Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post subject: 300
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My buddy lent me the Graphic Comic "300" ... and I saw a piece on HBO about it and it looks like the movie does a good job at looking just like the Comic !  And I didn't know that the Spartans made it to Malta !?!?  :laugh:   BTW, my high School Football Team were the Boardman Spartans !  So I was a Spartan a long time ago !  :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Legion 4 @ Mar. 07 2007,19:21)
... I didn't know that the Spartans made it to Malta !?!?  :laugh:   BTW, my high School Football Team were the Boardman Spartans !  So I was a Spartan a long time ago !  :)

Well, this lot did!
And I guess one of them will now be called L-4 - no, better still, Lambda-4  :;):

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good to know ! And Lambda 4 will appreciate it ! :laugh:  :)   I'm heading to the gym to get muscles like those Spartans got in the movie !  :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't you need like 3000 Persians?

actually to do Thermapolae the correct number of persians is 1 million, and THATS why we remember. would have liked to have seen that( from a hill top far away) :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

wow did some research, 300 spartan and 700 other greek volinteers vs. get this/ Units Numbers
Fleet crew 517,610
Infantry 1,700,000
Cavalry 80,000
Arabs and Libyans 20,000
Greek puppet troops 324,000
Total 2,641,610

holy crap !!!!! a hill top far far away !!
oh and it's spelled Thermopylae :) (not that i'm being picky about spelling or have the rite )

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, some accounts don't make note of the 700+ other Greeks. ?But all 300 Spartans & 700 + other Greeks are still ridiculously out numbered. ?But I wasn't there, so I don't know for sure ! :D ? And I saw what the battle's terrain looks like today on the History Channel ... It has changed immensely since then, 480 BC, IIRC ... :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(Legion 4 @ Mar. 07 2007,18:21)
My buddy lent me the Graphic Comic "300" ... and I saw a piece on HBO about it and it looks like the movie does a good job at looking just like the Comic !

[film-buff]That's because the film makers used the same techniques as those used in making 'Sin City' - using computer generated back-grounds and altering the colour palette so that the comic strips are almost followed frame-for-frame.[/film-buff] :D

Like the comic, this film hasn't been noted for it's historic veracity! :;): But it looks very entertaining, I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Back on topic, I had a quick look at the Baccus website this morning, their miniatures are great; but I think trying to paint 300 of their l'il Spartans would be quite a gargantuan task... especialy with over half doz. Epic armies to finish - and the rest... :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

(illuvitar @ Mar. 08 2007,05:30)
wow did some research, 300 spartan and 700 other greek volinteers vs. get this/ Units Numbers
Fleet crew 517,610
Infantry 1,700,000
Cavalry 80,000
Arabs and Libyans 20,000
Greek puppet troops 324,000
Total 2,641,610

holy crap !!!!! a hill top far far away !!
oh and it's spelled Thermopylae :) (not that i'm being picky about spelling or have the rite )

Heh... Herodotus was known for exaggeration.

Hard to imagine how 1,000,000 could be kept fed on the march without a very, very significant supply organization behind them. ? (and the problem would be that the horses drawing the carts carrying the food would be eating it on the way...)

Hans Delbruck spent a lot of time discussing ancient army numbers...

(firestorm40k @ Mar. 08 2007,08:53)

Back on topic, I had a quick look at the Baccus website this morning, their miniatures are great; but I think trying to paint 300 of their l'il Spartans would be quite a gargantuan task... especialy with over half doz. Epic armies to finish - and the rest... :laugh:

At least the shield design's easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wouldn't know about 1,000,000, which does sound high, but Mr. X did prepare stores of supplies along the route before starting out; he also had the help of Thebes and co.
At any rate, I will NOT be painting 1,000,000 Persians...  :confuse:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:48 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just finished the book "Persian Fire" by tom Holland in preparation for the 300 :)  I can thoroughly reccomend this and "rubicon" by him as well- very readable and yet well supported too.

Anyway, the figures holland gives for the greeks  after Leonidas orders the bulk of the army (~5000 men) to retreat are;

300 spartans plus 300 Helots, 700 Thesbians and 400 Thebans for a total of 1700 men in the battle.  Of these, he reckons ~200 would have been killed in the first two days of the battle making around 1500 in the final stand.

As to the Persians he says that the figures by herodatus are generally considered a gross exaggeration, with academics suggesting figures ranging from 90,000 to 250-300,000 but in truth there is no sure figure.  Holland himself suggests that 250,000 is the generally agreed figure (indeed its what Ive heard before too).  

So although that means more greeks, at least it cuts your number of persians to be painted by a quarter vanvlak :p

EDIT-  Anyway you cut it they were horrendously outnumbered.  There cant be any other battle where forces have been so outnumbered and yet stood, can there?  The guts of the greeks, particularly the non-Spartans, really took me aback in the book....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

All very true ... figures from the distant or not so distant past are always suspect ... But as already said, they were totally out numbered, and  used terrain to their advantage. And the show on HBO showed how they made the movie ... a lot of blue and green screens, CGI, etc.   Plus a fitness trainer put them thru an 8 week program to get them in "Shape" !  They obviously were much more "Buffed" then the real Spartans !  And after all my gym time ... they may of had a little "bio-chem enhancement" !   Sorry to got OT ... well you better get painting Van ... either way !  :;):

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Spartans were pretty famous for there 'buff' bodies, so lets give them the benefit fo the doubt.

And yes, they definately had the advantage of terrain :D.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/thenewtonwebb
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/thenewtonwebb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yep !  But they were not that "buffed" ! :laugh:  I will give to them !  :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Globally they were outnumbered. ?Locally, though, in the mountain pass, it was less of a big issue- they just had to fight the same number of guys over and over, and over and over. ?

I guess that's what's meant by "eventually, the weight of numbers began to tell."

Where the actors had fitness trainers, the Spartans had Helots... Not actually all that much of a difference.

One historian termed military forces a parasitic attachment to larger society.  For Spartan society this was definitely the case -- they just happened to like PT a lot .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, a narrow front, like at Agincourt, gives the defender an advantage ...  Again with attrition from ranged weapons and close combat ... numbers eventually win.  And good infantry loves PT ... they better ! :laugh: