Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

MicroWorld Games 6mm Fantasy Log

Post subject: Re: MicroWorld Games 6mm Fantasy Log
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glamor shot of the Wood elf Hero:

Sorceror:

Forest Giant marching to war with the spearmen:

Everyone getting eaten by my roommate's Forest dragon:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These are amazing!

Having just restarted playing Warmaster (10mm), I kind of regret not starting it at 6mm and having such models to use and in such numbers.

This is a great thread.

Previous Death Guard
Previous Imperial Fists
Previous Chaos Squats

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is there a particular game system you use with your mini's steve? Or is warmaster what you use?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use a variety of systems, but I haven't actually tried warmaster yet, only because it can handle more figs than I have painted at the moment. Mighty Armies is a nice little generic game that is quick to play. Even though there is technically a point system for creating units, there aren't a ton of special rules for flavor, so it may not appeal to everyone. Fantasy Rules! (3 or TCE) by Chipco is another good option. There are set unit types, like spearmen, beastmen, things like that. You can modify the units slightly though to give some more flavor.

The fantasy version of Basic Impetus also seems pretty good, but I haven't tried it out yet. Pride of Lions is another option, but it requires quite a ton of miniatures to get a good sized game, given that the basic unit is 3 40x40mm squares. I suppose you could shrink the base size down, but I generally base everything on 40x20, so it wouldn't work in my case.

One thing I have been waiting for for forever is Ganesha Games Song of armies and Hordes rules.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

See this thread for a similar discussion: http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=20303

Pride of Lions is one of my top prospects still, for when I eventually get into 6mm fantasy :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It certainly has been a while since I updated this. I have over 200 gnolls finished, as well as 6 bases of Owlbears, I just haven't had time to put the final touches on their basing. I am 200 dwarves deep as well.

All of that got shelved so I could begin painting some Dread Elves for my store. I am about half done, below are my attempts. I'm not sure if they are preferable to bare metal pics...

Dread Thralls front:

Dread Thralls back:

Shadowblades front:

Shadowblades back:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It is hard to show off all the great detail on these.

Hag warriors front:

Hag warriors back:

Xbowmen front:

Xbowmen back:

Warriors front:

Warriors back:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:26 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

This is very inspiring work. Have I understood correctly - the OP is the manufacturer/sculptor?
I am struggling to hold off from purchasing some of the beauties....

If I may, I suggest you look at Mantic's Kings of War rules as they are
A. free - always good news in my book.
B. can be used with any miniature range/size. They play very fast, are awesomely entertaining, and some even play with a chess clock to bring an even deeper experience to the game (it's an optional rule, though).
My plan is to modify inches to cm and play on a 3x3' table.
This is what I plan on doing, inspired by the recent release of the book and of course this thread, and have spent the last two days on and off figuring out what the sweet spot might be to get the most bang for my buck.
I think to start off with, a pair of the Dwarf Army bundles might be the way to go, clocking in at $80 inc postage.

In Kings of war, which uses a fixed unit construction of a single base representing a troop, two representing a regiment (40x40mm) and four in a rectangle representing a horde, the two army bundles would yield:

1 Dwarf King with retinue (one each of the fellows from the command pack on a 25mm round base) 130pt
2 Standard Bearers (from the command pack, maybe with a hero on each 20mm round base) 90pt
1 Berserker Lord (a single based berserker on 15mm round base. I'm sure that with the poses in the pack I could get away with 9 on a base instead of 10!) 110pt
4 Ironclad regiments (120 warriors) 440pt
1 Shieldbreaker regiment (30 ironclads) 110pt
2 Ranger regiments (60 musketeers) 260pt
6 Ironwatch troops (10 musketters to a base representing screening/skirmishing units) 600pt
2 Berserker half-regiments (30 berserkers) 230pt
2 Brock Rider regiments (20 bear cavalry) 460pt
2 Ironbelcher cannons (two cannons with crew on a 40x20mm base, or at a pinch a single cannon with crew on 20mm square base) 170pt
2 Ironblecher Organ guns (as above, but using the gatling guns instead) 160pt

Now for $80 that's a staggering 2760pt. Amazing value, I think. And even if I cut down the Ironwatch, or do away with the altogether, or whatever may or may not take my fancy, this is probably one of the best value for money solutions I can think of. A clean 2000pt army would have a myriad of options for the price!

