Login |  Register |  FAQ

Looking for mass combat game suggestions

Post subject: Looking for mass combat game suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hey all

I'm a veteran wargamer all the way back to the 80s and 90s. I used to play Epic 40k, Battletech and Ogre/GEV. I would like to get back into a 6mm Sci-Fi game but there are so many choices.

I'm looking for something that is truly combined arms... armour, infantry and air power. I want to feel like the game is representing a major engagement.

Any suggestions? I would prefer to play in 6mm scale.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Looking for mass combat game suggestions
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whilst I'm just a poor young'un and relative gaming novice to some of the esteemed people here, Legion 4 seems to know quite a bit about the options! I would be interested in finding out what's out there, too.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well, there are several different versions of Epic that are fan supported these days, you could find out if anyone in your area plays one of those.

Both Battletech and Ogre have recent re-releases out and have been seeing an upsurge in popularity.

Polyversal just ran a successful kickstarter and should be coming out pretty soon-ish.

There is also Dropzone Commander that is 10mm scale, but is very well supported model wise and has a pretty interesting background. I've always felt like someone had taken a GW rules system and fixed it.

That's about all I am able to comment on.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Epic Armageddon is the most popular with people on here and my favourite wargame. It allows for massed combined warfare and has more manoeuvre and strategy than older versions I played.

Whereabouts in the world are you? There's an active EpicA scene in various parts of the UK and 10 tournaments running this year.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Bit late reply I know,

EpicA is popular and is a good game, my group here in Gloucestershire play mostly FWC, which , while it has its flaws, does allow you to play outside a specific fluff setting. We enjoy it and it does let us pitch daleks against space marines, or Kraytonians vs Eldar. I like it a lot and would recommend it highly

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

My friends are interested in Future War Commander, which lets you use any dang models you want to proxy for whichever faction, basically. =P

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk

EPIC WIP: Grey Knights, Space Wolves, Eldar

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Future War Commander uses the 'Warmaster" orders system, so take tha tinto consideration if that is your type of thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:07 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not everyone likes the activation system in FWC but I think it depends on what type of player you are. I've had my moments of frustration with it but I've gotten more relaxed and think it does allow that introduction of both Lady Luck and Murphy to your planning and can result in some positively cinematic situations which I think suits a scifi setting.

I think the fact that there are lists for loads of manufacturers and the unit creation system is simple has let us play some really great matchups, after all it's good to get all your toys on the table.

It scales well, our group tends to play 1000-2500 point battles, sometimes with up to 6 players and it handles this quite well but you will find yourself introducing a few house rules. Given the difference in tech between the army lists this provides some interesting matchups between small high tech forces and very large low tech ones. Given the number of games we have played and the relative parity in victories between different armies, from a very broad perspective it seems to be nicely balanced ... apart from bloody kraytonians! Grrrr. I always seem to lose to them! ;D

My biggest criticism is that it's a tad too generic and I could do with a bit more flavour and scifi goodness.