Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

EPIC Fathomless Destruction [Fan made rule-extension]

Post subject: Re: EPIC Fathomless Destruction [Fan made rule-extension]
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice conversions and additions - I will definitly give them a try!

Could you please clarify the Synchonization rules (fire and move aswell as overwatch)? I simply don't get it...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

khorgor wrote:
Nice conversions and additions - I will definitly give them a try!

Could you please clarify the Synchonization rules (fire and move aswell as overwatch)? I simply don't get it...

Wow thanks! I'm glad that you like it!

The basic idea of synchronization is that you can do multiple orders within the same formation.

1) There are lot of situation where not all units benefit (especially formations with lots of units spread out) the same value from an order. Lets say some of your units are in the open within range and LoS of the target enemy formation, however the rest of your formation sit behind a building, therefore not having LoS.

To optimize your firing potential, you can order a Sustain Fire for those units standing in the open, and only those units will fire with +1 modifier!
Then you make an Advance order with the units behind the building, coming out and fire with 0 modifier.

It is usual to have some blast marker during an Epic Battle, so in the example above, you only do all firing (sustain and advance and double if there is), blast marker counting when all movement is completely finished!
-and all enemy overwatch fire is made. :P -

2) The story is similar to the overwatch with a formation consisting indirect firing units. You can nominate some of your units to set up indirect overwatch, and the rest of the formation doing the direct overwatch.
It is important to know that one unit cannot do both direct and indirect overwatch!

Last but not least; all these synchronizations require a commander to be nearby, increasing their importance and usefulness for those armies which aren't rely heavily on intermingled assaults.

I hope that helped clarifying. ;D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

finally a use for the Space Marine captain character.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey thanks, I think I got it.

So in the action phase you declare a synchronized action, take one single discipline roll and perform two different actions (e.g. some units move, some sustain).

Looking forward to testing these rules!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nice work so far.

One optional rule for maybe an addition:

Players can bring a second army list if they choose. All lists must come from the same faction. Factions are Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Adeptus Mechanicus, Inquistion, Imperial Rebells, Chaos, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Necrons, Squat, Tau. If they choose to bring 2 army lists, both must be played each army list at least once during the event.

Altough every approved list must have a declaring which faction it belongs to.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

khorgor wrote:
Hey thanks, I think I got it.

So in the action phase you declare a synchronized action, take one single discipline roll and perform two different actions (e.g. some units move, some sustain).

Looking forward to testing these rules!

Yup, you see it correct. I might add, that the formation may perform all three available actions! ;)

During this conversation I just realized, the Tau armies don't have "commanders" in game terms, instead they have coordinated fire. I plan to fix that in 1.3. Thanks for that. :)

Koshi: Well that's interesting, but I think this option would have better place at tourney game events instead of an usual friendly game. Both has varies so high, by different gaming clubs, how they manage army list preparation sequence. I heard about people sending out their exact unit list before the battle and people keeping it secret until the end of one! Who can judge which way is better than the other? :spin

Personally I do like to know which army I'm going against however explicit unit list should remain hidden until the start of the game. Or at least our club tend to play friendly games that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A report!

After long silence, some friends over the empyrean kept fighting! Their experience, and some discussion has lead to 1.3!

Enjoy as I have! Here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/714 ... uction.pdf

CHANGES

-Army list removed (it does not need to be there atm, but later army list tailored to EPIC FD will be expected)
-Preventive order modified: -1 discipline penalty removed, it requires commander instead. Eldar farsight; may be used against preventive order [1st action, 2nd farsight action, but still no 3rd normal retain!]
-Short Move: Tau jet pack; it can be used without limits, after a short move. Hail to Tau mobility! :P
-Fire support changed into support weapons: it will be added to specific units instead being automatically added to AP weapons.
-Smoke Screen: instead of action restriction, it simply received a -1 discipline penalty, but can be done with any type of action!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Leveling to 1.4

CHANGES

-Transport giving cover save to armorless units removed.
-When Air&ground transport destroyed, every unit onboard will be 50% hit by the same firepower (AP/AT <--AA translates, MW, or TK)
-Barrage Table granted a new tactical option; the player may focus it's fire into one template and tons of bms, or forgetting extra bms, thus adding more and more templates.
-Barrage template must touch centre of base / model to gain attack roll.
-removed Regroup entry. It is already worded in action & orders.
-reworded many entries, cleaned some typos, errors etc.

So far I think I'm getting close to the vision where it all begun, and where it all ends!
When this book will be finished, then I will jump onto army lists for Epic FD.
In the beginning I thought it would be a simply inserting / modifying the new rules into the current army lists, but I think I have changed too much to fit into them... and the other problem is...

