Login |  Register |  FAQ

Rule clarification 1.6.1 Overwatch

Post subject: Re: Rule clarification 1.6.1 Overwatch
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those communities above have little to do with the game/rules being different between them and are more based around published and maintained lists "optimized" for the various groups (for instance, and this is a broad over-generalization, but French playstyles/lists have emphasis on the shooting aspect of the game over EpicUK players and therefore lists reflect that). Inside each there's going to be people that tweak things in particular ways. Yes, there's some broad commonality on topics that were deliberately left vague or do-what-works-for-you in particular regions (e.g. AU players tend to like true LOS while UK players tend to use more abstracted area terrain for play but in all honesty, that's a trivial thin) but you're far overstating the impact of any of them to play. I could fly to the UK and play Apoc and Kyuss one day and fly all the way way to WA to play Matt Shadowlord and immediately then fly to the Boston US and play Dave and not miss a beat.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:34 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

jimmyzimms wrote:
play Matt Shadowlord and immediately then fly to the Boston US and play Dave and not miss a beat.

I've actually done this! :D

NetEA Rules Chair
NetEA FAQ

Want to play Iron Warriors in Epic Armageddon? Click HERE
Some of my Armies.
My Hobby site.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree with you there, i Think i have made a mis interpretation between rules and lists, but my point still stands then more just the context i guess, why the need for all this random divergence within lists? is it not better to have a uniformity to them on a global scale?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Why? There's no uniformity in the fluff, every force being a unique snowflake at that time and moment when deployed in action, why would you expect that from lists? Part of the strength of the game is that you have such variances to begin with. JJ himself even wrote about in the original rulebook to change things up yourself to suit what you want to play.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:54 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I don't see how it would be better. If I were playing players in the UK or France every other week, sure. But I'm not, so it doesn't bother me.

Beyond that, there's 100 ways to put together and balance a list, with no one "right way". People can argue until they're blue in the face, but at the end of the day the vast majority of it is just an opinion, e.g. "it needs this unit to work", "it will only work like this", "that's broken that way", etc.

Given that, and with Epic being an undead game with no central authority you're not going to make everyone happy. People are too set in their ways to want to compromise with someone on the opposite end of the Earth. So rather than declare some lists "the lists to end all lists, anyone playing Epic must use these lists or not be allowed to play Epic" let people be creative and play tests the lists they want in their own groups.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

+1 for what Dave said.
E:A does not need touch. The core rule is the same for everyone and only minor stuff needs clarification in 5 min warmup to play with ANY E:A player on this planet.

The problem with updating, balancing or just simply changing stuff is that you probably affect the whole game and all existing army list to it. Following that path you will slowly realise you completely rewriting every single piece, thus creating a ruleset and army lists to it.
But even if some madman creates a full house ruleset with army lists I don't think there would be much fragmentation to the community, since it won't instantly delete all the achievements and efforts given to 4th ed which is more than sufficient for friendly games and tournament ones.