Login |  Register |  FAQ

Bioframe - My first wargame

Post subject: Bioframe - My first wargame
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wanted to make a wargame at least once. Here is my first try or better its creakinig skelleton.

What is Bioframe?
A 6mm sience fiction game in which both parties controll biomechnical Mechs. Its somewhere in the future not to far not to close. It is mostly based on my faible for mechs and biomechnical designs.

For the rules i wanted something slender and fast. My goal is to make the game with not too much effort. For that I stole mechanics from Saga, SoBaH, Rouge Planet, Mayhem and some others.
Unfotunatly I have no time to playtest the rules at the moment. I hope i can get to that in the next weeks. But some feedback would be aprechiated.

Here some core concepts for the game:

Quote:
Features

Super Fast
    Breed Soldiers
    Reaction Mechanic (Infinity/Overwatch?)
    Super simple army creation (Saga, Rogue Planet)
    Command Pool (Infinity)
    Army Special Rules ONLY BIOFRAMES

Goals for this project:
    Development and testing of the rules
    Design of a professional rulebook with illustrations, graphics and examples
    Files for printing units, markers, rulers and terrain.
    Files for 3D printing miniatures

The rules are barebone and written in bad english.
Behind the link you can read and comment on the rules in a google doc.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P0h ... sp=sharing

I would love some comments and crits.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Bioframe - My first wargame
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Worldbuilding Stuff

Factions

African Union
The biggest player in my World. It's wealth comes from controlling 60% of all off-world imports. The equatorial space elevator build on the lands of today's Republic of Congo is the backbone for the always resource hungry masses of the 14 billion population of planet earth.
Best education, high populaiton of modified people, excellent infratructure and rich culture. The African Union is the rolemodel for most states.

UN Peacekeepers
The UN is a ghost from the past. The shell of a giant. Nowadays its mostly a military tool for European and US Politics.

Ideas for more Factions:
  • Chinese Federation - A democratic china. The second largest superpower
  • India - Another big player
  • Pan America - An defense pact of south american states. Heavily backed by the AU

Last edited by DasBilligeAlien on Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

placeholder 3d Miniatures

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Whoa Kool!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

First off, I really like the cover art. I am jealous!

Now, I read through the rules, and there are a few things i want to call out.

1. If you are using Alternate Activation, I would skip the reactions. They bog down the game play, and the opposing player can choose to use his CP if he wishes to react in their activation.

2. The feeding and breeding troops is very novel!

3. When counting up CP, is it Bio-frames only or Infantry as well? It looks like you could spam Infantry units by breeding to get more CPs and then only spend them on your Bioframes? Is that true?

4. Does facing matter in this game? Moving you can face any direction and turn as you wish, but is there a LOS facing that matters?

5. I like the standardized ranges, but you could just as easily put the number so I do not have to go back/recall what range L is. Just call it 60 CM instead.

6. You could further differentiate Bio-frame survivability/size with # of hits instead of just using 2.

7. What role does infantry play in the game? Why would I want them?

Just some quick thoughts after reading through the rules. It is a good first pass, and their are some cool ides in there, you just need to flesh things out a bit. LOL- Flesh!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote:
Whoa Kool!

Thanks! ;D

Easy E wrote:
First off, I really like the cover art. I am jealous!

Now, I read through the rules, and there are a few things i want to call out.

1. If you are using Alternate Activation, I would skip the reactions. They bog down the game play, and the opposing player can choose to use his CP if he wishes to react in their activation.

2. The feeding and breeding troops is very novel!

3. When counting up CP, is it Bio-frames only or Infantry as well? It looks like you could spam Infantry units by breeding to get more CPs and then only spend them on your Bioframes? Is that true?

4. Does facing matter in this game? Moving you can face any direction and turn as you wish, but is there a LOS facing that matters?

5. I like the standardized ranges, but you could just as easily put the number so I do not have to go back/recall what range L is. Just call it 60 CM instead.

6. You could further differentiate Bio-frame survivability/size with # of hits instead of just using 2.

7. What role does infantry play in the game? Why would I want them?

Just some quick thoughts after reading through the rules. It is a good first pass, and their are some cool ides in there, you just need to flesh things out a bit. LOL- Flesh!

Thanks, I personally don't like that cover all to well. Mostly because I rushed it out of the door

1. I agree i will likley drop the reaction. I keep it at the moment to remind me to fidn an interesting mechanic for solving combat.

2. Thanks, at the moment they are my favourite part of the rules.

3. Good question! And yes, all units including infantry count towards CP. At the moment only three infatry stands can be bred per bioframe.

4. ARGH! I think i forgot about facing :D Damn need to think about it. Thanks for catching it!

5. I will provide the next version with printable rulers. That said, at the moment i can change the ranges and only have to edit one place in the rules :P I am lazy, sorrry.

6. Yeah Bioframes could use some more love.

7. Another good question. At the moment infratie are only CP generators and mission point hoggers. I am not satisfied with that. But first playtesting!

