Login |  Register |  FAQ

pocket 40k? anyone tried or just reduced inch too cm for 6mm

Post subject: pocket 40k? anyone tried or just reduced inch too cm for 6mm
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

just wondering if anyone has tried playing 40k in 6mm scale either using the pocket warhammer website I have just seen or by reducing inches to cm?

ok a bit of an explanation here. played 40k for a long time and dropped in and out of epic from adeptus titanicus up until EA. love the EA game rules and don't really have the room/storage or money to go crazy as I have before on 28mm

when looking at building an epic board I tend to have to hold myself back on the detail, just finished a modular board measuring 100cm by 150cm and the first thing I did before I built it was work out the size of a 40k table in epic and then started planning 6-12 scenery items per 40k board

for instance

firefight range 15cm in epic bolter/lasgun range 24 inch in 40k
so each battlefield in 40k shold equate to double the range of small arms or 30cm by 45cm to represent a 6 foot by 4 foot board

so the board I have built originally started to take shape when planning as 9 reduced 40k battlefields...
after realising I was going to drive myself mad and nearly all of the details would have no real effect anyway I added much less detail but am still planning to add a few little bits.

so now wondering if maybe building a 6x4 board or even an armagedon scale 12 x 8 and playing 40k in 6mm would be achievable or utter madness!!

thinking of reducing everything to cm so the boards would need to be about the following

6 x 4 standard = 72cm x 48cm

12 x 8 apocalypse = 144cm x 96cm

So before I go mad trying to add build this and add little trash cans and lampposts everywhere has anyone tried playing using 6mm models

how did you find it?
did you use individual infantry models or base per squad/fireteam and record casualties

any feedback would be nice or any thoughts from others about this as an idea?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: pocket 40k? anyone tried or just reduced inch too cm for
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've just done a battle report playing warpath(mantic games) in 6mm. I haven't posted it yet as I'm still editing it. I can post you a link, if you're interested.

Personally I think that you need to play with a magnetised board if you're going to play in that scale with each individual model on a separate base. I don't know if you have to, but i just think that it would be far too easy to have your units falling over all the time if they are going to be separated.

If you have then on stands of 5 then it shouldn't be as much of an issue, but it will be much harder to play 40k as it is so focused on individual models.

Are you willing to try other games and set them in the 40k universe? I honestly think that the 6mm approach is the best way in the end. It is so much easier for me to store and set up the smaller board needed(which I've just started building) for a game like 40k converted to 6mm. I just switched each measurement from inches to cm. Works great.

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:14 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

There are a couple of people on taccom who have done 40k or other skfi skirmish games with epic figs, think the reports are on blogs but i don't have links :( one of them has some really good dark eldar conversions as well.

Couple of epic scale space hulk sets about as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Cheers

will do a little digging and would be interested in seeing that batrep