Login |  Register |  FAQ

Painters needed for the Primarch!

Post subject: Painters needed for the Primarch!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

SKILLED PAINTERS NEEDED!

The heralds have gone forth to all the brave souls wishing to join the Primarch's Crusade!

I have been very fortunate in recruiting some very talented painters over the years.

However the staggering size of the Primarch's projects are such that no one human being could ever put a dent into them.

Until recently I had 3 painters on duty, but one of them is winding down his commitments to dedicate himself to his work and career.

Therefore I would like to add another painter to replace the third one lost.

REQUIREMENTS

1. Skill level, Pro. Look at my recruitment picture. If you can paint at that level, then your what I'm looking for. I would need pictures of previous work and if the experience in in actual 6mm epic then so much the better.

2. Paypal account. I have a separate line of expenses dedicated to my hobby projects, so a paypal account is a must.

3. References. Unless I know you or one of the "old hands" that I know knows you personally, you'll need to provide some references.

Those are the main ones.

I pay for all expenses (shipping, materials, etc) and provide all miniatures and bases.

I am open to all price points. Just make sure your skill matches your ask. ;)

I never haggle with what a painter believes his skill is worth as long as it is lived up to. I have seen that a painter is happier when he earns what his skill is worth and thus works to the best of his ability. Arrangements should be a win-win for both sides. :)

You'll be dealing predominately with custom made models. You get to see a lot of neat things. ;)

A word of caution however. A commission from me is NOT for the faint of heart. It requires commitment and follow through.

Simply put, a single commission from me will be more models than you have painted in your whole life up to that point. This is neither a boast nor an exaggeration. It really is THAT BIG. So be sure you can actually accomplish it (barring of course life events that would preclude its completion).

Judged by current project timeline it may occupy 1 or 2 years. Quite a time commitment.

On the brighter side the financial recompense is substantial. :)

If your interested please e-mail me at: pramos10@cox.net

Thank you for reading and interest!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Painters needed for the Primarch!
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I've updated the original post eliminating the requirement for a US based painter. In retrospect it was not really necessary as a requirement. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Man I would love to help, but I can't even finish my own projects. . .

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i'd do the inverse P. There's oodles of professional painters and paint shops out there. They don't trawl forums for work. They've got enough organically coming in already. If you're looking for something top notch like your image in the OP, I'd be looking at award wining groups from Ichiban Painting to Golem Studios and be hitting them up on quotes.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:26 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

jimmyzimms wrote:
i'd do the inverse P. There's oodles of professional painters and paint shops out there. They don't trawl forums for work. They've got enough organically coming in already. If you're looking for something top notch like your image in the OP, I'd be looking at award wining groups from Ichiban Painting to Golem Studios and be hitting them up on quotes.

Agreed

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Ironically, one studio (not the ones you mentioned, but a studio nonetheless), responded by happenstance on facebook and I hired him for one of the projects.

I'll look them up to see what they got. I don't think about such avenues for painting because I think most of their experience in in 28mm, not 6mm. But it may not matter as much as I think it does.

Thanks for pointing this approach to me, sometimes I ignore the obvious. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:16 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I know that Golem painted a large epic space wolves army for CAL001 to a superb standard :)

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i'd say the scale differences are going to have limited consequence in the scheme of things at the quality level the Primarch Load requires. Send them a sample model to paint ;) I suspect that few if anyone is going to be focused on 10/6mm simply due to what the market is.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:
I know that Golem painted a large epic space wolves army for CAL001 to a superb standard :)

Hi!

Good to know. :)

Some of my projects mimic that (but to the usual primarchload orders of magnitude bigger in size), so I have to worry if they can even tackle that big of a job. The Golem website says they can take "small commissions" right now.

To this point the size of the commissions have been an issue. Understandably so, so not everyone can tie up a year (or more) of their time on one thing. Getting anyone to commit to such time is a major hurdle.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
i'd say the scale differences are going to have limited consequence in the scheme of things at the quality level the Primarch Load requires. Send them a sample model to paint ;) I suspect that few if anyone is going to be focused on 10/6mm simply due to what the market is.

Hi!

True enough. But I feel more comfortable with painters whom have painted actual 6mm epic figs, rather than extrapolate their 28mm work to how it would look at 6mm.

Those that I have hired I have done so because of their extensive work (and proof) of painting at this scale.

But as mentioned in the previous post, the real hurdle is to get someone to commit to actually taking on things this size.

From what I've been told its quite a shock to receive and see everything that needs to be done "in the flesh". So far no ones initial estimates come even close time-wise for completion.

My standard response being "no worries if it takes longer". It always does. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My magic 8-balls see a future in which the Primarch has legions of studios working away on the master's bidding. :)

Perhaps breaking down sections of the collection into various themed parts. Not like "here's my guard army" and dumping 12000 models on them but more like, "ok these 40 leman russ and that glob of infantry there with chimerax are my tallarn" [send to studio A], "these over here are the cadians..." [send to studio b]

I'm just in joy to see this finally happen :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:49 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

primarch wrote:
True enough. But I feel more comfortable with painters whom have painted actual 6mm epic figs, rather than extrapolate their 28mm work to how it would look at 6mm.

Oh fair enough. I mean, all things considered equal, yeah go with the one that has the 6mm experience. It's just the market for that is so limited it's very likely they've never even had the opportunity to even paint that for someone. Seems a bit limiting to make that a must-have versus another factor in the budget/decision making process.

primarch wrote:

In my business we call that concept: Programmer-Standard-Time. (double their estimate and then double it for your boss-you'll be closer to reality in the end :) ). This will be a legend my children wait to see finished, like a medieval cathedral. ha!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
My magic 8-balls see a future in which the Primarch has legions of studios working away on the master's bidding. :)

Perhaps breaking down sections of the collection into various themed parts. Not like "here's my guard army" and dumping 12000 models on them but more like, "ok these 40 leman russ and that glob of infantry there with chimerax are my tallarn" [send to studio A], "these over here are the cadians..." [send to studio b]

I'm just in joy to see this finally happen :)

Hi!

Would it scare you if I say I am already breaking them down in "themes"? ;D

The first three commissions are all the same "army", but different themes. One force/race has FIVE different projected themes, another 4, another 6, etc.

Therefore when I say commission, it really means a themed part of the whole. Each theme is staggeringly large, just image all of them belonging to the same army.

The accumulation phase (i.e acquiring the models to be used) has taken 3 years as of this summer. I project that phase not to be concluded until late 2017 or 2018.

That does not include painting, which only started last year (but picking up steam this year).

Kind of insane, but I'm doing it anyway. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

jimmyzimms wrote:
primarch wrote:

Oh fair enough. I mean, all things considered equal, yeah go with the one that has the 6mm experience. It's just the market for that is so limited it's very likely they've never even had the opportunity to even paint that for someone. Seems a bit limiting to make that a must-have versus another factor in the budget/decision making process.

primarch wrote:

In my business we call that concept: Programmer-Standard-Time. (double their estimate and then double it for your boss-you'll be closer to reality in the end :) ). This will be a legend my children wait to see finished, like a medieval cathedral. ha!

Hi!

Indeed. :)

One painter gave me a time frame of 6 months for one of the commissions. I laughed and told him it was okay if it took longer.

I'd multiply it by 4 and that is perhaps closer to the truth. :)

On the other end, things like this don't have "budgets". If I thought that way it would not be done. The cost in the end will be as staggering as the scale of the work to be done.

I might just run a contest and reward the best guess with something nice when its all done. ;D

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:07 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

closest guess to the nearest $5,000 wins the guess amount in cash prize?

count me in for that game! :spin