Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next

I Have No Point: A random hobby log

Post subject: Re: I Have No Point: A random hobby log
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 11th motor rifles had the dubious distinction to be the first Imperial units to encounter traitor Astartes during the campaign. So far the forces of the arch-enemy seen had been mutants, cultists, and former guard units formed into ramshackle collections and directed towards Imperial lines. The sudden appearance of the foul traitors eventually identified as members of the [REDACTED BY INQUISITORIAL ORDER =][= - Only in death does duty end] marked a change in character of the war to come. Once reports reached the Army Group Imperial Tacticum, the general command we're quickly forced to reassess the nature of the enemy presented to them. It was one thing to face the Lost and the Damned, another entirely to face marines without proper numerical strength.

Attachment:
Chimera 1.jpg
Chimera 1.jpg [ 418.29 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]

After striking through the marshlands, the 11th proceeded to advance the A-G squads forward into the industrial sectors. The infantry were able to quickly clear the area and prepare for the expected counter attack the diversionary raid was intended to stir. The vid-capture above shows the first elements of the 11th company disembarking their Chimera transports upon reaching their objectives.

Attachment:
Chimera 2.jpg
Chimera 2.jpg [ 248.28 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]

Attachment:
Chimera 3.jpg
Chimera 3.jpg [ 288.88 KiB | Viewed 2522 times ]

As with the armoured companies, the Azov host mechanized infantry formations were placed under direct operational command of T'tenba forces. Despite being a hastily raised and trained regiment, the Azov forces proved themselves in the crucible of battle earning the respect of 964th Merkeva in particular. Above pictogram details the Armageddon pattern Chimera typifying the Azov infantry formations. Variant weaponry was typically fielded by Company command tanks only, illustrated by the Anti-tank missile and Plasma gun loadout.

painting notes:
Tried something new on the Chimeras and switched entirely over to using oil and enamel washes for the tanks. No drybrushing/edging you'd find usually. I used a dark charcoal and burnt umber mix, mixed very thin in white spirit, and laid down in multiple applications, almost like a glaze. Sounds complicated but it's really not. I'm finding the ability to mix, play with, clean, etc oils to be very liberating unlike acrylics. If I don't like the way it looks, just rinse your brush and wash it off with the thinner and you can start fresh. I find it gives a very smooth color gradient and IMO gives better results on "busy" models like these 3d edition GW Chimeras with all their stowage and gear. Weathering is simply application of graveyard earth spackling and dry brushing once the entire miniature is washed, decals applied, and a final sealant of Dullcoat to protect the model applied.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm going to lose lots of time going over these posts again and again. This work is incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent plog! Epic minis do look good on fow bases. Sorry if you have said this already but what are you using to base your terrain on?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work jimmy these look splendid.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Uh huh :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

adamwest wrote:
Excellent plog! Epic minis do look good on fow bases. Sorry if you have said this already but what are you using to base your terrain on?

I've moved from inverted floor tile (seen in the earlier terrain) now to using 2mm plasticard sheets, scored and cut to desired shape. I find the extra strength better to work with in the long run and providing some longevity to the items (hopefully).

moredakka wrote:
Nice work jimmy these look splendid.

Means tons coming from the great Moredakka! :) One of these days I'll catch up to both quantity and quality you've shown here.

Man of kent wrote:

^^ Hey, look! It's MoK!! ^^

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More ruins for the battle boards because...well GrimDark TM ;D
Attachment:
WP_20140404_003.jpg
WP_20140404_003.jpg [ 259.3 KiB | Viewed 2974 times ]

Attachment:
WP_20140404_004.jpg
WP_20140404_004.jpg [ 328.93 KiB | Viewed 2974 times ]

Painting note:
Tried a wild crazy idea with this one that panned out. I did a series of grimey brown black oil washes all other and slapped around and before it was finished drying, sprayed Dullcoat all over. It will cause the formation of tiny little cracks in the surface as it dries. Instant texture!! (always hated those flat surfaces on the ruins but couldn't be arsed to do much about it). Oh and of course, no grey concrete building this time :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice one! Looks very practical too, from a gaming point of view. I have noticed a trend towards beige in miniscule grimdark architecture. Looks good!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
I have noticed a trend towards beige in miniscule grimdark architecture. Looks good!

