Login |  Register |  FAQ

Pics of Planetfall minis at last !

Post subject: Pics of Planetfall minis at last !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

See a few online but more at the spartan forum : http://community.spartangames.co.uk/ind ... ore-2014/#

Looks like a October release (at last!) Minis look great, too bad they are 10mm (and huge 10mm at that.)

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Pics of Planetfall minis at last !
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

They look awesome!

I don't particular mind them being 10mm though. GW epic wasn't technically 6mm (more like 7-8mm).

I could see proxying some of these. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pretty nice stuff !!!! I like the Big Combat Walkers better than GW Titans !!!!!! :o :wah ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

They were my first choice for a possible new game.... right until yesterday when I realised that hawk wargames released their resistance line for DZC.... ;)

The scale is too big for my tastes and from what I'm told about the rules it's mostly shooting rather than engagement-based which makes me a sad panda

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

kyussinchains wrote:

... from what I'm told about the rules it's mostly shooting rather than engagement-based which makes me a sad panda

You mean like in real life, you shoot at your targets at long range ... instead of GW's predilection for running into CQB with prefectly good ranged weapons but use them as clubs and carry chain-swords ? :eh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:18 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Or engagements are carried out as firefights with small arms at a few hundred feet or closer? Like most urban/jungle fighting

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Jungle, urban, closed terrain engagements are actually done at generally closer ranges because of LOS ... Most firefights take place at around 250m at mixed or open terrain. In the desert it can be longer in some cases ... But based on tactical lessons, beyond 250m without a scope it gets pretty hard to drop a man sized target ... Of course MGs generally have a longer range than an assault rifle ... but you still have to see the target to be effective. Which is more of a function of terrain/LOS as anything else ... Just FYI ... I was a Grunt for over a decade in my youth. And trained/operated in jungle, urban and desert environments ... ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
Pretty nice stuff !!!! I like the Big Combat Walkers better than GW Titans !!!!!! :o :wah ;D

Hi!

Indeed!

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
Jungle, urban, closed terrain engagements are actually done at generally closer ranges because of LOS ... Most firefights take place at around 250m at mixed or open terrain. In the desert it can be longer in some cases ... But based on tactical lessons, beyond 250m without a scope it gets pretty hard to drop a man sized target ... Of course MGs generally have a longer range than an assault rifle ... but you still have to see the target to be effective. Which is more of a function of terrain/LOS as anything else ... Just FYI ... I was a Grunt for over a decade in my youth. And trained/operated in jungle, urban and desert environments ... ;D

Hi!

All true. :)

But we still like the idea of close combat in the sci-fi age. ;)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:52 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

My hundred feet comment was more of an order of magnitude, the whole thing of engagements in E:A is that that 15cm represents about 250 metres... hence engagement/firefight.... if you can suspend your disbelief for a second we do play a game where superhuman soldiers like to whack tanks with electric hammers.... ;)

E:A is generally focused around engagements, they're the most fun and effective way to play the game... as a direct comparison between planetfall and E:A, I prefer the latter for its combat style rather than what amounts to a game of land battleships broadsiding each other....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, that is the E:A standard - 15cm =250m which is quite reasonable ... Of course I try to not pay very much attention to electric hammers and chain swords ... :D But yes, I do suspend my beliefs for gaming purposes ... but probably less than most ... ;D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Those leviathan have fantastic detail.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

More links to picks on this page of the thread (man their forum is clunky no page numbers as far as I can see ! ) http://community.spartangames.co.uk/ind ... 014/page-9

The leviathans are very cool (even if mechs are a bonkers concept as has been much discussed both here and there - no need L4 ! ;-) )and very likely to be usable as warlord/imperator scale proxies by the look if it. hopefully there will be some smaller mechs too as I really like the style.

Interestingly there is much discussion on the spartan forum about the scale. It seems that they go for the "10mm to the eyes" standard but even then they seem to be in the GW camp of bigger is better for vehicle sizes. This seems to be a spartan quirk as I use much of their "2mm" dystopian wars tanks as 6mm IG proxies and they are still quite big! The 2mm land ships are about capital imperialis size !

I think there are a lot of super-super-heavy tanks on display in the pics (probably to make an impact at the show) so hopefully there are some smaller ones too as those look like dinner plates. At least they have relatively low profiles rather than big ww1 style slab sides like a grandma who will remain nameless ! :-)

As for close combat in a scifi setting - I think we may have George Lucas to blame ! Of course it's mainly because it is cool. That said (and I'm no milligram man) however I am under the understanding that even in 20thC / modern combat an enemy who is willing to get up lose with a Bayonette is the most likely to cause high casualty rates and take positions, largely because it can really unsettle a trained army who expect to fight at small arms range and beyond (see the Japanese in the Pacific.) In a 40k (or Star Wars) context where much improved personal armour, special abilities or alien instinct make ranged weapons much less effective than today then hand to hand might actually become standard again. I'm in no way saying 40k is realistic, but see Infinity for example, where thermo-optically cloaked special forces ninja-types often get the jump on line troops who are not equips to be able to even see them !

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I will give this a go but I don't really like the idea of infantry being molded to the base. Vehicles and the Leviathans look fantastic and as said, can be used as proxies. Rules wise I don't see a problem.

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like some of the designs but my money is going into the terrain if they release some accompanying it. Have yet to encounter a Spartan Games rule system I like.