Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next

I Have No Point: A random hobby log

Post subject: Re: I Have No Point: A random hobby log
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great looking medusa's - I second teh call for a group shot!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Soon. I have a MWR and a formation of Baneblades to complete and we'll have our groupshot. Promises! :)

edit: just weighed my two boxes out Guard tanks and vehicles in the ToDo pile and came out over 24K of metal left to paint. Uhhhhhgggg I'm never getting through this all this year. Must drink MORE coffee

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love your Israeli-style IG. The mini-dioramas add a lot of character to the army.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Going as far as I am on these first set of ruins. I am using them more as a test bed for various techniques before I build out the full city board I intend to.
Attachment:
ruins1.jpg
ruins1.jpg [ 398.56 KiB | Viewed 2923 times ]

Considering all the really texture-less and flat surfaces regular dry brushing really wasn't going to give pleasing results in the end. So in this case I used the old sotar airbrush and preshaded the first floor rubble and around the bottom level windows. I then went back with a strained and thinned out cheap acrylic paint for the base. (editorial note: I found it entertaining that the $3 giant bottle of paint was better quality than GW's ;D when it came to the pigment and mixing properties) and let her dry. Over a gloss varnish layer I then did an oil wash of startship filth and a wee bit of burnt umber and just went to town all over it. This gave some really pleasing burned out and sooty look to the lower floors. I threw on some various mixtures of pigments on the ground to give some color variations and lightly drybrushed some of the original paint color. I went over the eagles/skulls with bestial brown and then a touch of burnished gold. The facing "tiles" above and below were picked out in space wolf grey (FINALLy a reason to use that paint). I played around with a bunch of enamel washes from AK to various burnishing an grim/streaks to show rain and weather effects on the facade.

I'd give it a C- in the end.

More important was I can see how to assembly line these easily:
1. Sidewalks. A must have in retrospect super easy. Going to always just cut a square / rectangle of plasticard to go over the base leaving an edge for a street. Just mount the ruins right on top of that. If you want two patterns, one inside the other outside then simply cut into strips and then mount.
2. Oils / Enamels : GOOD. Preshading: Waste of time. Easy to mix filth (3 part rocket exhaust powder + 2 parts Lunar Dust) and simply brush on.
3. Blown up buildings should be craterized. Notes for the future.
4. Concrete grey should be different tonal paint than the building. In the pictures they're too close to tell they're different (in person it's OK).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:48 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The 11th motor rifles had the dubious distinction to be the first Imperial units to encounter traitor Astartes during the campaign. So far the forces of the arch-enemy seen had been mutants, cultists, and former guard units formed into ramshackle collections and directed towards Imperial lines. The sudden appearance of the foul traitors eventually identified as members of the [REDACTED BY INQUISITORIAL ORDER =][= - Only in death does duty end] marked a change in character of the war to come. Once reports reached the Army Group Imperial Tacticum, the general command we're quickly forced to reassess the nature of the enemy presented to them. It was one thing to face the Lost and the Damned, another entirely to face marines without proper numerical strength.

Attachment:
Chimera 1.jpg
Chimera 1.jpg [ 418.29 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]

After striking through the marshlands, the 11th proceeded to advance the A-G squads forward into the industrial sectors. The infantry were able to quickly clear the area and prepare for the expected counter attack the diversionary raid was intended to stir. The vid-capture above shows the first elements of the 11th company disembarking their Chimera transports upon reaching their objectives.

Attachment:
Chimera 2.jpg
Chimera 2.jpg [ 248.28 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]

Attachment:
Chimera 3.jpg
Chimera 3.jpg [ 288.88 KiB | Viewed 2521 times ]

As with the armoured companies, the Azov host mechanized infantry formations were placed under direct operational command of T'tenba forces. Despite being a hastily raised and trained regiment, the Azov forces proved themselves in the crucible of battle earning the respect of 964th Merkeva in particular. Above pictogram details the Armageddon pattern Chimera typifying the Azov infantry formations. Variant weaponry was typically fielded by Company command tanks only, illustrated by the Anti-tank missile and Plasma gun loadout.

painting notes:
Tried something new on the Chimeras and switched entirely over to using oil and enamel washes for the tanks. No drybrushing/edging you'd find usually. I used a dark charcoal and burnt umber mix, mixed very thin in white spirit, and laid down in multiple applications, almost like a glaze. Sounds complicated but it's really not. I'm finding the ability to mix, play with, clean, etc oils to be very liberating unlike acrylics. If I don't like the way it looks, just rinse your brush and wash it off with the thinner and you can start fresh. I find it gives a very smooth color gradient and IMO gives better results on "busy" models like these 3d edition GW Chimeras with all their stowage and gear. Weathering is simply application of graveyard earth spackling and dry brushing once the entire miniature is washed, decals applied, and a final sealant of Dullcoat to protect the model applied.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:05 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm going to lose lots of time going over these posts again and again. This work is incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent plog! Epic minis do look good on fow bases. Sorry if you have said this already but what are you using to base your terrain on?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work jimmy these look splendid.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Uh huh :-)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

adamwest wrote:
Excellent plog! Epic minis do look good on fow bases. Sorry if you have said this already but what are you using to base your terrain on?

I've moved from inverted floor tile (seen in the earlier terrain) now to using 2mm plasticard sheets, scored and cut to desired shape. I find the extra strength better to work with in the long run and providing some longevity to the items (hopefully).

moredakka wrote:
Nice work jimmy these look splendid.

Means tons coming from the great Moredakka! :) One of these days I'll catch up to both quantity and quality you've shown here.

Man of kent wrote:
Uh huh :-)

^^ Hey, look! It's MoK!! ^^

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More ruins for the battle boards because...well GrimDark TM ;D
Attachment:
WP_20140404_003.jpg
WP_20140404_003.jpg [ 259.3 KiB | Viewed 2973 times ]

Attachment:
WP_20140404_004.jpg
WP_20140404_004.jpg [ 328.93 KiB | Viewed 2973 times ]

Painting note:
Tried a wild crazy idea with this one that panned out. I did a series of grimey brown black oil washes all other and slapped around and before it was finished drying, sprayed Dullcoat all over. It will cause the formation of tiny little cracks in the surface as it dries. Instant texture!! (always hated those flat surfaces on the ruins but couldn't be arsed to do much about it). Oh and of course, no grey concrete building this time :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice one! Looks very practical too, from a gaming point of view. I have noticed a trend towards beige in miniscule grimdark architecture. Looks good!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
I have noticed a trend towards beige in miniscule grimdark architecture. Looks good!

But but but ... mine has white corners!!! ;)

Yeah I've noticed the backlash against the whole "In the Grim Future of the 41st Millennium, There is only Grey!" is strong :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 472 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 32  Next