Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next

I Have No Point: A random hobby log

Post subject: Re: I Have No Point: A random hobby log
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking Beasty Boyz !!!! :D

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As other have said Jimmy, basing on the beasty boys is very cool, and the minatures are well painted too, are those microworld ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep they are ! ;D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Brilliant colors for the basing on the dreadnaught. Very nice contrast.

Tau AC: viewforum.php?

Net EA Chair

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Like some type of atavistic predator drawn to blood in water, so were the raiding fleets of the Arch Enemy drawn towards the Imperial advance. Ancient vessels were coaxed from their slumber as warlords gathered their forces for the coming storm such as this venerable Ajax heavy cruiser, Reclaimer of Truth. Believed to have been laid down in the orbital yards of Jupiter in M31 upon request of the Word Bearers Legion, it was infamously present at such pivotal events as Battle of Calth, the Scouring of Hyjarx, and even present during the 7th Black Crusade. The Ajax class was a fleet command and control ship, trading raw anti-ship firepower for advanced sensors and tactical abilities coupled with an oversized drive core. Once prized in the Imperial Fleet Admiralty, sadly no examples of the class have been built in over 4 millennia as knowledge of how to produce the rare technology of the class has faded from memory.

Attachment:
IMG_20170705_170508095_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170705_170508095_HDR.jpg [ 259.97 KiB | Viewed 4199 times ]

painter's notes:
More dusty old BFG sees daylight! This is an old plastic cruiser with some extra bits and bobs and old chaos symbols added on for some extra flavor. This is done as part of the Legionary contingent on my chaos collection playing as a Carnage class fleet support ship when played without smotherman formula. Nebula was VMA French blue applied to block out the areas. Then watery Light Sea Blue was dabbed on. Using undiluted game effects Verdigris, I applied small amounts to the blues on the edge of the blobs and then leveraging water cohesion, would tip the base and place under a heat lamp to rapidly dry allowing the capillary action to pull the pigments to the edge in fancy ways.
:spin
I got bored then and threw on some VMA Medium Yellow, which promptly turned bright green, because ... chaos?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:57 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice (both model and fluf) :)!

My wargame blog: http://6mmwargames.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:11 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

your use and collection of technical paints intimidates me

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Of the 4 Astartes Chapters to present themselves at Warzone Palavan, the Raptors 'legion' was by far the force most likely to work directly with contingents of the larger Imperial Crusade armies. Scions of Corax, they were unsurpassed in their abilities for deep scouting and rapid ranging far beyond even the the rest of the marine forces present. Typical of their battle doctrines, numerous Scouting element would independently disperse into difficult terrain regions seeking for for signs of the enemy. A favorite vehicle of these forces was the specialized variant of the Land Speeder, the Storm. Forgoing heavier armaments, it allowed the vehicle to carry a full 5 man squad. In addition, the presence of baffled engines and a sophisticated spy array, allowing for stealthy insertions behind enemy lines such as shown in this recon flight deep into the almost impassible Matarak wastelands to track the traitor forces without their knowledge.
Attachment:
Raptors LS Storms.png
Raptors LS Storms.png [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 4003 times ]

painters notes:
Some cute little scout speeders to add to the collection. While they don't actually have a list to work in as is, they will count-as Land Speeders just fine. Similar to my guard, I didn't want just a uniform force in the collection and because I intend a large scout contingent, I decided to go with the Raptors who are known for their stealth and scouting tactics. As simple army green men flying in army green vehicles would be a bit boring visually, I decided to move away from strict fluff to paint the scouts in AP Uniform grey base on their uniforms and then highlights of Astornomicon grey. The occasional place where you can make out a boot then got the GW Snakebite Leather tratment. The chassis was base coated in VMA Intermediate Blue. Both the shoulder pads and the upper part of the vehicle panels were then painted in VCG Caiman Green. A layer of GW Gretchin green was then blended in. Finally a sharp edge highlight of GW Camo Green was added to make it pop. The underside was actually left in the grey base and due to the wearing action from my fingers, had actually a really nice bit of wear and tear that I left as is. While you can't see it typically, up close straight on, you can see the used look. Note shown, but the tri-thrusters were picked out in some GW scab red=> sunshine yellow blends for the engine. Again to help break things up a bit, I moved away even more from the fluff and gave a few of them a dingy white helmet which I plan to echo on some of the recon squads on the ground to tie the force together visually. The basing was area in sculpted Vallejo Snady Paste and then some bits of GW Agrellan Earth to give the drying waterway/mud look.

