Login |  Register |  FAQ

WW2 Naval Wargaming

Post subject: WW2 Naval Wargaming
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Does anyone play WW2 Naval Wargames? If so what rules do you use? And what minatures?

One of guys at my local gaming club has some of WoTC Axis & Allies War at Sea plastic prepainted figures. I figured that would make a good introduction. As he has a couple of fleets, including both Med & Pacific, I am hoping to get a few games in with War at Sea before moving onto more detailed rules.

Afterwards I reckon that I might give Mongoose's Victory at Sea a try. There are several people at our club who played B5 ACTA and I gther the rules are pretty similar to VaS. Might be a good way of getting more opponents if can get them interested.

The 1/2400 scale ships from GHQ look gorgeous and amazingly detailed but a bit too pricey for me. The 1/6000 ships are very cheap but a bit too small for my declining eyesight! So I reckon that 1/3000 scale might be give me the bst compromise between price and detail.

I have been looking on Navwar website and was amazed at the depth and variety of their 1/3000 range. They even do most of the hypothetical post WW1 / late WW2 ships, some of my favourite designs. At £10 for Navwar starter pack I can get a basic fleet for the price of a single 1/2400 scale GHQ battleship!!

So the plan is to dip my toes into the water with borrowing War at Sea ships to get started and then eventually try 1/3000 scale ships with more detailed rules.

What do you reckon?

Cheers

James

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:56 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Victory at sea for teh win, or er, victory.

Easy streamlined rules.

For miniatures I cant but to recommend GHQ, they are pricey but they just look awesome! I have IJN ships from GHQ and their detail blows me away.

I also have Panzerschiffe boats. They look like Monopoly playing pieces.

BTW those Skytrex ships looks nice painted, maybe I get few and try them out myself, Rastamann.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:58 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't play WW2 naval but I have looked at Victory at Sea, Age of Dreadnoughts for WW1.

I think the WoTC ships would be a good cheaper way to start.  My friend has Navwar vessels and he really likes those.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agis Neugebauer's page has a nice scale comparison article. In fact, that convinced me to try 1/6000 scale for Age of Dreadnoughts. So far I've managed to paint the hulls of three light cruisers in as many months...  :down:

I've tried Victory at Sea once with my son, there should be a batrep around here somewhere. Personally I like it very much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:39 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

@ Rastamann:
Nice fleets- I like the painting. Looks as if 2 fleets you've done would be a good match up.

@ Nicodemus:
I love the look of GHQ ships and they would be a good choice as they are sold in Sheffield gaming store. However the price is beyond my budget for the foreseeable futue. Also the scale of 1/2400 would be a bit difficult to play anything other than small games on our club 6' * 4' gaming table.

@CL:
Good to know that is another vote for Navwar from your friend.

@MP:
Thanks for link- I had forgotten about Agis website- a lot of cool minatures shown there. I found the scale comparison very interesting. I was surprised at the level of detail on 1/6000 ships- almost comparable to 1/3000 ships.

Cheers

James

Post subject: Re: WW2 Naval Wargaming
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Granted its Thread Necromancy but I figured it was better than starting a new thread on the same subject.

How is Victory at Sea? I've wanted to play a WWII Naval game for awhile but it was hard to find a good set of rules and ships that was easy to get and that most players around here would play. Is there any other good rule sets? Any new ship makers out there? I might go with GHQ just because they have the biggest selection on ships it looks like.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:48 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

I really enjoy it. It has very simple rules, and plays well. I'd suggest ignoring the Crew score, as it is really a superfluous feature.

I personally use Figurehead 1:6000 ships. I got my initial 5pt Raid IJN for around $25 from Strange Cargo Games. I currently have 22 DDs, 4 CLs, 12 CAs, 6 BBs, and a pair of CVs and have invested less than $100 in minis.

Ghost's Paint Blog, where everything goes that isn't something else.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: Leipzig, Germany, Europe, Sol III, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe
Does anyone know Micronauts? Seems to be GHQs own rules system for their ships.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Even more necromancy:

I play Colonial Battlefleet by Steel Dreadnought Games, and I really enjoy it. He has a set of Naval rules called Naval Thunder. I havent played it, but since I love his space work, I'd be willing to bet its a good one.

http://www.steeldreadnoughtgames.com/