Login |  Register |  FAQ

Gathering Swarm

Post subject: Gathering Swarm
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello all,

well, I've spent the last few days trawling over all the tyranid modelling threads here and have been so inspired to start up a force! I had two boxs of the E40k Tyranid swarm so had the start of some infantry but wanted to drastically expand. For the inf, i'm looking to ebay and possibly DRM 'aliens'. For the larger bugs, Warmaster Nice, Evil and Chaos, Vermis and Widgren have all inspired and I've decided to tackle the toughest first - a Dactylis.

As others have done, I will be using gaunts/warriors for all the other beasts, but the dactylis I wanted to look a bit different. I have lots of the old style stealers so tried them. Not entirely convinced with the result, quite happy with the size tho, as I was trying to represent its lower armour value etc. I chose the fleshborers, as I'll be using these individually as Biovores (as Widgren did) and wanted a link between the two visually. I did consider a devourer (as Warmaster Nice) but it didn't seem to say 'artillary' to me...

My main probs with it are that its a bit to recognisable as a stealer, so I'm tempted to drill some holes into the head and add green stuff blobs to give it 'spider-like' eyes (last pic) - a sort of sensor array for this artillary! The other thing I'm tempted to do is add a 40mm base showing it embedding the front claws readying for firing, just to play them down a bit really! Can't think of a flat 40mm base though...

Any suggestions and critiscms welcome of course, and more pics to follow as I build!

Cheers,
G

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:43 pm 
That's surprisingly cool. And multiple spider eyes are always a winner.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looking back at the pics, it looks a little too much like its leaping perhaps? Not sure. I was gonna add a 'spore-sac' from the 40k barbed strangler arms underneath but I think it might add to much bulk and doesn't fit too well...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers for the reply Otterman! :) Surprisingly...!? :tongue:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:09 pm 
Quote: (Gorlak @ 05 Aug. 2008, 10:52 )

Cheers for the reply Otterman! :) Surprisingly...!? :tongue:

Well, I'm not usually excited by permutations of Tyranid parts, but your particular combination seemed especially neat to me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Otterman: Thank you again! Was meant as a joke, I promise!    :blush:

The 'spider-eyes' and a bit of gs work is done now, pics in the morning when the light improves...!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Very nice conversions. All you need to do really is clip the points off the claws so even without a base, it looks like its dug into the ground.

Also some head armour or blades to the side of the face will vary it so it doesnt look too much like a stealer head.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Looks good :) I agree with Lex: A few armor plates from Green Stuff will help disguise the 'stealer head. Can't wait to see more :)

Nobody expects the Inquisition!!!
http://theepiclounge.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers all, will add more photos today.

Spent all of yesterday battling on ebay for tyranids - got quite a few but need more infantry! The Warriors on ebay yesterday sky rocketed in price!

Anywho, I have started work on the Exocrines, and will now proceed with my Malefactor cons - I wanted to use the original Malefactor arms as Warmaster Nice did, but having been priced out on ebay and none on the horizon, I will have to custom build some using spinefist arms.

I have metal washer bases now too and milliput - gonna go for the all round base look I think!

Having to decide now whether or not to splash out on a Tyranid Battleforce box for titans and the ilk...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sorry to be so slow with an update all, been busy on ebay, gathering washers for bases and paint stripping some newly acquired nid infantry.

I have the beginning of my exocrines, the 'spider-eye's' on the dactylis/stealer and I'm hoping to try out some trygons later. I want to try and get some malefactor frag spine arms if poss before attempting those and I really need some 40k stealer scything talons befor attempting Haruspex's. I'm not sure how to make the future Haruspex conversions heads diffenet to the other gaunt based vehicles... I know warmaster nice used lictor heads but I can't easily get those now there is no bits service...! :angry:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi all, sorry I've been lame and not kept to my promised updates!

I have a brief update and request for opinions on my Harriden...

Now this is, as you can see is mostly WIP, thw white-tac isn't staying! But the question is do I go for my scratch built Harridan head or the original (that is buried unharmed beneath the white stuff). If I was to go for the scrath built head, I'd build up some 'ribs'and additional carapace plates to blend the head to torso. My main issue however is the size - I wanted a bigger creature to better represent the DC4 beast, but does it now look too big for the wings it has? I haven't got any larger wings, so if it does look out of scale, I'm gonna have to go for the orginal head.

(LARGER PICS HERE - HARRIDAN GALLERY

Any help/opinions welcome - I'm really fancing getting this one finished and painted up!

Cheers,
G

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I likes them!  Nice conversions

Epic- A version of the game with even smaller models that is often dominated by titans which are vehicles the size of a large building and have the ability to pwn...everything. There is also infantry, whose only function in Epic is to provide valuable traction to Titans walking across snowy paths.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The head is indeed a bit out of proportion (for a gaint flying alien superbug :upside:  ) so I'd stick to the orignal head
also I checked my bitz box and I can't do my step-by-step build a heirodule as I have no big claws or the warriors legs :oo:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:06 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice looking models mate. It is always been nice to wacth especially people building their nids, so many excellent ideas!! :)

Dark Eldar Dracon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers for the comments guys!

Olly - I think I agree that its to large. I was leaning the other way, but looking at it this morning, I agree with your points. I think I'll save it for a Vituperator later. Although I have no ideas on that one yet!

Cleaning up my infantry at the mo and test fitting some titan ideas...