Login |  Register |  FAQ

Bolt Action

Post subject: Bolt Action
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:39 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played my first game of Bolt action at the weekend. A break from the 6mm stuff. I must say I am pretty impressed. It was the first edition (2nd on its way) 1000 point game of a simple attack and defend scenario.

Anyone else tried it? if so whats your thoughts?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bolt Action
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Played it a few times - lots of the guys at my club play, up to tournament level.

I like it, great mechanics (40k should play like this) but have mixed feelings about playing a game which is neither historical nor fantasy. Quite like the look of the konflict '47 version - though id probably use other minis (dust?) minis over the warlord ones - they are all a bit pudgy!

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wait isn't bolt action a ww2 game?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, but it bares about as much relationship to "the real" WW2 as a John Wayne movie. In fact that is a good description - it does a great job of recreating the adventure movies and comics of the 1950 and 60s.

I personally struggle with historical gaming - WW2 in particular. Grandfather fought on the front line after fleeing central europe and i think the family were always a bit unsure about war gaming in general when I started in my teens. He would have (apparently) hated it. If i play ww2 i generally prefer the more historic reenactment variety.

Don't get me wrong, BA a lot of fun as a game. And i actually think its a great thing to give the younger generations a way into learning about history. I just find it a personally a struggle to collect and paint "real" toy soldiers. Otherwise id definitely play.

Wow, that got a bit heavy! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

well I'd counter that most historical gaming isn't precisely "realistic" but at least I understand your point . It's on the far end of the realism spectrum :)

Funny that you mention BA is what 40k should be. I've long thought to myself that GoA rules would make for a good stand in engine for 40k factions ported to them.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, exactly. Its all a spectrum. At the end of the day, its got to be a good game too. As i say, i don't see it as a negative, just not for me.

A friend actually started writing "Bolter Action" mod rules, and then they announced GoA and he lost momentum. Now they are out we have all splintered geographically and ive never played it. Is it good?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:30 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

i perused the rules and it seemed to not be a a hot mess but haven't played. :)

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Must give it a go some time. But like most warlord minis the sculpts leave me completely cold.

My favourite mechanic from both systems is the dice bag for activation. I keep meaning to try it out in EA and see if it helps get away from the activation stalling meta. One day...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:34 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

CaptPiett and I have played random activation in our cold war games (we use cards instead of dice but otherwise it's the same system as BA). It definitely adds some fog of war to the game. One day I'd like to try assigned random initiative (a unit only gets to go when its card is drawn).

As to the OT, I played one game on BA at a con. Whenever you do this you always run the risk of the GMs not knowing the rules. That happened here a little bit and it slowed things down but it wasn't nearly as bad as a game of Chain of Command I played (that kid spent most of the game with his nose in the book).

Beyond that, the scenario wasn't the best. It was essentially three simultaneous games on a 12x6' with all games syncing back up in the end phase of each turn. The Germans had to advance and capture, and the Canadians (my team) had to defend. Most of my game had me sitting around waiting for the other guy to advance (which he did very little of after I scrapped his armor). We could have called our game after turn 4, but ended up playing another 3 turns wherein I advanced just to DO something.

Would I play it again? If my group picked it up in 15mm sure, but I wouldn't go out of my way to cultivate it here. It didn't strike me as anything special, and like most Rick Priestly games the rules are 2-3 times as long as they need to be. I have GoA, but that suffers from the same problem. Plus it would be yet another game I'd have to marshal a player-base for, got plenty of those already.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

We didnt play with BA mini's. We used 1/72 stuff (20mm) as it cheaper to get. Which I think helped a bit as it wasnt as "chunky" as the 28mm stuff. Plus it made the combat range feel a bit better. But the dice bag was the winner for me. First turn it was relatively even draws. Second my opponents nearly all came out in a row which meant at the end of the turn I had free rain.