But but but ... mine has white corners!!! ;)

Yeah I've noticed the backlash against the whole "In the Grim Future of the 41st Millennium, There is only Grey!" is strong :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh lovely buildings sir i like!

Keep up the good work.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
Man of kent wrote:

^^ Hey, look! It's MoK!! ^^

That's me :-)! I've been enjoying what seems to be a small plethora of nicely weathered 'natural' looking guard armies turning up over the past year or so; I like to think mine might have started the whole shebang off but who knows!

Glad to have your's in the gang!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great army, and good luck with the city board your of to a good start with the ruined buildings models so far the look stunning ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

At the time of the Crusade, the 17th Support company was solely equipped with Leman Russ Demolishers. Rare to deploy as a whole unit, normally squadrons being attached to other armor and support companies, it was the fact that the Ryza pattern vehicles all were outfitted with amphibious assault packages that saw them deployed "en masse" during the raid. The presence of such a number of dual-drive outfitted support tanks in a single company, especially of the heavier variety, clearly indicates a direct logistical request made to the Departmento Munitorum as-such, though the original reasoning is lost to time, the tactical opportunity this enabled was without a doubt fortuitous. The entirety of the 17th was painted in the "panzer-stripe" pattern of the Azov tanks, here leveraging the color schemes found in the dry scrub land and wadis of the region.
Attachment:
Demolisher 3.jpg
Demolisher 3.jpg [ 325.38 KiB | Viewed 2308 times ]

While the company initially had a full muster of 10 tanks, battlefield attrition had reduced their numbers to the 7 initially attached to the diversionary force; A number deemed sufficient to provide the close range support expected to invaluable in shifting the enemy from prepared dug-in positions in the industrial sector. Critically however, when fording the river the attached 965th Merkeva commander's tank foundered during the crossing leaving the secondary Lt in command during the operation, seen here with the copula hatch painted with the honor marks beginning to appear in those Azov units directly lead by T'tenba commanders.
Attachment:
Demolisher 1.jpg
Demolisher 1.jpg [ 428.65 KiB | Viewed 2308 times ]

Despite being an under-strength Company, the power of the Demolisher Cannon was not to be under estimated in the claustrophobic conditions found in city-fighting. The Ryza Star-burn pattern Plasma Cannons can plainly be seen here as the secondary weapons equipped on all the tanks of the 17th. The pattern is known for having a notoriously fickle machine-spirit requiring frequent administration of the Rites of Maintenance by tech-adepts, the superior heat-dissipators allow a 17% increase in firing rate from more common patterns.
Technical Note: The 17th employed an alternate marking scheme utilizing the right turret to denote company. A rarer form though once consistent with Imperial Battle doctrine. The inconsistent application of this scheme, as can be seen on these two tanks, however leads historians of the Imperial Crusade to question if this had a tactical significance or was simply an artifact of war. Also note the white battle honors awarded to the tank crews prominently displayed on the side hatches.

Attachment:
Demolisher 2.jpg
Demolisher 2.jpg [ 243.05 KiB | Viewed 2308 times ]

As was common with many close order support tanks, the presence of additional defensive plates, sandbags, and the like were ubiquitously present. While the efficacy of their presence is debatable, crews often would swear by the improved protection of their driver's viewport from shrapnel and bullet strikes preventing them being fouled or misaligned which admittedly often mean the difference between life and death in battle.

painting note:
This is another of those "sitting around forever never got to them" ebay lots. Picked them up around 2010 and really have been trying to clear out older stuff from the lead-mountain. Interestingly they had been base coated with a color I was never able to identify and couldn't match anywhere and my luck stripping these 3rd edition tanks was nill. This meant when I painted them I couldn't make a single mistake as touchups were effectively impossible. Was actually stressfull looking back on it ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 11 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work Jimmy!

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next