Login |  Register |  FAQ

MAYHEM - Bombshell Games Yahoo group so quiet...

Post subject: MAYHEM - Bombshell Games Yahoo group so quiet...
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey all!
The Yahoo group for Bombshell games seems to have pretty much stopped...even though Brent is actively posting on his site. This is a quick rundown of some posts I put up recently, but they didnt garner much attention:

I have been roaming the forums looking for more stuff on Mayhem - but I havent seen much on it. Brent, you've got to be playing your own games. Where do you post most?

Sad fact: I actually dont own my own small-scale fantasy models, so I dont get to play often. I own 6mm sci-fi and some 28mm fantasy (skirmish stuff, as I sold all my Warhammer armies), but I love the fantasy armies genre, so read as much about it as I can.

There just isnt much out there these days! There dont even seem to be any files on here for Mayhem, so I cant happily waste time reading about other people's armies :P

No one responded to my last message, not even Brent =*( so I dont expect too much here, but I was noticing some pretty epic discrepancies last night as I was reading the Mayhem rules.

I do not know what version I have, as there are no version numbers in the front of the rulebook, but according to Wargamesvault, I have the latest downloads.

Beat Back (pp 8-9) and Drive Back (pp 9) appear to be NEARLY IDENTICAL. The verbage IS identical, although the formatting is not, after the first opening sentences.

Beat back uses the fluffy description "if a unit...bests another unit..." while Drive Back uses the more rules-lawyerish "if a unit...causes harm...". Otherwise, the paragraphs are virtually identical.

The QRS located in the file called "MAYHEM_MassBattleEdition_QRS", however, indicates that Drive Back is nastier than Beat Back (man, I really wish these had less-similar names!). The Beat Back entry omits the "destroyed if they bump into something" wording. Is this the case? If so, the book needs to be changed.

Now we add another confusing option, "Push Back", available for purchase (main book pp 17), and "Beat Back" (Stronghold pp 39), available for purchase. All in all, we have 3 similar sounding attributes, each with different results. Yikes. This is just a comment and not a "problem" :)

The QRS does not include any of the options in Stronghold, which is a HUGE bummer. None of the added Designations, TAGs, or advanced Sorcery are shown.

The file "MAYHEM_armyworksheet" does not show the Stronghold additions, either...

The file "MAYHEM_GeneralsCompendium" is only a repeat of the Army Worksheet, again not including any Stronghold additions. I cannot locate my former printed version of the Mayhem rules, and I overwrote the files when I downloaded the newer version from Wargames Vault, but the GC used to have much more...I think maybe the wrong item was uploaded? There used to be a file that described making units step by step. This was it, right?

I'm back into my 10mm fantasy kick, which means I get on forums and espouse this ruleset, but I think some of these changes need to occur muy rapido, por favor!

Thanks again,
Gavin

This was responded to by a Yahoo Groups member:
"Drive back and beat back are indentical : only destroyed if contact
with enemy unit or off table otherwise, just halt. they have different
names because the abilities that immune are differents.
Push back is a Deadlock ability and works differently."

My response:
So...they're identical on purpose? OK...then the QRS needs to be updated to reflect that (and I'd add that comment to the rulebook: "They're identical, but susceptible to different counters" or something...

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: MAYHEM - Bombshell Games Yahoo group so quiet...
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:23 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios, you are not alone with your interest in Mayhem!
We are working on establishing a small player base here in London though Mayhem is on a break till summer later this year.
(I personally blame a new Epic army and Star Wars Armada, hehe)

Our group has established similar notes about the trio of 'push back', 'drive back' and 'beat back'.
They are very much the same thing for different points and slightly different names.
I would support a possible revision for a future edition of Mayhem.

Same with needed updates for the player support documents like Generals Compendium etc.

The matter of version numbers for publications has been raised with Bombshell Games before.
Still hope we see this detail included in future publication to help to easily identify which ruleset one is using.

If i am not mistaken we are looking at three versions so far.

- 1st edition/original release
- updated release together with Stronghold
- updated print release

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 2:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey Kelios, here's a quick clarification on drive back, beat back, and push back.

Drive back and push back are resolved in the same exact manner from a mechanical standpoint. However, there are differences in what types of units can perform them and which abilities are immune to one or the other.

Beat back only affects units that have been beaten in melee combat [think beat=melee]. page 8

Drive back can only be performed by:
1. regular cavalry and chariots in melee [think drive=riding down enemies and driving them before you] page 9
2. any missile weapon performing volley fire and the blunderbuss [think drive=driving fire] pages 9 and 16

Units that have been beaten back or driven back into contact with an enemy unit or off the table are eliminated. top of page 9 for beat back and bottom of page 9 for drive back

So, the 'results of causing' and 'mechanics for resolving' beat back and drive back are the same [hence the similar but possibly confusing names :D ]. It's the methods of causing each and the counters/immunities that are different. For example, a unit that is disciplined [page 17] would not be driven back by volley fire, BUT it could be beaten back by a troll behemoth if it were bested in combat.

Push back is similar to the others conceptually, but it:
1. is resolved quite differently than the other two mechanically
2. only occurs on a tie in combat
3. has the pushing unit remain in contact with the enemy after resolution
4. eliminates the pushed back enemy if it contacts ANY other unit, an impassable terrain feature, or is forced off the table

Quote:
If i am not mistaken we are looking at three versions so far.

- 1st edition/original release
- updated release together with Stronghold
- updated print release

MrGonzo has it right with the sequence of releases. The final print/pdf is considered the first complete version due to the staggered release schedule. Any future editions will feature an version number.

Looking forward to hearing about the action in that Summer league MrGonzo!! ;D

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 7:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks, Brent! I just ordered two full armies (Wood Elves and Vampire Counts) so will be able to get some games in soon.

Any thoughts about the General's Compendium quandry (seems different in the new edition than the first copy I used to have), and Stronghold additions being added to the cheat sheets?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The first copy of the General's Compendium did have the unit building information you referred to, but that content was made obsolete after the upgrade and the addition of Armies of Mayhem.

Quote:
Thanks, Brent! I just ordered two full armies (Wood Elves and Vampire Counts) so will be able to get some games in soon.

You should definitely go and download Armies of Mayhem then! In addition to the normal builder files, there are a collection of armies that have special abilities, attributes combinations, and unique units that aren't found in [or allowed by] the core rules. There's an Undead and Wood Elf army list that should suit your needs nicely. These armies are meant to be played against one another and not 'stock' armies.

The Stronghold information is also in the BattleScribe builder and adds a quick explanation of the bonuses, attacks, and special abilities added by each upgrade. ;)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I know - I own all that (and paid for it, too!) - but it isnt available in a nice easy-to-print format (trying to get all the unit profiles required "making" an army of 1 of each unit...).

I'm just saying, since the QRS is included in the purchase, it should be updated with the new entries...

Thanks though!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 9:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No problem! I'll see what I can do about getting the Stronghold upgrades added to the QRS. ;)