Login |  Register |  FAQ

Horizon Wars - 6mm SF from Osprey Wargames - 19 April 2016

Post subject: Horizon Wars - 6mm SF from Osprey Wargames - 19 April 2016
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:37 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's up for pre-order now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1472813 ... ey+Jenkins

I've mentioned it a few times before on this forum, particularly in the thread I dedicated to the miniatures I've been painting to test, demo and illustrate the game. But i thought you guys might like more detail.

The game is generic in that you can use any miniatures (although the mega-walkers rules are implied rather than specific), but it has a setting. This is broken into four (and a half) historical periods from "near future" to "distant future".

The scale is Platoon+ up to Battalion level, with a mix of options when it comes to missions and scenarios, from set-piece battles to randomized "adventures" (I like the adventures best).

The core mechanics are alternating activations in which each element performs two actions, with opponents having an option to react. The randomizer is a d12 and you'll need a few. Maximum is typically seven, but you can get by with fewer.

Play-testing has taken four years, with hundreds of games played. I have a huge list of supporting and expanding material to work on, from specific rules for super-heavy tanks and mega-walkers, through "historical" campaigns and settings to full-on tournament rules.

I'm also working with Brigade Models to produce a selection of pre-designed armies from their 6mm range.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Horizon Wars - 6mm SF from Osprey Wargames - 19 April 20
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:55 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've played a few games of this after down loading the original £1 wargames versions (mech, air and armour/inf.) Great little game ! Just thinking, it would be a great multi-player down at the club.

So what's new in the print version ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:19 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The main difference is that the rules are expanded to cover the full combined arms force: tanks, artillery, paratroops, recon, SF... I've tried to find ways to incorporate anything with a little imagination.

As mentioned, there's now a whole setting to the game that covers something like 700 years and all sorts of excuses for a fight, from savage war, to sports, to violent reenactment (the Sealed Knot becomes much more interesting when everyone has spare bodies they can upload into).

The other key piece of work was on the "Adventures" random mission generator, of which I'm very proud. It makes every battle a new challenge, and the momentum mechanic really captures my own experience of combat being less a fight to the death than a slogging match to see whose will is eroded first.

Also, of course, lavish illustrations from Jessada Suthi and loads of photos of my miniatures collection from all sorts of manufacturers: Brigade, Wargames Emporium, Reaper, 15mm.co.uk, EM4 and others.

I also have to admit that I've slightly improved the wording of some rules from the original MechaWar. Speaking of which, I tried to contact all of my original customers to replace their original MechaWar with an updated version, more compatible with Horizon Wars. So if you never heard from me, drop me a PM with your email and how you originally purchased MechaWar and I'll send you the newer version.

If you didn't pay for your copy (I did encourage file sharing), and would like the new version you can still PayPal me £1.00 for the update.
R.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sounds good! Will give it a go with the local club - good opportunity to get all our Titans on the table :-D

A copy of the revised rules would be great. I'll PM you my email - bought it on the £1 wargames website (hell at £3 for the lot who would need to rip it off !? )

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:47 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Pre-ordered. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I love you! Literally finishing the photography now.

R.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wonder if the rules have been updated in a way that makes mixed combat with infantry, vehicles and mechs work without problems. Is it possible to construct and add more customizable tanks now? Whatever, I am more than curious. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wonder if the rules have been updated in a way that makes mixed combat with infantry, vehicles and mechs work without problems. Is it possible to construct and add more customizable tanks now? Whatever, I am more than curious. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes and no. The conventional forces aren't anything like as customizable as mechs, but they're are definitely options to customize.

Rules for super-heavy tanks and mega-mechs will, however, be the first published expansion for the game, and should follow the main release very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

These sound like the rules that I've been waiting on, do you have a blog where we can see some AAR's or get more details.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I do have a blog at http://precinctomega.co.uk/wp but I've not updated for a while and most of the content is related to other design projects than Horizon Wars. The main site is currently down, but I hope to have it back up early in the New Year with brand new content. I appreciate the suggestions and will include a summary and some sample battle reports on the website.

R.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That blog I mentioned is active again. Being more generic in content at the moment, but I'll be putting up an AAR in the next few weeks. Also, I'm going to be doing some vlogs covering how to assemble your army list and other related stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:14 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Great presentation!

Personal & Wargaming Blog: http://www.theancienttrack.blogspot.co.uk