Login |  Register |  FAQ

What is your favorate conversion

Post subject: What is your favorate conversion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 4:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'll give it a try.  By negatives, I assume you mean the pictures, and not the little brown strips, where everythings black and white.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:00 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

No, actually the strips. As far as I know (and I have a digital for too loong now!), the strips are not black and white, but are muted. I have heard that you can get a great result by scanning those at the highest pixel rate and adjusting the colours. Never tried it, though.  ???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Okay I'll give it a try.
It wont be for a Wee while yet though.  I have to pinch my brothers scanner first, take it home, take some pics, get them developed etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 6:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

of course easier than scanning is to use a normal camera (or disposable - though go for 35mm rather than APS) as Cyber says and when getting the pics developed ask for them to be scanned into cd-rom (costs a few dollars/quid).

I'm not if scanning the negatives is such a good idea, as usually you need some form of back lighting for this to be effective, or to use a dedicated neg scanner. Of course once you have scanned in the image you need to "invert" the image to get it back to "normal" and for that you need a good graphics manipulation program.

Another thing to consider is that most scanners will scan in a low resolution - for most people's purposes, scanning in the photographs is easier.

You can get "reasonable" results by scanning the actual models on the scanner.

More details on my Photography Techniques Pages

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I am going to have to start using my reg camera and having the film developed. My sony digital is a peice of junk.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:59 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

No pics because I remain a luddite, but at least you can pick through them for ideas.  Most of my conversions are fairly simple to do.

Chaos:

My disc rider/raptor force is almost complete.  I used putty to make the discs and formed them around the existing circular bases on the infantry.

Tzeentch titan:  Using a beetleback titan, I cut the front and tail off a firelord to use for a head and tail.  I took the tower from a Tower of skulls, cut a slot out of the carapace, and fit the tower in with putty for a smooth transition - a nice combination fire control tower and (with all the little turrets from the Firelord pieces) carapace laser combo.

Ork:

BattleFortresses:  I made a set of Blood Axe battlefortresses using landraiders as a base.  I added pieces of superstructure from the MegaGargant, and added various turrets.  I also ripped off some whirlwind rocket pods, and, of course, a handful of grots hanging on the outside.

Eldar:

Warlock Vyper:  A very simple conversion, but I like it.  I cut the gunner and part of the seat off the old, plastic vyper, and replaced it with a small, round-cornered platform.   Then I just mounted a warlock to the platform.

I figure I'm still in the junior leagues compared to a lot fo you guys, but if you want details about techniques, I'll be happy to share.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:09 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, the more info, the better. Don't feel bad. I just started converting myself. I have killed so many uits that I am becomming the SM's worst enemy.  :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Favourite conversion? Hmmm..... I cant think - I've obviously done too many! ?:D Truth is I hve lots of favourites for different reasons but I'll narrow it down a bit.....

My favourite piece I've ever done is easy. It was my epic Abbadon the Despoiler for Golden Demon 2002. Unfortunately the *insert naughty word ?:blush:* idiot filling the cabinets proceeded to "NOT SEE IT" and destroy it with one fell swoop of a 40K piece shortly after it went in the judging cabinet.

Stupidly, it was one of few pieces I hadnt taken any pictures of because a) I wanted it to go to GD befoe it had been seen anywhere else and b) I only actually finished it the night before ?:cool:

But that one is gone, so from my current collection its got to be my command Mars pattern Baneblade from Forgeworld with the dying crewman. I wont post pics as you'll probably have seen it before on epic40k.com but even though its probably not my best sculpted and certainly isnt my best painting, its almost definitely my favourite ?:blues:

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:48 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Tuff>> the *insert naughty word  * idiot filling the cabinets proceeded to "NOT SEE IT" and destroy it with one fell swoop of a 40K piece...

Oh, man.  That hurts me just to think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mine has to be the chaos Imperator titan 'Abominatus' that I did, which was taken from Adrian Wood who did an article on it and his whole titan group in one of the WDs and in one of the journal issues I think.  Its in the galleries section on epic40k.com so I dont need post a pic hopefully :D

That took me a 2-3 months on and off to get it as far as it is but its still missing a base because I cant think of something suitable for it.  As it happens thats the first conversion I have ever done, and it takes ages. So conversions for me will be dealt with later for me, as I have enough to paint up.

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 9:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to hear about your peice Tuff. You see folks. Epic players get no respect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

as the moderator for this part of the board, can I recommend that people do in fact post the pictures, or post the relevant link to the page with the pictures on

thanks

:cool:

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:29 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, that was my intention. No one seems to have a camera.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I would like to see the models, even if they have been posted else where.  I dont visit any other epic or BFG sites, so wont have seen a lot of it.  I do occasionally pop over to other sites, but its usually to see something specific.

Once I have a few more Ork epic stuff, I'll start some conversions on Vehicles.  I have got some great ideas and inspiration from Jimbos/Felix's site.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (TuffSkull @ 13 2003 Mar.,10:53)
But that one is gone, so from my current collection its got to be my command Mars pattern Baneblade from Forgeworld with the dying crewman. I wont post pics as you'll probably have seen it before on epic40k.com but even though its probably not my best sculpted and certainly isnt my best painting, its almost definitely my favourite ?:blues:

OK boss, Here's the pics ?:D

And you can see a lot more of my conversion work by going To my Showcase on Epic40k.com

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.