Login |  Register |  FAQ

Heresy Rules: Anyone still got a copy?

Post subject: Heresy Rules: Anyone still got a copy?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Long ago I wrote some 6mm rules called Heresy. They were available for many years at the Epicentre, but was lost in the passing of the years.

I have had one or two hard drive failures in that span and no longer have the file. I have located it on the web, but apparently have to pay 9 bucks to get it. Irony. ;D

I was wondering if any of the old hands on the forums had a copy and can shoot me one before I go get the one I have to pay for.

Thanks for the help. :)

Primarch

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Heresy Rules: Anyone still got a copy?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Is this the one ?

Attachment:
Heresy 2.0 Complete.pdf [2.17 MiB]
Downloaded 257 times

Heaven knows where i hoovered it up from - probably the epicenter. Probably in the time i was getting back to playing an looking for anything epic. Had filed it under net-epic so a pig to find... :D

Never played it - what was the story ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Is this the one ?

Attachment:
Heresy 2.0 Complete.pdf

Heaven knows where i hoovered it up from - probably the epicenter. Probably in the time i was getting back to playing an looking for anything epic. Had filed it under net-epic so a pig to find... :D

Never played it - what was the story ?

Hi!

Great, thank Blip your a lifesaver! ;D

Heresy was designed by myself and a host of people from the old days whom wanted a game to use GW figs, but incorporated more modern design concepts (at least at the time). It was a response to epic40k basically, that a good game that didn't sacrifice the 40k background to get a good game.

A lot of people pooled their efforts into it, Heck I even got a guy with a PHD in mathematics to do the tables. ;D

Oddly enough it had a following back then and I even got some requests for it recently, so that's why I'm asked about it.

I will get Tom to put it back up! ;D

Thanks again Blip!

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:22 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I found this point costing formula among my files, which is I think a general go-by for Heresy?

Attachments:
formula.pdf [19.84 KiB]
Downloaded 424 times

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Glad to help.

Looks quite interesting. Presumably this was written between the Epic40k debacle and the start of EA ? Must confess I'm an unrepentant fan of E40k (despite its premature birth) and though i have grown to love EA i still find some of it a little "gamey." I like the way you have kept the simplicity of the stat lines while introducing a lot of special abilities. The assaults seem to have some of the E40k feel too with tables and supporting fire etc. which i always liked. The progressive penalties for suppression and command structure bonuses i like a lot.

Are you planning to do some more work on it ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

thedespot29 wrote:
I found this point costing formula among my files, which is I think a general go-by for Heresy?

Hi!

DUDE! A gazillion thanks for this!

I was thinking about this as I went through the rules and thought is was lost forever!

You guys ROCK! ;D

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Glad to help.

Looks quite interesting. Presumably this was written between the Epic40k debacle and the start of EA ? Must confess I'm an unrepentant fan of E40k (despite its premature birth) and though i have grown to love EA i still find some of it a little "gamey." I like the way you have kept the simplicity of the stat lines while introducing a lot of special abilities. The assaults seem to have some of the E40k feel too with tables and supporting fire etc. which i always liked. The progressive penalties for suppression and command structure bonuses i like a lot.

Are you planning to do some more work on it ?

Hi!

I started to write this 1 years after the Net Epic project began, so that is around 1998. It was already apparent that Epic40k wasn't going to last (it finally went out of print in April 1999). It was completed before E:A came out. Of course, there are those whom thought out then that I based it on E:A, but Heresy predates it by several years. The final update was in 2005, mostly the army lists.

It is well known I didn't like epic40k (that's putting it mildly.. :P ), but a lot of people didn't realize that I base the bare-bone skeleton on precisely that game. :)

The objection to epic40k and later incarnations was that for those whom liked epic back then, it was the draw of recreating all the "quirky" things of the 40k universe in the actual game experience is what made it endearing to us (still does).

In simpler terms, we like the fact that a titan has a volcano cannon, or vortex missile or anything else, with its own rules. Condensing everything down to "macro weapons" or other generic terms, kills the flavor and the thus the experience for many of us. In short, I want pulsa rokkit "kabooms", dragsta fields, Mortarions death wind, eldritch storm and the whole host that gave the game its FEEL. That was the draw and GW failed to realize this and thus epic never recovered back to its second edition golden age.