Many thanks for lots of good thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I would love to see an AAR in action.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:29 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes that definetly would be a good idea. Got a bit sick so it will take a bit I fear.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I started a thread int the delta vector google group and there is some really nice interesting discussion going on. I will post several of my thoughts about the game here.

Quote:
have to say I am bit unhappy now with the project. It started as a kitbash to churn out a game as fast as possible but know I want to actually have a decent game.
Reading the post about what makes a mecha game tick brought back questions i kinda avoided since I started this endeavour.

Most importantly: What do I want from this ruleset?

First I just wanted a complete ruleset. Now I want one that feels like super fast biological mecha action. My attempt to kitbash a generic thing was doomed the moment I wrote down the feed and breed mechanics. Now I want more of that and less of the generic stuff.

So now I have new Primary Goal:
Make a game about biomechanical mecha

That means I actually have to think about stuff. Urgh.

Todays thought derailment:

Movement needs to be awesome. I love the fast mechs of Armored Core 4 Answer. Skimming and boosting are a given. But maybe give it dual use? Like boost next to smaller units to deal damage or pin them?

The biomechanical nature needs to be the core element of the game.The breeding and feeding mechanics are the best part of the rules so far. They need to be enhanced.
Feeding should give more then repair and breeding is crucial for generating CP in the current rules but for not much else.

Shooting is boring currently. The dicing is bland not much drama - only spamming. I am not really interested in the shooting. I am sure that's why it sucks. Maybe a different kind of skill check?

Customization is important. Currently it's choose a bunch of weapons and upgrades. Only that the upgrades stink. I agree with Robert as in I should only do one gun for testing purposes and focus on the core mechanics. Ignore upgrades and such shenanigans until later.

What about the pilots? How important are they in this game? To me it feels like they should be all trained professionals(more like breed professionals). Not so much the world for super teens with some x factor.

The more I think about the less I like the command point pool thing. One the other hand I like the short precise order it has currently. What I want is frantic action. I need many short activations on both sides and if all energy/command points is spend. The next turn starts.

Infantry, tanks, flyers they all should play supporting roles. How about everything has a singular purpose? Flyer are single strike weapons or recon. Tanks are for slowing down or finishing off targets. Infantry are for capturing buildings. And they all can be bred on the battlefield. Means none of them can be bought in the army creation. It also makes for interesting decisions. Do I spend my eggs on infantry to hold an objective or on a drone to increase my efficiency?

Sensors, e-warfare and gadgets. I love all this junk. I think some kind of non lethal equipment would be good. Thermo optical camo and such things. But for that I would need a spotting mechanic.

Durability. I think i just found something I like. How about when a new gets a wound. You remove one weapon. If it loses the last weapon it's dead. I kinda like it, Even if it increases bookkeeping.Helps with the mech flavour.

The stats. Currently we have this:

MOV = Movement - Maximum distance you can move-
QUA = Quality - Pilot skill and quality of equipment.
ARM = Armor - How much eat your bioframe can eat.
SLOT = Amount of equipment a frame can carry as well as it’s point cost.

Are these enough? What about sensors? Should I split quality in sensors and skill?

Skill checks currently work a bit like in infinity. Throw a die against the stat and roll under the value. Modifiers increase or decrease the stat value. Thats ok, I think. Not sure if d10 are a good choice. Of course people like to roll high. But also higher stats are preferred.

Many thoughts.I will pander a bit more in my head and you are all welcome to join me. :)

And a post from today:

Some thoughts:

Eating your own weapon can be used for:
      generate an egg
      healing a wound
      restoring a different weapon system
    Instead of loosing all weapons until the Bioframe dies, the owning player can choose between loosing a weapon system and getting wounded.
    Eggs can be used for:
      healing a wound
      create a unit
      reastoring a weapons system
    Eating a corpse can be used for
      generating an egg (if the Bioframe is below the maximum)
      healing
      restore a weapon system
    If one side looses all bioframes the game ends (The player can still win the game through objectives )
    The amount of eggs per bioframe should be reduced.to 2
    Thruster movement/ boosting should also allow for breaking through small barriers and jumping on top of buildings.
    Infantry moves through all terrain types besides impassable terrain without penalty.
    Terraintypes:
    Impassable (only flyers can traverse it)
    Buildings - can be entered by infantry
    Difficult terrain - can be travesed by all units but gives a movement penalty to bioframes and non-infantry ground units(tanks)
    Barriers - small scatter terrain. gives some arm mods to non bioframe ground units in contact.
    Open - normal terrain, no penalty or boni for anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

FYI.... I am part of that group as well. Look for the adorable baby-faced avatar. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Woah I never followed up here on TacCom. I am only very slowly developing the game. I am a very visual person. I amwanting to set up the layout but also waiting for the software to be released in which i want to do the layout.

Kinda a very slow cooking. On the other hand I have some more idea about the background and I designed some unit concepts.

So here is the latest release:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pps ... sp=sharing

I woudl love if somebody could play test some of it.