Login |  Register |  FAQ

WWII Infantry

Post subject: WWII Infantry
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(CyberShadow @ Sep. 18 2006,15:08)
2. What were the heavy weapons for the Germans at Stalingrad and El Alamein, the Soviets at Stalingrad and the British at El Alamein?

All three armies had medium and heavy machine guns and light mortars (50mm) assigned (as far as I know) to the platoon. I believe by El Alamein both the Germans and Brits had given up on antitank rifles as useless, but the Russkies might still have had some in use at Stalingrad.

With a little research, I (and probably L4 since he seems to be a fellow ASLer) can give you the precise models for all the various machine guns.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

German - MG 34 and 42, UK - Bren and Vickers, USSR - DP/P-27 and Maxim ... ?got to go to work ! ?D/S you take it from here ! ?And yes, probably by Alamein both sides have ceased using AT rifles but the USSR may still have had them ... but I didn't see it in the SL OOBs ... ?However, based on AH's Tobruk, in mid '42 the AT Rifle was still around ... but by late '42 it may have been gone ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Soory I'm late to the party but this may help as well

Platoon organization

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:45 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

CS,

What scale are you going to play in?

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Cuban Commissar @ Sep. 21 2006,13:44)
Soory I'm late to the party but this may help as well

Platoon organization

Very informative website.  :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:50 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Hi CC. Thanks for the site. I actually found this a few days ago and then lost it again! I will b playing this in 6mm (is there any other scale?). I will be using Mein Panzer rules, but doubling the number of infantry per stand and using larger bases.

I now need to look at the platoon HQ stands.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:34 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

What does a stand represent in the Mein Panzer rules?

Just wondering.

Good luck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great Site C/C !!!  I saved it !  We should have asked you sooner !  I knew there must have been a site out there !  Thanks !  :;):

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Dwarf Supreme @ Sep. 18 2006,19:28)
I don't think the Russkies ever had whole squads of LMGs, but I'm pretty sure they did have all SMG (sub-machine gun) squads from about mid '44 on.

I think they did have those from 1942 on, IIRC especialy in Stalingrad. The reason was, at close ranges SMG was more accurate than a rifle due to the volume of fire it could put out. Soviets suffered horrendous casualties in 1941 and had to rush partially trained infantry to the front. For the reason mentioned above, the SMG was more effective in untrained hands.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:25 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

(Cuban Commissar @ Sep. 22 2006,04:34)

It depends. Under the outgoing rules, a squad was represented by two stands of 4 (3-5) guys. So a Rifle squad was a single rifle stand and one stand with a LMG.

The new rules have a single squad represented by a single stand, but since many players have stands already made, a single stand of 4 guys now represents a squad (so two guys in reality are represented by a single infantry mini).

However, since I am just starting out, and since I want to be as historically accurate as possible. I will probably be using larger bases and 'real' squads. Wont make any difference to the game, but makes me feel better!  :p

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Mojarn Piett @ Sep. 22 2006,03:15)

(Dwarf Supreme @ Sep. 18 2006,19:28)
I don't think the Russkies ever had whole squads of LMGs, but I'm pretty sure they did have all SMG (sub-machine gun) squads from about mid '44 on.

I think they did have those from 1942 on, IIRC especialy in Stalingrad. The reason was, at close ranges SMG was more accurate than a rifle due to the volume of fire it could put out. Soviets suffered horrendous casualties in 1941 and had to rush partially trained infantry to the front. For the reason mentioned above, the SMG was more effective in untrained hands.

You know, I forgot about that. Also, I think Guards divisions had all SMG squads at Stalingrad. No need for the longer range firepower of a LMG in street fighting. SMGs were much more useful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

In '42 both the USSR and the Germans had SMG Plts (see my earier post).  The SMG was originally designed as a "Trench Broom", based on WW1 experiences ...  So for Urban Warfare, SMGs were perfectly suited.  :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:51 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

(CyberShadow @ Sep. 22 2006,02:25)

(Cuban Commissar @ Sep. 22 2006,04:34)

It depends. Under the outgoing rules, a squad was represented by two stands of 4 (3-5) guys. So a Rifle squad was a single rifle stand and one stand with a LMG.

The new rules have a single squad represented by a single stand, but since many players have stands already made, a single stand of 4 guys now represents a squad (so two guys in reality are represented by a single infantry mini).

However, since I am just starting out, and since I want to be as historically accurate as possible. I will probably be using larger bases and 'real' squads. Wont make any difference to the game, but makes me feel better! ?:p

Thats sounds pretty cool.

Ten guys on on stand would look pretty neat.  

Well I hope the project goes well and let us see the results.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:49 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, let us see the units when done ! :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:44 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Thanks guys. I will let you know as soon as I finish anything! The race is on. If the second world war lasted six years, I have set myself this time to finish a single platoon... I wouldnt hold your breath on this!  :D

I would like to diversify the 'Tale of Gamers' for next year, and allow the participant to select any force for any game, with only the price and schedule being fixed. If I go ahead with this, I may get involved and look at my WWII forces.

I have really been running around trying to find out the organisation of squads... I guess because they were so varied. Still, the TOE in the various game rules dont match up exactly, they are different from the web sources, and this is also different from the mini packs available. It is all fine specifying what a British Rifle Section contained, but since H&R only do a single pack in 8th Army dress, I may be limited after all!

I have found that you need to decide early on what your goal is. Are you a modeller, looking to put some interesting units on the table and guided by the packs available, are you dedicated to a specific rules set above everything else, and using that to specify your forces, or are you (like me) looking for historical inspiration? I want to refight engagements, even where the troops and units break the TOE in the rule books and if it means that I have to buy strange pack combinations (for example, the only way to get Soviet SMGs from H&R is to buy a dedicated pack of them).

My armour has mostly arrived (the US90 M4A1 Shermans from GHQ are just released, so should be on their way to me soon). I may put up a picture of my initial, naked armour units.

Thanks.