Login |  Register |  FAQ

Tips on starting a collection of Epic 40k?

Post subject: Tips on starting a collection of Epic 40k?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:40 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I'm finally at a time in my life where I have enough disposable income to splurge on hobbies. Unfortunately said hobbies are officially discontinued. I'm looking to build up a few Epic 40k armies, preferably with some of the official miniatures. I've been trawling through ebay which seems to be the best option, unfortunately due to my location (all the way down in New Zealand) most purchases would have me hit with massive postage cost.

Some have suggested some alternate producers of 6mm, some of which are very very close, but just not the same (I maybe to nitpicky for my own good). Any tips on where and how to get started?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Tips on starting a collection of Epic 40k?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:52 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Honestly? My best advice is to get over the issue of 3rd party proxies. From what I have seen, Onslaught and Vanguard, at least, have waaay superior quality to anything ever produced "officially".

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I second that suggestion.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:43 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If it is a choice between Onslaught/Troubler maker metals and GW metals, I will choose Onslaught and Troublemaker every time.

If the GW stuff is plastic, then it depends. Some of the plastics are crap or way too momopose, some are great quality still and very varied. In that case I usually buy some of both.

It does partially depend on your army of choice, and the models you are most looking for. I personally prefer infantry heavy armies, which Onslaught and Trouble maker do very well. Some of their vehicle ranges are great alternatives(Onslaught Styginas as Dark Elves in particular), some I can understand are a bit too different from the GW stuff.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:22 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

At this stage you basically have two options, suck it up and pay through the nose for second hand 'official' models via ebay and FB trade groups, good luck getting hold of much in the way of chaos, latest edition eldar stuff and the like....

Or you can do a little soul searching and try to be pragmatic, then check out Onslaught and Vanguard miniatures who have a frankly stupendous range of models between them.... At arms length, which is where you're going to be looking at the models from 95% of the time, you can barely tell any difference, especially with the infantry.... There is also the option of trollz.cz who make pretty much direct copies of some GW models but only available via ebay....

Perfectionism or pragmatism.... I know which way I'd choose

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:01 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

What are you after, E40k-wise? From memory, I have some command Land Raiders, Thunderhawks, marine infantry and tank sprues, and maybe 9 Chimera?

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Vanguard's Skinnerz are fab Ork proxies - the only thing desperately missing are jet packed / stormboy figures but I think they are working on that. After that they have proxies for boyz, nobz, grotz, big guns, battlewagons, grot tanks, dreads, tinboys, super stompas, stompas, landas, bikers, scorchas, wartrakz etc. etc. and orks are so eclectic you can mix them with the real thing from GW. That's my plan when I get round them at least.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:00 pm 
Genehost

I have a complete orc army for sale

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Stormwind wrote:
Vanguard's Skinnerz are fab Ork proxies - the only thing desperately missing are jet packed / stormboy figures but I think they are working on that. After that they have proxies for boyz, nobz, grotz, big guns, battlewagons, grot tanks, dreads, tinboys, super stompas, stompas, landas, bikers, scorchas, wartrakz etc. etc. and orks are so eclectic you can mix them with the real thing from GW. That's my plan when I get round them at least.

Hey Stormwind thanks for highlighting my skinnerz forces, to answer your suspicions yes we are going to be doing jumppack skinnerz soon and more skinnerz models in general. I'd also like to update the gobblers and bosses sets as well sometime and create more aircraft, vehicles and walkers.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

3rd party all the way.

Most of GW's stuff is inferior in quality to the good 3rd party minis.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

@Mortimer - u made a decision on an army? Or u abadoned the idea?

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Mortimer - I am in a very similar situation to yourself, so hopefully can help offer some advice.

Firstly, this forum has been just so useful. After doing some reading around I've decided to opt to collect for Epic Armaggeddon, which seems pretty popular and by all accounts has a fairly active community. Of course, there is nothing to stop you collecting and then using other miniatures for Epic.
There is an Epic Armageddon section on the forum firstly, with some really useful threads (including one for Proxy minis)
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewforum.php?f=4

Here is the main rules link (all online for free!) which I found really useful
http://www.tp.net-armageddon.org/tournament-pack/

Miniatures wise - think this could almost be the ideal time to get back into the game again.
You've got the possibility of a three-method approach to collecting.
- Ebay. Although some is crazy expensive there are still enough examples of parents clearing out attic boxes ("box of epic warhammer") that you can get some good deals. I've collected amounts of tanks doing this, and then sold off the infantry because..
- 3rd party producers. Honestly I've been shocked by the standard of the likes of Vanguard, Onslaught miniatures. The infantry are just so detailed, and miles better than the old GW plastics from back in the day. Pretty reasonably priced as well.
- Finally, GW itself is re-releasing a new Adeptus Titanicus version. At the very least we should see new titans. If they give the job of re-writing the rules to the work experience boy and he makes a hash of it it doesn't matter, as you already have this great community supporting and playtesting the Armageddon ruleset.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I actually made a thread to ask some beginner questions, hopefully might be of some to use as well, and if you want to post some more questions in there please be my guest! :)
http://www.tacticalwargames.net/taccmd/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32714

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mortimer wrote:
So I'm finally at a time in my life where I have enough disposable income to splurge on hobbies. Unfortunately said hobbies are officially discontinued. I'm looking to build up a few Epic 40k armies, preferably with some of the official miniatures. I've been trawling through ebay which seems to be the best option, unfortunately due to my location (all the way down in New Zealand) most purchases would have me hit with massive postage cost.

Some have suggested some alternate producers of 6mm, some of which are very very close, but just not the same (I maybe to nitpicky for my own good). Any tips on where and how to get started?

Honestly the easily way is to play. Get up, get out and play with your local group. And go to conventions. Those players have more epic stuff kicking around. It is highly likely they have a dust covered item you want! Hell they may even give it to you.

Or cherry pick or poach collections. Get to know the wives. Save your coin and buy the whole dam thing. Everything. Take what you want, your really after and sell of the rest, the junk.

Or haunt eBay and Facebook. buy up painted armies. At least 3 times a year nice army comes up.