Login |  Register |  FAQ

Archive Squats

Post subject: Archive Squats
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Generally speaking, the Epic-40k miniatures are not availible in the online stores. I think the GW-US store lists them, but not as bitz. They are in the GW-US mailorder catalogue, but there is a limited selection of the miniature lines before Epic-40k (third edition). However, the selection of older models is very good.  

The good thing is that GW-US is that they are out to make money so they continue to sell anything they have molds for even in some cases, selling limited edition figures despite the GW-UK office's protests. GW-UK has all kinds of marketing schemes and a much more corporate makeup. Someone like Jervis at GW-UK (or associated with them) can make the decision to not sell Epic miniatures until his new game is availible.

The bad thing about GW-US is that they're is little consistency among the trolls (phone operators). It's REALLY easy to get conflicting information from two different operators (sometimes from just one!). I have been told, for instance, that the molds for many Epic products will be destroyed and not remolded when they wear out. Another troll told me that they would NEVER be destroyed. Who knows what is really going on?

I have no idea whether or not GW-UK will stop selling bitz, but I have heard that rumor multiple times from unconnected sources.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 7:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

:( .....That would be awful if it did happen, but really I can't see it because there are a lot of keen modelers and converters out there, so its hard to imagine GW UK upsetting so many people- look at how many people enter Golden Demon with converted models every year- can you see them buying a blister pack for each component they need- No, obviously, but who knows what is going on in the minds of the GW Mail Order and Marketing deparments:( .. all we can do is hope :;):

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 8:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Games Workshop = Crazy :p  :-:  :-:

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 10:59 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Maksim is very right about the inconsistency of GWUS mail order trolls, I have experienced this first hand in several occasions. Its the difference between a complete order or a botched one, depending on the troll you get. I have gone so far as asking for specific ones, but they seem to "turn around" very aften so its hard to get someone reliable all the time.

Signius, use my Eldar force list from my "huge armies" article It lists around 43,000 points, not including titans which I have 10 phantoms, 3 warlock titans and 10 revenants.

Thats not counting my last big purchase which was mostly eldar, I'm easilt over 50,000 and have around 14 warlocks now.

That'll teach your friend... }:)

Maksim, you got a pretty big eldar army too, you should make a list out of it and post it, at least I'd be interested.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 1:28 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Quote (stormseer @ 26 2003 Mar.,18:24)
:o I think that that rumour is incredibly unlikely..
I can imagine a lot of very unhappy people if that ever happened.... (including me)!!

It has been an issue in the Gothic community that you cant actually buy Gothic bits from Mail Order in the UK. This is true and has been so for a long while. I am afraid that I would not be surprised if this was the way for all GW stuff.  :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I once asked about BFG bits in my local store, and they said phone mail order and they will sort you out.

Maybe stopping bits is why their are no more Citadel catalouges?

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 5:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, wait just had a thought, why does White Dwarf have bits pages when  Mail Order are stopping them? ???

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 6:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

>>Ah, wait just had a thought, why does White Dwarf have bits pages when ?Mail Order are stopping them? ?

Indeed Chris, I was just about to post this fact...

But no, you can't get BFG bitz from mail order, in fact, when I needed a missing piece sending with my order (I didn't get one of the rear fins in my Retribution box set), I did get it, but my order was delayed by about 2 weeks waiting for them to cast it... :angry:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (stormseer @ 27 2003 Mar.,17:53)
you can't get BFG bitz from mail order

But you can on the US online store. Strange. Looks like I'll have to import some then.

Like I said GW = Crazy  :-:

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really?! Hmm.. I have to say I find the bizarre discrepancies between what GW US and UK do incredibaly irritating- and it usually seems to be the US that get the better deal on things- bar FW etc I guess...... :L

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 6:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I order Epic over the phone from G/W US :unclesam: with the help of the 2002 listings and Forge World Epic on line, save for the 28+ days delivery time from the UK to the US, if it was any easier, an Ork could do it :D  !!!   It's great to be a Yank !!! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 4:54 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I have serious doubts about stopping bitz orders _and_ destroying old molds.  Why so?

One of the guys that frequents the local game shop was, for a couple years, on GW US's top 100 mail order customer list (apparently, he is as nuts as some of you, but on a 40K scale).  A very large portion of his orders were bitz - he has at least 20 customized chimera variants, and made most of them using only the lower hull and track sprues (with other bitz, obviously).  He may not be a representative sample, but I will bet most of their "high rollers" are doing similar things.

They also sent him letters and a survey asking how they could improve.  His main suggestion was to have access to the older figs.  Apparently, many of the other people on the list said similar things because several months after he sent his response he began to see promotions for archive figs, like on the website "special features" section.

Again, this is just one guy, but given the premium they get on archive models and bitz, I rather believe they will continue to make enough money to support it.  Really, as long as they break even monetarily, they can consider the added good will a definite benefit.

Just my not-an-industry-insider opinion...