Login |  Register |  FAQ

Resin Casting.

Post subject: Resin Casting.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, I've been working on some scratch built ork Wartrukks, Buggies and Gunwagons to make my orks look more orky, more original etc and wish to resin cast them.

In the past I have used a polyester figure casting resin and made a little much needed money too, via casting scenery for warhammer 40k. However it does have issues with taking paint, but nothing a primer can't sort out and no glue under the sun will stick to it. But this was ok for larger, 40k casts that can be done in one go, so to speak.

However I'm fast descovering that resin casting in 6mm is a whole new ball game with lots of fiddly bits and peaces traping air very easily with this fairly thick and sticky resin.

This wouldn't be such a problem if there was a glue that could stick to peaces of polyester plastic together. So I'd like to here your recomendations on what plastic resins you use and what results they give?

Might it also be an idea to use plaster of paris?

Thanks.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GA-101,

Wait until you see a guy named Signius in the forums and then PM him. He has a lot of experience with resin casting.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 6:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I use Dental acrylics and a vacum system to cast in 6mm. ?I get my supplies from a dental lab in town and created my own vacume system. ?Dental acrylics are pourable and incredibly hard when set. ?I like them better the the poly resins I've used in the past. ?Look into them.
If you are interested in plasters, don't use the hobby types you can get in store. They are verys soft and shrink alot. Here again I recommend using dental products.  There a several brands (Diamond base, Hard stone) hut they are all basically the same.  Trust me this stuff is hard.  I recenently dropped a piece I had just cast on the concrete floor of my garage and failed to chip it.  It's great stuff for terrain.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 12:03 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the advice,

Hopefuly I will be able to post a few pictures of the resin casts in the next few days.