From an objective perspective I consider both epic40k and E:A BETTER DESIGNED games. I really do. But I don't play epic for that type of experience. There's a whole market out there of rules for that sort of play style, for GW epic I wanted mechanics that made the 40k universe come alive on the board.

So I thought, how to meld the two? I think a simple skeleton for the rules is VERY appealing, so I looked at epic40k's core (and several other games available) and basically made a simple activation sequence, eliminated orders altogether (alternating activations were new to design back then and becoming more popular), made a simple direct stat-line and codified the most basic concepts most people like for this scale (light vehicles versus heavy, anti-personnel versus anti-tank, etc).

Into this add a morale and suppression scheme (also a very popular and modern design concept) and you get a pretty decent core. Which we tested quite extensively and it seem to work and yielded reasonable results.

For the "feel" part all we did is make a list of skills/attributes that when assigned to a unit made it behave in a favorable way but still in the context of the simplified core. Thus you get a more streamlined battle system AND units with abilities that make them behave like you would envision that certain type of unit work in the 40k universe.

To be frank I was very surprised that people actually downloaded the rule set and played it quite a bit back then. As it turns out by the several requests I got, people still do. Perhaps it did not reach more people since I "dropped off the grid" for 8 years....

As I read through them again, right off the bat I'd drop the pre-measuring restriction. It more modern times its kind of silly.

I'm also looking at the several systems like artillery activation and the damage resolution system to see if I can streamline it some more.

Who knows I may get "frisky" and layout a book for it. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Heresy is once more available at the Epicentre:

http://www.netepic.org/heresy1.html

A thousand thanks to those whom had the files all these years. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the explanation.

Just to be clear - i didn't think you had cribbed from EA. By the look of things it may have been the other way around ! :D But then not that surprising as they are both coming from the same brief - take the fluidity and neat concepts of E40k (suppression/command etc) and spice it up.

In fact my feeling has always been that E40k was rushed out half finished because of a snap management decision to cut back to 2 core games in anticipation of LOTR (no proof but call me a cynic :) ) and that it was never supposed to be so limited (otherwise why have so many variations of minis ?) I've grown to like EA but some stuff feels clunky and bugs the crap out of me - but it makes for a sharp, balanced and deep game that i can find opponents for - that's a good start !

However I'd always liked the idea of writing my own "Epic 3.5" - it sounds like that is exactly what Heresy is ! Its been right under my nose for years ! I'll keep an eye on it from now on... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Thanks for the explanation.

Just to be clear - i didn't think you had cribbed from EA. By the look of things it may have been the other way around ! :D But then not that surprising as they are both coming from the same brief - take the fluidity and neat concepts of E40k (suppression/command etc) and spice it up.

In fact my feeling has always been that E40k was rushed out half finished because of a snap management decision to cut back to 2 core games in anticipation of LOTR (no proof but call me a cynic :) ) and that it was never supposed to be so limited (otherwise why have so many variations of minis ?) I've grown to like EA but some stuff feels clunky and bugs the crap out of me - but it makes for a sharp, balanced and deep game that i can find opponents for - that's a good start !

However I'd always liked the idea of writing my own "Epic 3.5" - it sounds like that is exactly what Heresy is ! Its been right under my nose for years ! I'll keep an eye on it from now on... ;)

Hi!

No worries, I know what you meant. I just remember people saying that back in the day and I found it amusing then. All the epic40k "hate" aside, all that system needed was an additional shell to "spruce it up" as you say. :)

Ya know, I never thought about the temporal relationship between the gutting of epic and the upcoming LOTR IP use by GW. So I guess we can both wear the "tin foil hat" of conspiracy theorists. ;)

I agree its a sharp, balanced, perhaps deep game, but I find it as dull and unfulfilling as week old bread. The irony of different tastes.... ;) :P

What I find interesting is that we're both desiring the same kind of evolution of the game, something that binds the better aspects of the two. Heresy was such attempt. But there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

Heck, depending on your time an inclination, why not develop it further between both of us? It can always use another co-author. ;)

Shoot any commentary on it my way, I'd love to hear it.

Primarch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well i'm honored to be invited ! :)

I might send you some more notes, unfortunately now is probably not the best time (new job and hottest summer for 5 years ! :D ) But to be honest my main problem is getting players to test. My buddies are hard core gamer fans with little time. We usually play tightly written competitive board games. I on the other hand just like getting my toys out and having a laugh ! ;D I talked them into EA because i mange to proved it has the balance, competitiveness and depth they are looking for. Unfortunately they are not interested in the "fluffy" :D side of gaming or spending time writing/testing/refining unbalanced rules. If my player base changes i might be able to take a serious look.

