Login |  Register |  FAQ

What is your favorite Genre and Periods to Play?

Post subject: What is your favorite Genre and Periods to Play?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just a general wargaming question. I am guessing most here like SCi-fi, 6mm; but what else do you like to play?

For example:
Historical
- Ancient Greeks
- Diadochi (Successors)
- Roman Gladiators

Sci-fi/Fantasy
- Skirmish such as Frostgrave and Dragon Rampant
- Platoon Plus- Tomorrow's War, Rampant Stars

Pulp/Interwar
- 1920's Gangsters

How about you?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: What is your favorite Genre and Periods to Play?
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:36 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Historical
- Napoleonic
- ww2/modern armour

Sci-fi
Im pretty epic 40k 6mm locked really.
I'm very keen to find a good ruleset for 3mm scifi 'true' mass battles.
I have a vague nagging desire to try 28mm scif skirmish again some day.

Pulp/interwar
- not really my thing

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I used to be more focused on fantasy, but for the past several years my tastes have swung over to sci fi. I like BIG battles, and that means small scale and sci-fi, with sits tanks and planes an other vehicles works better for that (despite the fact that "realistically", as technology improves, combats seem to get smaller and more skirmish like).

Also worth noting that I have really developed an interest in starship games ever since x-wing hit. I've been looking at a lot of ship based games lately and there are a lot of really neat ideas there, but none of them seem to have synthesized them all into a real masterpiece.

Finally, I actively dislike historical games. My principle interest in gaming is the world building and historicals don't give me room for the creativity to create my own armies and characters instead of being slavishly tied to the historical personalities (I dislike when genre games provide named special characters for the same reason).

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm solidly on the sci-fi side of things wargaming. If it's not epic (irrespective of version or inspired by *cough EW) then it's going to be space capital ships going at it (DFC, BFG, SW:A)

I really dislike fantasy though I suspect that I would actually play Warmaster if it wasn't too hard to get figures.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

6mm Sci-fi it's Epic:armageddon all the way.

10mm Fantasy it's Warmaster (pretty new to it though).

28mm I like Infinity (but only with the limited insertion rule in effect, and i actually prefer 200p games for faster play) and would probably try Shadowar if someone asked me (loved necromunda back in the day).

I really don't see the need or the free time for plsyng more games than the ones listed above. I've never understood people who keeps buying new games and plays a dozen different miniature games. I'd rather play a few and get really good at them (understanding strategy and tactics, figuring out how to beat different factions etc). Not that it's anything wrong with it. But if you have a limited amount of hobby time i think it can be somewhat stressfull to fit in alot of different games.

"You have a right to be offended" - Steve Hughes
"Your feelings are hurting my thoughts" - Aron Flam

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

mordoten wrote:
I really don't see the need or the free time for plsyng more games than the ones listed above. I've never understood people who keeps buying new games and plays a dozen different miniature games. I'd rather play a few and get really good at them (understanding strategy and tactics, figuring out how to beat different factions etc). Not that it's anything wrong with it. But if you have a limited amount of hobby time i think it can be somewhat stressfull to fit in alot of different games.

A lot of times, for a lot of people, it's a case of most games aren't actually all that well designed and so get "solved" fairly quickly. People get sucked in by a glitzy package or intriguing background, play a while, and then discover that there really isn't that much to the actual rules, or the game doesn't quite hit the sweet spot they wanted it to, so they get bored and move on to the next big thing that they hope will be "the one" game that does it all for them.

Plus, you can get local communities that create something of a feedback loop with everyone only playing the new hotness and so when the next hotness comes out they all just switch without really thinking about it.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:12 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I definitely tend to fall on the 'army scale' side of gaming

For me I don't do historicals, mostly just because I don't have the time to play another system and I'm not a huge history buff (much to my regret)

My main game is EA like many on these forums, I think it's the sweet spot for a massed battle system

But my favourite setting is fantasy which hails back to my formative teenage years playing WFB

So game wise my main two are EA and Warmaster (with the revolution update, natch) I also sprinkle a bit of warmahordes in there from time to time and have got the guildball starter box to play with my son. I also enjoy x-wing as a casual father-son knockabout game and play Armada occasionally

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:44 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Over the years I've done everything from Napoleonics, WW2, American Civil War Imperial Romans and some fantasy.

As time has gone by I have put all of aside for 6mm epic sci-fi. My current projects permit little else.

