Login |  Register |  FAQ

Couple of odd questions

Post subject: Couple of odd questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So, I have been writing up a full summary of the Epic rules for a friend, and have come across a few oddities, particularly in the Aircraft rule section.

Aircraft jink saves, are they meant to be invulnerable? it doesnt say they are, but it seems like they probably should be. As a necron and ork player with access to MW/TK AA shots, I think I've always played that they are, but the rules in no way support this...

Overwatch and CAP: Overwatch has provisions for "if you go into overwatch on turn1, you can stay there into turn2 without making an activation roll, and if you want to during turn2 take an activation, you can, so long as you havent used your overwatch shot" but CAP does not, it just says that at the end of the turn you can choose to remain on CAP or stand down. is this intentional? Again, I think I've always played that it was a choice, but the rules do not support this

Aircraft Flak Attack: we know that aircraft flak coverage is less good than ground flak is (can only shoot if you end in arc) but is it really meant to be aircraft that performed a Ground Attack only (so if I CAP a ground attack run, the ground attack aircraft can flak me, but if someone then intercepts my CAP aircraft, those aircraft get no flak defence back?)

Post subject: Re: Couple of odd questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:23 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

All correct from Hena

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:31 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

We have played jink as an invulnerable. Worth an entry in the FAQ I guess.

On CAP, they can use it or remain on CAP into the next turn. If they remain into the next turn, they can't activate that turn just burn their CAP. That's meant to be them staying on station and not returning to base to be re-outfitted for a ground or intercept run.

Defensive AA has always been poorly written. I think it's pretty standard that every AC gets it, but only if the attacking formation ENDS it's approach move in their arc.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A ground attack action is not the same as landing (e.g. bombers can ground attack but can't land). If an aircraft on ground attack orders has landed, then it counts as a ground unit and can therefore attack aircraft that move past them. If it has not landed, then it is still an air unit and would attack aircraft that fall within its fire arc at the end of their move. The rules don't say that aircraft on any other type of order (CAP, Intercept) get these defensive AA attacks, although I personally would probably play it that they do.

By the way, I don't see anything specific in the rules to suggest that aircraft that choose to remain on CAP at the end of the turn lose the chance to activate (e.g. ground attack) in the next turn. Unless of course during that turn you "carry out an interception action in reaction to an enemy ground attack" (quoting the rulebook). I think it is ambiguous, but IMO according to the RAW it is just like Overwatch. It is certainly odd to phrase it like a choice, hence the ambiguity, but it doesn't actually say you can't activate it next turn.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kyrt wrote:

By the way, I don't see anything specific in the rules to suggest that aircraft that choose to remain on CAP at the end of the turn lose the chance to activate (e.g. ground attack) in the next turn. Unless of course during that turn you "carry out an interception action in reaction to an enemy ground attack" (quoting the rulebook). I think it is ambiguous, but IMO according to the RAW it is just like Overwatch. It is certainly odd to phrase it like a choice, hence the ambiguity, but it doesn't actually say you can't activate it next turn.

This has been cleared up before,from the rule book section 4.2
Quote:
Formations that are on CAP remain on CAP until they make an interception. If they haven’t made an Interception by the end of the turn, then they can either stand down and return to base normally, or remain on CAP into the following turn.

one of the previous discussions viewtopic.php?f=69&t=20334&hilit=CAP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm aware of the rule, it just doesn't actually explicitly say what is claimed in that thread and this one. That is, it says you can either stay on CAP or return to base, but it doesn't say that you MUST return to base if you want to take an action in the following turn. It doesn't say the opposite either, it just doesn't mention it, leaving you to follow the normal rules. Hence it is ambiguous.

It's not as if I care about it, but the rules support an "exactly the same as overwatch" interpretation just as validly, which is also simpler, so I would sympathise with someone who interpreted that way.

I know it may seem pedantic to some, but if there's an ambiguity then it's always better for it to be pointed out and removed. That's what FAQs are for.