my units were able to get within 15 cm of the assault marines. The five attack (+1 from Lord) was enough though, 1 marine unit survived but was killed through hack downs (1 won by a two points margin).

My Praetorians couldn't really do anything worthwhile so just doubled up to were the action was (up in left corner of the ruined house).

The end phase saw me rally everything.

The SC tacticals also failed to rally. The tanks rallied though.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Turn 3

The terminators elected to show up. The came in close to the most central objective. I think this was a tactical error of my opponent. They should probably have been used in a more aggressive manor. Close to my blitz or at least near my ghost ark warriors.

Initiative went to marines.

Who started by sustaining with the titan. My just rallied forward monolith maniple was killed outright. (no picture I'm afraid).

Marines retained with the speeders and broke the Immortals again killing one unit which left a lone survivor

I doubled up my last remaining portal and laid a BM on the land speeders.

I retained with the warriors over at my blitz (something I wouldn't have been able to do had the terminators threaten it) and engaged out of the portal. Two Land speeders were destroyed. Necrons lost 1 or 2 warriors but won the dice of. The surviving land speeders retreated beyond the hill.

Marines activated the tanks and marshaled. They moved up to stop being intermingled with the tacticals. And luckily for me actually had one BM left after regrouping.

Necrons advanced with the stalkers. MW killed one of the tanks.

I retained with the Praetorians and was careful to stay out of 15 cm of the titan.

The result of the engagement was this

The two surviving tanks were killed through hack downs. I consolidated like this to grab bblitz.

Thunderbolts ground attacked and killed the last broken immortal unit.

Terminators conga-lined to grab T&H they also shot and killed a warrior unit (I think?).

Necrons answered with the Ghost arks. I failed my activation so could only take a single move but it was enough to contest one of the defensive objectives denying marines the T&H victory goal.

This concluded the game. Necrons had Blitz and Take and Hold. Marines had BTS so it ended 2:1 in favor of the Necrons.

Here's an end of game overview picture.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Fantastic report, those Necrons are looking sweet. Ta for sharing.

My Personal Blog: http://mickeysminishome.blogspot.co.uk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great report! Tackar!

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep, I'm not an E:A player but I thoroughly enjoyed that report! Thanks for sharing! :)

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

One correction: the third salvo of the titan didnt shot on the infantry which the Imperial Navy later wiped out ,
but it turned around after the land speeders had fired and cleared out the necron formation with 1 portal at the SM edge of the board.

Oh and btw the terminators open fired but didnt kill anything , hence the lonely BM

Nice game , slipped through the SM player fingers , didnt see that comeback
eventhough I was acting "combat-cam" through the hole thing ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok so I got it the wrong way. Thanks! That seems more reasonable, come to think of it doesn't look like the speeders would even have had enough range from their position. I will edit above.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

3000 POINTS
Steel Legion (NetEA Army Compendium v20120208)

MECHANISED INFANTRY COMPANY [450]
Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra, commissar
REGIMENTAL HQ [550]
Supreme Commander, 12 Infantry, 7 Chimera, Hydra
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts
THUNDERBOLT FIGHTERS [150]
2 Thunderbolts
WARHOUND TITAN [275] commissar
WARHOUND TITAN [275] commissar
VULTURE SQUADRON [300]
4 Vultures
STORM TROOPER PLATOON [350]
8 Storm Troopers, Valkyrie Transport, commissar
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores commissar
ARTILLERY BATTERY [250]
3 Manticores commissar

Incompertus, 3000 POINTS
Necron Sautekh Expansion (0.3) With LM Nerf

WARRIOR PHALANX [325]
9 Sautekh Warrior unit, Necron Overlord
WARRIOR PHALANX [275]
Necron Lord, 9 Sautekh Warrior unit
IMMORTAL PHALANX [350]
Necron Lord, 8 Immortal units
VENATOR MANIPLE [200]
6 Flayed Ones units
MONOLITH MANIPLE [275]
3 Monoliths
MONOLITH MANIPLE [275]
3 Monoliths
IUDICIUM MANIPLE [300]
4 Doomsday Ark units
NIGHT SCYTHES [175]
2 Night Scythes
NIGHT SCYTHES [175]
2 Night Scythes
NIGHT SCYTHES [175]
2 Night Scythes
PYLON [200]
Pylon
TESSERACT VAULT [275]
1 Tesseract Vault

Stormtroopers garrison (left middle of board) on Overwatch
Valkeries garrison on (center of board) Overwatch
Teleport Pylon - 1BM
Teleport Vault – No BM
Teleport Monoliths 1 – No BM

