Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Night Lords: a work in progress

Post subject: Re: Night Lords: a work in progress
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The lightning/electric effect, is very cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I got back to work tonight on the Warhound proxies. I ended up deciding on red for the armor color, and bronze/copper/gold for the exposed metal. I ended up getting one completed making good progress on one tonight, and the other base coated.

Now that I look at it, I'm not entirely happy with the shading on the red on one of the hips, so I might go back and fix that at some point. I plan on basing them like the Reaver, with blue lightning on the base. This way I hope to tie it in to the army, as well as give the impression of void shields.

And again, the base model is the Warmachine Cryx Nightwretch, by Privateer Press.

Questions, comments, and criticisms are welcomed!

Night Lords Sub-AC

Night Lords Painting Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice. That is a really cool model as well, fits perfectly as a chaosy, messed up organic warhound proxy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Alf O'Mega wrote:
Very nice. That is a really cool model as well, fits perfectly as a chaosy, messed up organic warhound proxy.

Thanks! I think it'll go nicely with the models I'm going to be using for daemons, the carrion swarm from Exodus Wars. I'm expecting the package any day now (hopefully today, tracking showed they were in Boston yesterday morning). I figure they'll look somewhat like furies...fingers crossed!

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I have the IG trooper you requested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dwarf Supreme wrote:
I have the IG trooper you requested.

MY HERO! :D

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The carrion swarm models from Exodus Wars finally came in the mail (after a small tracking snafu and a "snowstorm"). I'm going to be doing 3 to a base, and decided to do a furies sort of daemon, hence the birdies. There were 40 in the pack, I was going to have one spare, and initially there were two ways I was considering painting the models:

1. in the warp
2. in the "real" world

There was no question on how I wanted to paint the bird itself, based white, lots of blue/purple/black washes, with light white drybrushing, looking like they were made from the warp itself. The trouble is with the posts they're on, they're huge! Once I got them glued to test bases (a mistake on my part was gluing them grid side up, as you'll see) and got them primed, I could see at once it was going to be an absolute pain to make it look "clear" or like "air" or "wind". I had messed around a little with greentuff to try and imitate plumes of air off the post, but I think my workspace is a little too cold for working with greenstuff properly (my thermometer is showing 58 F). So, I decided to give the warp base/post a shot tonight.

The results:

I'm pretty please with how the bird came out, although it was a lot of trial and error with the washes. I'm lucky (in a sense) that it's also dry here, because each layer of wash dried quickly so that I wasn't twiddling my thumbs for too long. White over grey primer, blue wash (I might drop the blue, it doesnt really show through), white drybrush, purple wash, white drybrush, black wash, white drybrush, purple wash on the front of the wings, white dots on head and wings, purple wash, white dots again, purple wash again, white dots.

The swirls were pretty easy, although I think I might start with a darker purple on the actual models. The stars on the base and post were simple as well, just a thin white X, dot of black or purple wash in the middle, and a small white dot after it dried.

Let me know what you think!

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wow, looks great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, Tim!

Having nothing better to do on a Saturday night, I've decided that I'm going to attempt to get the Furies going, and I'll sort of live-blog it. Last night, also having nothing better to do, I cleaned, assembled, and based the little birdies.

I wanted a look and feel to the bases that was going to be as smooth as possible. I was going to need to fill in the small gaps around the bases of the models. I opted for a mixture 1 part baking soda, 1 part white glue, and 1/2 part water, which worked out quite nicely, curing overnight. It took paint pretty well, although I had to be a little more generous with painting on the primer (I always paint on primer. I've just NEVER had a good experience with spray primer). I'm in the middle of finishing the priming, I'll have a picture of that up in a bit. I started priming around 430pm EST.

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Very nice!

I find with spraying I use one or two coats and then tidy up with paint the bits that are missed. Priming isn't enough by itself but it does save some time.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mmm...I wish I had the right touch for spray priming, but I also don't mind taking the time to do it my hand and make sure I get every nook and cranny :)

Priming is done (18:10 EST), both colors. Black on the bases and posts, and white on the birds themselves. Blue wash, next, followed by a white drybrush.

(Sorry, my painting desk is a little cluttered! The beer is Sneak Attack by 21st Amendment Brewery out of California, by the way. An out of season saison, brewed with cardamon...very delicious)

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I laid down the first wash (blue) and after a dinner/shower break I did a heavy white drybrush (19:40 EST). I'm waiting for that (and my hair) to dry while I'm posting this, and then it'll be a purple wash and a lighter drybrushing of white.

At this rate, I'm anticipating being finished with all of the base washes tonight, and maybe start on the stars on the wings.

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Got the purple wash, and next drybrush, finished. Waiting for the drybrush to dry a little bit more before the black wash, and then I'll see if I feel like doing the first few stars tonight. I'll probably re-do the black on the bases and posts tonight, hitting it with chaos black instead of just primer. I might start to do the swirls, as well, since those will be fast-ish.

It's darker than the pictures show. There won't be a drybrush after the black wash.

Night Lords Sub-AC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:23 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice progress.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

:) thanks, I feel like I'm getting a lot done on these.

Got the black wash done, and then hit the bases with the old chaos black. And finally got my flash turned off!

You can finally see they're fairly dark. I'm going to do just 2 or 3 swirls per bird, and I'm going to get those started in a bit, once I stretch my back out.

Night Lords Sub-AC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next