I have ideas for army lists... ::)

For a hindsight; let me show what's in my head

1) Generalist lists (Hell I won't have time for each and every sub race, however some of the sub units may be available some way.)
2) Common structure: Core + Upgrade, Support, 1/3 Air & Titans/Gargants
3) Loadout customization
4) Flexible armies, so every race can be tailored against every situtation in their own ways.
5) Catching the feeling of playing each race*
6) It probably won't be highly tested and balanced by hundreds of players around the world.

*You know, we all spend money & time into specific races, sub-races to play them. Some beacuse of look, some beacuse thinking it's OP to win more, but most beacuse of fluff and feeling!!! The world of 40k sells itself, no matter how crappy games, videos, books are created for it. We want that feeling, and we love to share it with other people. That's all.
Therefore my main number five (which is my luck number) goal will be to form at least part of the key feeling a race has to offer. I am not expecting everyone to agree with it, it's simply how do I look upon it.

Basicly two type of armies; Elite or Crowd. Elites are powerful, but few, whereas Crowd armies are weak but plenty. Elites get good strategic and discipline values, whereas Crowd armies will lack them most cases.
Elite armies units are exact in numbers on the table, whereas Crowd armies are abstracted and many of their units are representing a lot larger contingent then WYS. War Engines and Knights / Stompas are exception to this.

Titans/Gargants will be the individuals of an army.

Elite Armies will be: Space Marines, Chaos Space Marines, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necron
Crowd Armies will be: Ork, Imperial Guard, Traitor Guard, Tau, Tyranid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Had a quick read and noticed aircraft jinking get +2; so my Eldar Nightwings would have 2+ armour and the Phoenix bombers would be 3+ RA. Is that really what you intend, as these would become a lot harder to kill!

I suggest retaining the existing rule, that Jinking improves the armour to 4+!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yup that's right. And if I'm correct that will stand for Dark Eldar flyers too, and maybe some other elite army flyers I cannot recall atm.

And there are tons of changes that may over / under power formations with their current values and point cost.
This is why I'll write army lists specifically for these rules as mentioned in the above post.

My first priority will be catching the feeling of the army (if something needs to be awesome it should be. If something needs to be plenty and cheap it will be.)
then trying to work out point costs for them.

Miniaturewise I'll try to stick to available models and more or less number of models the currenty army lists demand.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ever onward for victory! 1.5 is here. Basicaly there is no big change this time. It is a bit of cleaning update.
One thing you may notice being added is Oversee to standardize the effect of above / below, as it occurs 3x times currently.

Mild changes instead of wild ones are sign to turn attention into army lists! Stay tuned! :spin :P >:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Discussing skimmer / jump pack abuse of passing through zone of control, I have decided to take it back, however not entirely.
They may pass through enemy ranks but not in a grand manouvre, instead within an engagement.

Also 1.6 introduces "charger" ability as a replacement to infiltrator, and latter receiving something you may find interesting and perhaps more sneaky.

Here you are! Enjoy reading!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9dL4t ... sp=sharing

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Soon 1.7 will arrive and a preview of Imperial Guard and Space Marine reference sheet! Traitor Guard will be the next but it needs more research on what and how to include.

Until then I'll summarize what to expect from current versions

Imperial Guard is a massed infantry army with lots of tank options and some BB variants. It's characters will give aura powers that will reflect the "chain of command" from older editions of Epic. Lot of defensive options like gun platforms, trenches, bunkers and frontier supply are available next to the offensive capabilites like drop units from marauders, or embarking on valkyires / chimeras are all ready to unleash the fury of the guard!

Space Marines are the elite force of the Imperium. Each character is a powerhouse individual that boosts the already strong formation of Marines. All vehicles, air units and even spacecraft are somewhat a secondary armament or support for the heavily enchanced warriors to fight their battle. Many of these tools may be extremely specialized for single roles, while infantry Marines, especially tacticals stand closer to be generalistic. (though they can be customized aswell)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aaand... is done for fun! 1.7 is here and preview of Imperial Guard and Space Marines!

1.7 focuses highly on spacecraft, and adds an option for Split Fire to be extended.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1.8 is ready, one addition and one change

-invulnerable save multiplier added in case one unit accumulates more than one!
-automatic armour save got completely changed and is introducing moderate casualty; a middle ground beetween losing a whole unit or leaving it unscratched.

IG and SM got some polish, and traitor guard stepped forward a bit. A preview of orks can also be seen!
Enjoy reading!

And one more thing: While working on the stats of armies, I'm also paying some attention for the list design, where they will end in some time.
The structure of how FD Epic armies will be built may be different than I thought for first. Currently what I'm thinking of would look like this;

Core formations - can have as many as points allow, and upgrades may be added.
Support / Air formations - each core allows one support / air formation.
Spacecraft / Titan formations - every "n" number of core formations allow one spacecraft / titan formation which also takes a support / air formation slot. (spacecraft 1 per army)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next