Attachment:
IMAG1127.jpg
IMAG1127.jpg [ 838.25 KiB | Viewed 9181 times ]

Turn 1 – Guard win Strategy
G- Storm troopers Double and fire at the pylon, 1BM (2 hits, 2 saves)
G- CAP Thunderbolts 1
N- Scythes 1 ground attack Valkyries - CAP Kills one scythe – Scythes kill one Valkyrie – 2BM
G- Mechanized 1 goes on Overwatch
G- Cap thunderbolts 2
N- Scythes intercept Thunderbolts 1 – CAP kills both scythes
G- Manticores 1 fail to activate twice. 1BM - Rally hold action.
N- Vault Advance fires on Stormtroopers, kills a trooper – 2BM
G- Valkyries Marshal shoot monoliths 1 (2 hits, 2 saves) – 1BM
N- Scythes ground attack stormtroopers, (2 kills, one vulture, one trooper) – 3BM
N- Phalanx 1 engage stormtroopers – (N- 5 hits, G- 7 hits, G+5, N+4) tied dice roll, guard win by 1. Guard broken by blastmarkers and stay in position.
G- Manticores 2 fail activation – 1BM
N- Monolith double and shoot manticore 1, Overwatch(from manticores) kills 1 monolith, monoliths broken.
G- Double Warhound 1 to shoot monoliths 1, 0 hits.
N- Immortals engage Mechanized 1, Overwatch from mech kills 4 and breaks them.
N- Phalanx 2 engage mechanized 1, (N- 6 hits, G- 5 hits, G+5, N+5) Necron lose roll 2 to 5, sigh! Retreat behind building.
G- Overwatch on Reg HQ
N- Doomsday advance on warhound 2 3 hits = 1 DC and a critical that makes it stager 1cm and does nothing!!
G- Advance warhound 2, shoots on doomsday arcs (No hits) = 1BM

Rally turn 1 –
Necron fail all rolls (including one re-roll!) except for monoliths 1.
Guard Rally all except stormtroopers (still broken and stay in place)
Scythes 2 take fire and remaining one dies from flak at disengage.

Teleport monoliths 2 near mechanized 1 and 2 objectives, no BM
Teleport Flayed ones in the same area, 2 BM

Turn 2 – Necron win Strategy
N- Vault doubles and shoots at mechanized 1, 3 BM on Mechanized 1 and 1 BM on Warhound 1 (from barrage).
N- Flayed engage Mechanized 1, (N- 4 hits, G- 3 hits, G+3, N+5), after rolls necron wins engagement by 1. Mech flee south to middle of board.
G- Valkyries advance and shoot monoliths 2 (2 hits, 2 saves),(Some terrible rolling on hit dice) - 1 BM.
G- Manticores 1 sustained on Immortals (miss all hits), 1 BM kills 1 more (only 3 left).
N- Monolith 1 engage manticores 1, (N- 2 hits, G- 0 hits, G+3, N+2) Necron win the resolution by 1, fearless commissar remains remaining manticore flees.
G- Warhound 1 engages monoliths 2, (N- 2 hits, G- 4 hits, G+4, N+2), one monolith dies, necron loses combat by 3.
N- Doomsday Arcs, Move and fire at warhound 2 (all miss) – 1BM
N- Scythes 3 ground attack Manticores 2, (kills 2 breaks the unit)
G- Thunderbolts 1 intercept and kill both remaining scythes
G- Thunderbolts 2 ground attack Immortals kill 1 BMs finish off remaining 2, (BTS gone)
G- Warhound 1 Advances on Doomsday arcs,(1 hit 1 save) - 1BM
G- Regimental HQ Triples moves towards blitz objective.

Rally turn 2 –
Necron - Overlord phalanx, pylon and doomsday arcs rally. (Everything else fails)
Guard – Everything rallies except the stormtroopers (again!)

Attachment:
IMAG1128.jpg
IMAG1128.jpg [ 861.66 KiB | Viewed 9181 times ]

Turn 3 – Guard win Strategy
G- Warhound 2 engages and barges the doomsday arcs, (N-4 hits, G-1 hit, G+1, N+2), Dooms save, 1DC on Warhound, Warhound loses combat resolution by 2 and breaks.
G- Warhound 1 engages flayed ones (FF range) (N- 0 hits, G- 2 hits (1 kill), G+3, N+1) wins resolution by 1 (commissar!!!!)
N- overlord phalanx marshal move into support position of mechanized, regenerate 2 warriors (rolled double 2’s sigh…)
N- Vault engages (N- 7 hits, G- 4 hits, G+3, N+6), wipes out mechanized 1DC on Vault.
G- Regimental HQ engages Doomsday arcs, (N- 4 hits, G- 7 hits, All dooms die to hits)
G- Thunderbolts 1 ground attack flayed ones kill 2, broken.

