Login |  Register |  FAQ

[DBA] Tournament report: Bilbao 6th Oct 2007

Post subject: [DBA] Tournament report: Bilbao 6th Oct 2007
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Location: University of Essex, Colchester, UK (soon to be Brighton, Sussex, UK)
Hi to everybody!

Long time no see around these parts of the board :p Hope everybody is doing fine!!

Here comes a report of my last tournament in a historical game: DBA (De Bellis Antiquitatis) in Bilbao (northern Spain, Basque COuntry) during thispast weekend. Enjoy!!!

++++++++++++++++++

I just returned (reference: written on Sunday night) from the Bilbao Tournament, held in the WARGAMES store. It has been a great weekend that could have hardly been better from a hobby point of view. Well I
could have won the tournament instead of being second for 1 element difference, but hey! :p It has been quite a mad experience, so I recommend it to anyone crazy enough to do it!

Great experience meeting other DBA fanatics there! Special thanks to Jesus, the owner of WARGAMES for hosting this event, and giving each one of us a Confused General miniature from CB!! Wohoo!! Special
thanks also to Raul "speedy rules lawyer" Perdicas for supporting me after the event, in a mad ranting night of beer and mad sex (more on that later). xD

For me it has been quite a fruitful event. I won 4 out of 5 games with my Ancient Brits (and lost 1 due to my own overconfidence), ended up second and went home with enough minis to buiold up a BBDBA Big Al army, a diadochii morph AND a Marian/Polybian morph! WOHOO!

A great weekend. And now, the story begins....

I left Barcelona (700km away from Bilbao) in the night train. After one of those nights-that-you'd-better-not-remember I arrived at Bilbao at 7:30 AM. Coffee in a bar (reading The Warlord by Henry Treece? and that almost made me play my SRB?) for 2 hours and trip to the store
after that. Say hello and unpack my Ancient Brits. 4 LCh, 2 LH, 6 Wb.

In the end around 12-13 dudes show up for the tournament. There are several DBM players that had seen the light... but only a 60 watt light bulb. We will have to show them some more light (Gestapo light
style?) to convince them that DBA is the best thing since sliced bread. But it might take some time. :D

GENERAL PICTURES:

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....argames

The tournament begins. 5 rounds: 2 in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. I defended in all my games

1st GAME: LATE CARTHOS. 2 ellies, 2 Wb. Victory: 4-0

PICTURES:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....carthos

It looks like a chess game. Loads of manoeuvre with no real combat. The ellies are ZOCed by Bgo Wb and neutered. There is a brawl in my right between Ps supported Spears and Wb, but with no real consequences. The real battle was in my left, where I achieved local superiority and rolled over his Wb + Ax & Ps. 4-0 to me after more than 1 hour (we finished AFTER the "last 5 minutes" call!!). A really nice DBA game.

GAME II: LATE CARTHOS (again). 2 ellies, 4 psiloi. Defeat 3-4

PICTURES:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....carthos

2 ellies again!! The army looked striking (won best painted) but it had 2 ellies. I hate ellies. It is the element I have the most problems against. I seemed to do OK, ZOCing one of them from BGo and destroying it after a pair of rounds of combat with a WB supported by
LH. The other ellie proved to be tougher. The real battle was in the other flank, though, with my mounted waiting for the enemy troops just outside the forest. 2 fell in short order and it looked like a 4-0 or 5-0 on the making to both of us. I even made a ru7n for the enemy camp just in case it worked.

Then I charged with double Wb against his Sp?.. AND WAS DOUBLED!! 3-2!!!

I rolled badly for PIPS in 2 rounds and he quickly recovered to kill my Wb and LH battling vs the remaining elephant.

Deserved 3-4 defeat for overconfidence and not having a B plan.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

FOOD

In a restaurant called Obelix?. And rightly so!! They served hamburgers that were taller than wider!! Quite a challenge to eat those! :D We suspect it was the store owner trying to get rid of us all?. DBA players stood up to the challenge! We play small, but tough!

GAME III: SPARTA 10 Sp, 1 Cv, 1 Ps. Victory: 4-2

PICTURES
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....partans

Vs Jesus, the store owner. I went overboard with terrain and had no space to manoeuvre (lesson learned for next time!!). It went Ok until I approached the enemy line and the spears surged forward. I lost 2 Wb
due to lack of PiPs (again).

It was a clear victory, but less so than I (and my opponent!) thought it would be in the end. I did not move my troops well here, spreading my mounted troops and Wbs. Still, a victory.

GAME IV: Seleucids(d): 2 Kn, 1 Cv, 1 El, 4 Pk, 1 Bd, 1 Ax,. 2 Ps.
Victory 4-0

PICTURES:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....euc%20D

AAAAAAAAAnd more elephants. Still, the D list, so it is the "diet Seleucid" list. No Sch, and only 1 ellie

The woods and the difficult hill screw up his deployment, since hw was obsessed with deploying in Ggo (a mistake IMO, but hey). 1 LH ZOCs the Pk from turn 1 onwards. A LCh and 2 Wb destroy the Kn & Cv that were
trying to flank my right and the other Wb and a second chariot kill the Ax in BGo.

When the Wb reach the Pk block it is game over 4-0.

GAME V: EIR. Foot general, 1 Ps.

PICTURES:
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums....1%20EIR

I had a road, so I had to try toe r4oad assault that we had been discussing in the fanaticus forum (DBA forum) LOL. It failed abysmally, with 1 Wb dead and a LCh and LH speeding back though the forest using the road to get out of range of the enemy Ax. Nice and funny try, though :p

In the other flank I did better and a LCh and LH destroyed the enemy Cv, 1 Bd and 1 Ps. 3-1 to me.

I decided to go for massive kills instead of capturing the enemy camp straight away. I did so because I was told that if I won big the "goal average" would make me win the tournament.

A pair of 1 and 2 for PIPs allowed my opponent to take the initiative and assault my general. He repelled the assault, but it was close. My Wb killed a Bd before I could assault the enely camp, so it was a 4-1 victory.

I lost the tournament for ONE ELEMENT. If I had captured the camp I would have won. Pitty. Next time, then :p heheheheh

With the prize I get a BBDBA Big Al army, a seleucid Morph and a polybian/marian morph. Not bad at all!!

IN the painting competition, my Crenshaw barbarians (a member of the Fanaticus forum that painted them for me) ended up second as well! Looks like it has been my "almost there!" tourney. Hehehe.

Well, fortunately I didn't win and will not have to send the prize to David overseas!!!

After that I went out with my last opponent and had a nice time partying. He guided me to my hostel, but I told him that I do not go to bed with anyone after the first game :D

Overall, a really nice time. I think I will repeat next time.

Cheers,

Xavi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:26 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Great report Xavi - good to see some people enjoying some small-size DBM! :)

Haven't played DBA in a while. I just got the latest DBMM rules (big battles) which are rather complex...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I heard comments more along the lines of "hardly playable: reminds of WRG7th edition et al".

I do not play DBM in any case, since I find the added complexity to not add enough to the game to warrant the extra inverstment in brain cells and miniatures for a single army. But yeah, we did have a great time!! :p

Cheers,

Xavi