Login |  Register |  FAQ

Quick question

Post subject: Quick question
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:06 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So I have started to collect a 10mm army and I was wondering about what base sizes are recomended for the various systems, before I commited myself.
What base sizes does everyone use for their 10mm forces?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi,

I'm not quiet there yet,
but I'm planning on modeling some ancients for WA in 6mm.

For Warmaster Ancients, the bases should be 40mm x 20mm, and round for the commanders (between 20mm and 30mm across)

These are available from GW for the regular Warmaster range, or any other supplyer like Litko

The thing that struck me yesterday while reading the rules is the representational scale of WA.
(and this has nothing to do with you questions but if you don't mind let me share it with you!)

from the rulebook on page 4.

"Although no fixed scale is intended, it is often helpful to think of a unit as a typical independant tactical body - for exemple a Roman Cohort or Greek Taxis. Such units would generally number between hundred to a thousand warriors."

So a unit is three stands...

So that means, for Warmaster Ancients, you base your miniatures on a standard 40 x 20mm base, and could put rice grains on it, hundreds if possible, and would achieve a better visual representation of whats happening than having a few 6mm or 10mm figures.

On page 140, the author writes:

"I always maintain that the game 'feels' right if you think of the actual warriors being about 1mm tall - about the thickness of the bases on which the models stand."

Now for the veteran miniature wargamer that has seen it all this will be of no surprise, but for me it changed how I look at all the nice pics in the rulebook! It sorted of removed the magic a bit.

So now I have to deal with this, I see a unit of 3 stands, with 30 men, and must think it's a full cohort...I'm not against it I just need to get comfortable with it..:)

I am currently playing Command & Colors Ancients, a light wargame which is hex based, and knew that a wood block represented hundred of mens, but thought that I would go for a 1:1 in WA, especially doing it in 6mm.

Apparently this is found also in WAB and DBX, so they are not getting away with it either...  :)

Sorry for rambling here just thought I 'd share a few things regarding Ancients and WA.

Here's a nice picture I found of unpainted 6mm hoplites
battlegames blog very impressive isn't it?

WA in 10mm can look very nice too, keep us informed on your progress.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wow!! great pic, thats 20 years of painting for me :D
And thanks for the info.