Login |  Register |  FAQ

WFB 9th Edition

Post subject: WFB 9th Edition
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Dear All,

There are some very scary rumours going around about 9th Edition. I think the worst for me are:

Armies being reduced to 6
Skirmish type game like 40k

Has anyone heard anything/have any thoughts on this?

I think they would be crazy to make the current armies defunct!

Thanks,

Rob.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sv: WFB 9th Edition
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Everybody wants to be Apple and focus on a few product lines. I think they'll loose droves of veterans but keep pushing to newbies. Then it becomes interesting to see whether it works or not.

Post subject: Re: WFB 9th Edition
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've read most of the rumors also :/ From a strictly economical businessviewpoint it seems like a possibility that most rumors become whole or partial truths. One static ruleset. None or few armybooks that wont need to be updated on a regular basis. Fewer sculpts to make if less armies. New troops come with statcards complementing the rulebook. Probably very specific feel of armies so miniatures cant be proxied as easily? You cant really trademark regular fantasy like dwarfs, elfs or men. Space Marines though - that you can. So maybe some medieval marines? :S Smaller batches for fast turnaround and less shelfspace taken up. Skirmish wouldnt suprise me since single miniatures keeps getting bigger and bigger both in WFB & 40K. It makes sense in that sense.

Looking at it any other way it feels totally bonkers though. Lots of IP out the door. Alienating longtime players. I dont know... It will be interesting to see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Not rumours, it's happening.

Basically there are 2 strands to it - removing races they can't lock down the IP on (Dwarfs, Empire, Brettonians, non-spiky elves)
Consolidating the remaining races into <10 boxes each

Post subject: Re: Sv: WFB 9th Edition
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

But the Empire is Warhammer! It's our relatable protagonist. I know the End Times (tm) killed it off but still...

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 12:48 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

IIRC it will be taken in a non-historical looking direction ie more sci-fi, plus there are the new not-SM warriors

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:09 pm 
Hybrid
Hybrid

Ruddy heck, Empire are one of the armies that I have kept as a 'these will never be dropped' army. Oh well, a bit more paint and I can turn them into a medieval army instead.

NetEA Ork + Feral Ork + Speed Freak Champion

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah this all sounds nuts but with the End Times I can believe it's happening.

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

IMHO and from a business point of view...it is a bad strategy. Sure, the kids spend more money impulsively but I doubt they will sustain the purchases in the long term, so your cost to bring new clients is ever increasing.

Also, its strategy during these years has proven not very profitable (its revenues have decreased over the past years).

For them have to be quite complicated to compete on price with other medieval alternatives...which is something very strange considering they are the biggest and supposedly the company with better technology...

Anyway, fortunately there are other options.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I just brought a load of stuff but luckily haven't opened it - apparently release will be June/July - bloody annoying as I have some massive armies and feel maybe I have wasted a lot of time and money on this.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No, no waste. There is always Kings of War and others.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My understanding would be that we'd have two versions of warhammer if it does become skirmish. SO the current warhammer would stick around, but not be supported as much, while skirmish should bring in new players.

Either way, I'm kind of less into warhammer at the moment. Maybe I'd play more with a more active club. The competitive scene is very unified, and great and everything but I still find that when I occasionally play at a club the disparity between the powers of the army books frustrates me and turns me off from playing more.

I'm really curious as to what is about to come. It could be great or terrible. I don't think it will be in between, unless they release two kinds of game.

I love flank and maneuver fantasy games, so if this doesn't stay as unit combat, I'll find a game that does.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Gwydion wrote:
IMHO and from a business point of view...it is a bad strategy. Sure, the kids spend more money impulsively but I doubt they will sustain the purchases in the long term, so your cost to bring new clients is ever increasing..

This might be true, but largely depending on the quality of the game. Bad ruleset? People wont stick around. But what if GW has managed to create a somewhat fun and balanced set of rules that also works on the tournament scene? Newcomers will be drawn in by the fun and stick around long enough to get stuck in the tournament scene. If GW manages that they might see a big increase in players.

As you say, revenues have decreased over the past years and a new edition of the same old ruleset isnt going to change that. Something brand new though? Maybe.

Gwydion wrote:
Also, its strategy during these years has proven not very profitable (its revenues have decreased over the past years).

Yup, it's pretty obvious something has to be done. Just one of many things to do: If you are bleeding money you cut down on expenditures. Too many armies to support with new rulebooks and miniatures? Cut number of armies. Too many miniatures taking up expensive shelfspace? Cut number of armies = less miniatures on shelfs. Less of everything equals less expenses. Less armies - less sculptors and so on. Wouldnt it be more suprising if they just kept on with the same gameplan when it clearly isnt winning them the game?

Gwydion wrote:
For them have to be quite complicated to compete on price with other medieval alternatives...which is something very strange considering they are the biggest and supposedly the company with better technology...

This is also something I think they are acutely aware of. But why compete at all? At the moment people can go buy cheaper dwarfs, elfs, humans and the like from other companies. GW cant stop that because the IP to these races is not theirs. If they kill of the old world and create something new with a very specific look and feel it will be easier for them to charge what they want for their miniatures. They can clearly create some very cool and big pieces that people are willing to pay big money for. If they at the same time have a functioning ruleset and great tournamentscene, well, proxies wont be an option for the competing players. Recasts maybe, but thats another problem.

Considering that they are one of, if not the worlds biggest miniature games company I believe they can pull this off. It's still a shame because the old world is a pretty awesome IP. Current gameplay is boring though.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi Mlkr,

Yes, you are right about the need to do something new. My doubt however is that they will do in the correct way. It seems to me that they are focused to much in "on-shot" clients (bring them at all cost, sell them something stupidly expensive, forget about them). They have been moving in that direction for years...

But, of course, if they change finally the mentality and come back to respect and promote the long term players (and the new ones!) that will be very good for the game and the community.

About pricing...I am very convinced that in most business (not just miniatures) a good pricing policy supported by a very efficient cost is more profitable in the long term. Just my personal opinion.

And yes...the IP about the old world is nice and with plenty of possibilities.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 1:07 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

So are dwarfs going the way of the squats?