Interestingly I looked back at my comments on the beta Exodus Wars rules and its surprising how many of that wish list Heresy fulfills...

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=24866&start=15

The glaring omission (and one thing i really miss in EA from my SM days) is hidden and pre-planned ordering. Not only was the orders phase a great bit of psychological bluff and counter, but one thing i hate from EA is how after a failed activation the player can change their intention completely (eg. the player declares their unit is about to do a heroic advance, fails its activation and then instead skulks off to hide :D ) I know Hene had a rule with this order system that essentially had a different "failed" order ability for each type of "intended" order. There was also a fun thing about ordering 2 turns ahead, though it sounded a little fiddly.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=25114

To be honest it looks like heresy is already quite developed and now just needs some serious play testing and polishing. Have you thought about buddying up with a commercial company to develop it ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Have you thought about buddying up with a commercial company to develop it ?

That's an interesting thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Blip wrote:
Well i'm honored to be invited ! :)

I might send you some more notes, unfortunately now is probably not the best time (new job and hottest summer for 5 years ! :D ) But to be honest my main problem is getting players to test. My buddies are hard core gamer fans with little time. We usually play tightly written competitive board games. I on the other hand just like getting my toys out and having a laugh ! ;D I talked them into EA because i mange to proved it has the balance, competitiveness and depth they are looking for. Unfortunately they are not interested in the "fluffy" :D side of gaming or spending time writing/testing/refining unbalanced rules. If my player base changes i might be able to take a serious look.

Interestingly I looked back at my comments on the beta Exodus Wars rules and its surprising how many of that wish list Heresy fulfills...

viewtopic.php?f=76&t=24866&start=15

The glaring omission (and one thing i really miss in EA from my SM days) is hidden and pre-planned ordering. Not only was the orders phase a great bit of psychological bluff and counter, but one thing i hate from EA is how after a failed activation the player can change their intention completely (eg. the player declares their unit is about to do a heroic advance, fails its activation and then instead skulks off to hide :D ) I know Hene had a rule with this order system that essentially had a different "failed" order ability for each type of "intended" order. There was also a fun thing about ordering 2 turns ahead, though it sounded a little fiddly.

viewtopic.php?f=132&t=25114

To be honest it looks like heresy is already quite developed and now just needs some serious play testing and polishing. Have you thought about buddying up with a commercial company to develop it ?

Hi!

No problem what ever you can contribute is fine. I'm the first one to say how hard it is to get any group to commit to do anything for one night, let alone several sessions.

The reason Heresy seems to "hit a lot of spots" on the want list is because I survey people back then as to WHAT they wanted. It seems there was a lot of overlap between both old school epic players and new school on a lot of things (in other words the difference between both groups is less than people seem to think). It became quickly apparent that all that was needed was a "simple" core resolution mechanic (which would appeal to epic40k fans) and a modular shell of "abilities" that you could use to tailor units to "behave" in unique ways.

I have not played it in ages. As I read it I wonder is the assault mechanic and the artillery mechanic can be whittled down further, but last time I tried that people seemed to like the original form better. It's kind of amusing how gamers get used to mechanics so fast. :D

I know exactly what you mean by pre-planned orders and such. Coming from a historical gamin background there were some games that used all sorts of mechanisms like this. We thought of it, but while a fun mechanic for people like you and me, a lot of people don't seem to "dig it" and many more don't like how it "slows down play". Granted that is not my feeling about it (nor yours), but I was overruled quite vehemently against any kind of pre-planed orders and such when heresy was tested. Gamers are such strange people... ;D

I remember having some people inquire about publishing it, nothing very serious mind you. I never thought very seriously about it. Then again 6mm rules are such a niche product, I wonder about its commercial viability.

Primarch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Evil and Chaos wrote:
Quote:
Have you thought about buddying up with a commercial company to develop it ?

That's an interesting thought.

Hi!

Interested? ;) :P

It would be kind of funny to get such use out of this after almost 15 years of it sitting around.

Stranger things have happened. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Since the forums has yielded the original file and more, there was one file covering wargear cards and psychic cards.

Anyone think they got this last Heresy file kicking around?

Thanks!

Primarch