edit: the plinths were made from Everbilt #18 5/8" wire nails. I drilled a 1mm hole through the base, pushed them through from the bottom as a tight fit, clipped the head off flush, and then mounted as various heights and rolls. very cheap (1.50USD) and quick to do.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:42 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

love em, atmospheric and a perfect match for raptors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Awesome JZ!
I love the blending you have achieved on your armour panels.
I also note you're representing diversity in your modelling! Great job!
Cheers
Jim

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey thanks guys! (and look it's the other Jim! ;D Long time no see, mate!)
Diverse chapters and multi-ethnic marines as well ;)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Very cool!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Masters of siege-craft, the Iron Warriors were infamous fortress breakers and world burners. Unlike many of their fellow traitors, the legionaries of the Iron IV fought an organized retreat towards the eye of terror being the bulwark upon which numerous forces dashed themselves during the Great Scouring. Perhaps this is what allowed the technical acumen and relics of an age of gods long since past to survive in the gaol world of Medrengard?
Attachment:
IW Typhon.jpg
IW Typhon.jpg [ 459.83 KiB | Viewed 3972 times ]

Such it was that the forces of the archenemy were able to draw upon weapons of war long since lost to legend, such as the Typhon Siege tank. Rumored to be the design of the cursed Perturabo himself, the awesome destructive power of the Dreadhammer Cannon was brought to bear against the great southern fortress bases in Koal peninsula. Protected on 3 sides by the ocean and the north by the Matarak wastelands, it was widely believed impenetrable to ground attack by the forces of the 77th Elysian drop army. Heavy lifted into striking range, the three Typhons known present on Palavan were able to crack open the fortress with only 3 salvos, quickly earning them the name 'Decimators' by the Imperial forces.
Attachment:
IW Typhon 2.jpg
IW Typhon 2.jpg [ 475.68 KiB | Viewed 3972 times ]

Painters notes:

As the IW collection has always been intended to be a multi-list force, I felt that I needed some of the heavier chaos war engines in play for them to be fielded under the BL list. Done in my usual IW recipe, I did spend more time continuing to experiment with the GW Agrellan Earth and GW Agrellan Badlands technical paint. So far my findings are to mark out the "low areas" on the base where you want the cracked earth. Build up the dry earth using your favorite basing material (Vallejo sandy paste here). Once dry glob on the Agrellan Earth, pulling it from the 'dry land' towards the middle, otherwise you'll get a weird look with the mud higher than the land. Too much paint and you run the risk of the cracked earth flaking off; Too little and the cracked earth is too small. Once it is dry I took a watered down VGC Heavy Brown and VGC Desert Yellow wash into those cracks which exposed my underlying dark grey plastic base. This will give them an earthen tone but make the mud appear mottled and the cracks deeper than they are. As I wanted to give these tanks a real sense of weight and immensity, I used GW Agrellan Badlands to sculpt the torns up earth from the tracks. It has a pleasing but different texture than the Sandy Paste which adds to the verisimilitude I feel. To finish it off I then leveraged AP Strong tone lacquer to build a protective layer over the base paints an and will really protect your sculpted bases from wear and tear.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wowza! Great stuff. Agrellan is rad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those muddy bases are amazing, and the tanks themselves are nothing to sniff at. Well done!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 32  Next