Right, so enough of hijacking this otherwise excellent thread, I'm off to make my first order!
Look forward to more posts, OP!
:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:48 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

punkskum wrote:
In Kings of war, which uses a fixed unit construction of a single base representing a troop, two representing a regiment (40x40mm) and four in a rectangle representing a horde

Interesting idea, might have to give that a go :) Although i think i'd need to use 3 bases for regiments and 6 for hordes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Interesting idea, might have to give that a go :) Although i think i'd need to use 3 bases for regiments and 6 for hordes.

I bit the bullet today and bought two the two dwarf bundles. I'm actually considering picking up the orcs or beastmen, too, but with international shipping at only $5 I don't know if I can be bothered tying up my cash in yet ANOTHER pile of lead, much as it'd break the monotony of painting dwarves alone.
As far as the 3 bases for regiments goes, I don't think it'd work but it'd be interesting to see how it works, for sure.
The way the game works (not knowing whether you've played it or not!) is basically to double the size of the footprint as unit size increases.
So if you made a troop a 40mm square (2 bases), a regiment 80x60 (6 bases) and a horde 160x60 (12 bases) that would work a charm. A lot of painting to get through, though, and 6mm doesn't really offer much variety, a thing that works both for and against it I think.
Something to build towards, anyway, over the course of a year, say, it wouldn't be hard at all.
The total cost today was $83 shipped (bought an extra command pack) so if I can stay on track and get them done I think $150 for a 6mm army would be way reasonable.
In total, in this example, this cost of less than $50/week would bring home a staggering 600 infantry, 80 cavalry and a full complement of 24 artillery pieces.
That's pretty a-ok in my budget, every couple of months as I have time to save up.

And produce an awe inspiring sight, to be sure!
A friend has 3000 napoleonic figures in his collection (Baccus 6mm) and I've seen them deployed at his house when we've had two-day wargames.
6mm is truly the true overzealous wargamer's scale.....I had a look at Exodus Wars' zombies today (because I also considered buying two MWG undead packs, of course ) and was VERY tempted to buy four packs to make two hordes, but GBP15 for the figures and GBP10 for shipping put me off - for now...
That said, along this rationale 16x4cm horde would look, well...it'd look like a horde to me!

If you do try it with your 3/6 combination will you post some afterthoughts please?
Or even pictures of a game in progress, it'd be great to see.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

punkskum wrote:
I bit the bullet today and bought two the two dwarf bundles.

I recon the dwarfs are the best in the range, very fine sculpts.

Thanks for the details on the basing. I haven't played kings of war, but based my MWG 6mm on multiples of 3 bases to be compatible with warmaster (which i also have yet to play :P ). So if KoW would work out using 3 and 6 horde/regiment that would work with both rulesets.

Might try the KoW thing in a couple of weeks if i get some dread elves assembled.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Finally finished basing the Owlbears and the gnolls. I also managed to finish the first troop type for the dwarves, standard dwarf warriors, just shy of 300 of them!

Gnoll closeup:

Gnoll Horde 1:

Gnoll horde a bit closer:

Owlbear horde:

Owlbears a little closer:

Owlbear giving me the stink eye:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Now for the dwarves!

Dwarf Warrior closeup, keep in mind these guys are just hitting 5mm tall:

Backside so you can see the nice chainmail work:

A reason why my eyes are getting bad:

Dwarf Brigade a bit closer:

Some command group closeups:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I am knee deep in Dwarf Ironclad infantry at the moment. Not sure I really like the way they are coming out. I did finish up these Hawk Riders though, I realized after I took the pictures I did not paint the hawk eyes, so I'll have to go back and do that.

The Group:

A bit closer:

Unflattering closeups:

I am almost totally finished with my Woodland army. Just have the pixies, wild elves, and treekin left to paint.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:12 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Hawks look great. Will be interested to see the ironclads, I can imagine it might be difficult to get enough colour definition/variation in given that they are mor or less little spheres of metal plate armour :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next