Called the game – Necrons had no more activations and guard had 2 more.

Guard 4 (All except hold the line)
Necron 0

Just curious about the FAQ that mentions that a commissar can go on a Warhound and why that was changed. My opponent specifically said there was one and I took his word for it. The crazy amount of extra FREE commissars with fearless and inspiring is quite overboard. Valkyries are also crazy! Garrisoning overwatch scout skimmers that have 2x 2+AT shots each at 90cm is ridiculous! I don’t feel as bad about the Doomsday Arcs anymore. The overwatching mechanized units and the garrisons were what did me in. He didn’t even need to castle against the portals as the infantry coming out were just mowed down and lost most of their effectiveness.

Scythes are garbage interceptors. Guard quite easily shut down the pylon and then maintained air superiority after the first turn. This pretty much eliminated the flyer portal threat.

Vault did well but not overly so, It helped prepping close nit units and doing a bit of damage and was nice as it was decently mobile but not really overpowered it was mostly ignored by the guard player.

Doomsday Arcs did well and the small arms +1 was quite handy. I still feel they might be all round a little good.

The change in LM didn’t change anything in this case as all the MW shots against them from warhound 1 missed. Breaking them was quite effective as I had no support for my infantry engagements. Breaking them was really really easy.

Pylon did nothing the whole game just stayed broken for the most part.

I would have fared much better had any of my damn infantry rallied at the end of turn 1! That was quite annoying.

A comment on my previous comment that the Sautekh list is lacking weaknesses I take that back as they have several when facing the Guard. The guard are much more well-rounded and extremely good at everything! The stormtroopers in vultures based on statistical rolls will easily out match any warrior unit as they have the same FF4+ larger numbers and have much much better transports!

THE COMMISSARS ARE REDICULUS! Lol, sorry for the rage!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work boyz !

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for sharing Atension.

Ouch seems there was some bad luck on your part. missing all those turn 1 rally rolls gives for a bad start turn 2. Only killing 1 storm trooper with the Vault turn 1 also.

Btw no commissars can't join any allies to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:06 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Borka wrote:
Thanks for sharing Atension.

Ouch seems there was some bad luck on your part. missing all those turn 1 rally rolls gives for a bad start turn 2. Only killing 1 storm trooper with the Vault turn 1 also.

Btw no commissars can't join any allies to my knowledge.

yep looks like they can, though I can't say I agree.

http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=18419

6.4.1 Commisars

Q: Can Commissars be placed in Titans or even Spacecraft if they are included in a Steel Legion army?
A: Yes, you can add Commissars to any formation in the army, including Titans, aircraft or spacecraft if you wish to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I played the guard.
Just a couple of points of clarity:
armylist: Manticore 1 did not have a commisar, the Regiment HQ did instead.
in turn 1 my Manticore 2 failed to activate and shot at the Monoliths (vs overwatch shot them per the above report)

second, regarding commisars, this is the first time I have played them being in a titan unit after reading the FAQ mentioned above. I have always played it up till this point were the could only join an "IG" unit and not an "ally" (titan, aircraft, spacecraft). That being said, the only engage action where it would have mattered in the above report was against the flayed ones, where it would have been to my benefit to go into a second round of combat where they couldn't attack back due to distance.

couple of my comments on the game:
Atension should have been clipping instead of going after the whole IG unit of 21 models. He would have had much better success.
My storm troopers camped out beside the Pylon to ensure its inactivity (350 pts locking down 200pts). Both units stayed broken for the majority of the game because of that. Benefit to me was it allowed my air power to be effective.
Yes, turn 1 was horrible for rallying the necrons, but that was by design, I purposely broke and had units within 30cm of his units to ensure they stayed broken.
That being said turn 1 was poor for my activations, with both Manticore 1 and 2 failing there activations (even with a re-rolls) and both Warhounds missing with all there shooting (all 4 macro shots missed!!!) resulting in 4 activations (the previously mentions units (1050pts worth)) killing 1 unit and placing a total of 5 blast markers!!!!!

It was a good game that required careful consideration on each move and a focus on the end game from turn 1.
Both of us had a turn of bad dice which I think evened out.

Comments on the list:
there are units that are still need adjustment.
i like the portal flyers but agree that they need serious adjustment
i do not like how portal function currently (more thought on this forthcoming)

Enjoyable game that required some serious thinking and planning ahead.

Thanks Atension