That said I am very tempted by those Microworld fantasy figs shown of late. But I doubt I can get to them until after 2020. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Having gamed for many decades, I currently play
- Art de la Guerre (ancients),
- King of the Battlefield (Seven Years War Army rules, written and published by an old friend),
- Soppy Fockers (my own WWI air rules),
- Fleet action Imminent (WWI naval),
- E:A (naturally)

And of the many board games I possess, my favourites are
- House Divided (use the living rules on the internet)
- Victory in the Pacific + War at Sea (WWII strategic naval)
- Search and Destroy (SPI squad level early Vietnam)
- Arnhem (SPI)
- Carcassone (with various expansions)

And last but by no means least, Shogi (Japanese chess) and Cathedral (a much simplified version of Go)

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Napoleonics in 28, Ancients in 15.
Battlefleet Gothic.
Epic Armageddon.

Napoleonics consumes most painting time.
Epic Armageddon most time in terms of playing and discussion about rules/lists etc.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lots of different:

Historicals:
Mainly WWII, big panzer battles or skirmish. 15 or 6mm.

Scifi/fantasy
With 28mm, skirmish, frostgrave, hordes and similar.
6mm epic, battletech
Really liked the simplicity of Warmaster and have an army, but might get another one at some point.
Have a manowar fleet too, and want another one :)

Boardgames:
lots and lots of different stuff. But the games i have played the most during the last couple of years is smallworld, dead of winter, red november, nightfall and small fillers like zombie and cthulhu dice, tsuro and mister jack pocket

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:

Finally, I actively dislike historical games. My principle interest in gaming is the world building and historicals don't give me room for the creativity to create my own armies and characters instead of being slavishly tied to the historical personalities (I dislike when genre games provide named special characters for the same reason).

What does Actively dislike mean? Running up to people playing Napoleonic and ranting? Not a native speaker, so I might interpret your tone of voice too harshly. Actually, I find the word dislike in threads like these puzzling.

Me, like many others I game far too little nowadays.

Historical: WW2, Early 15 mm (Poor Bloody Infantry). I found it immensely satisfying to search for information on specific units, tactics markings etc. as inspiration for collecting, gaming and painting. Lots of creativity there. I prefer reading actual history to GW fluff-books any day. Actually, I prefer reading product information on milk packets to GW fluff.

I usually enjoy 6mm historical too. Played set games of Spearhead WW2 as well as modern at conventions.

Fantasy: never got into it. Have an old Chaos dwarf army and an unpainted Warmaster Empire. I do play Blood bowl occasionally (undead), if that counts as fantasy.

Scifi: 6mm epic, of course. Never did get the older games. Lots of fun unit concepts, but dull games in my mind. Epic 40 K is my true love. Now it's EA since it is difficult enough to find players for that now.

Skirmish _ I would love to try out Necromunda. Seems like fun and I have some teams.

Space combat - Bought the Dropfleet Commander Kick-start, but got seriously annoyed by the management from Hawk. Missed out on the buzz and will likely never play. Seems like a nice game though.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:10 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Nitpick wrote:
What does Actively dislike mean?

To me, there is a difference between saying "I don't like this" and "I dislike this". When people say they don't like something, generally they mean that they are apathetic towards it. They do t like it, but they also don't dislike it, it is just something that exists. The phrase "actively dislike" is meant to draw attention to the fact that I didn't use the phrase "I don't like", which would imply simple apathy, and make sure the reader understands that there are elements of historical gaming that push me away, rather than simply not drawing me in (the aforementioned lack of world building opportunities, among others). That's what the "actively" means, it refers to that metaphorical pushing away instead of the more common neutral reaction of apathy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Each his own, as they say. :)

I do have some sympathy with the notion of 'world building' to provide the background and reason for a given battle, though campaigns come with their own set of problems. As to individual characters, some historical figures defy the imagination
- the Greek general who would not get out of bed because he believed his legs were made of glass and would shatter (Hajianestis)
- the Prussian general who in later life thought he was pregnant with an elephant (Boucher)
- the British general who was certified insane and was twice confined to a lunatic asylum (Erskine)
- the Union general who occasionally believed he was a bird (Ewell)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Used to do pretty much mostly historical, with much being WWII. But certainly did many eras. Since the '60s. And after a decade + of 1 to 1 scale war games. When I returned home. I did nothing but sci-fi. With the gateway "drug" being GW's Epic. :o Having expanded that to many other 6mm sci-fi models producers. As we all know 6mm is God's scale ! 8)

Now I don't game, just try to paint my mountain of metal, plastic and resin. Before I get recalled to the mothership ... ;D

Attachments:
Lil' Green Man.jpg
Lil' Green Man.jpg [ 1.11 KiB | Viewed 4623 times ]