Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Primarch's Titan magnetizing Tutorial

Post subject: Re: Primarch's Titan magnetizing Tutorial
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The smaller magnets arrived.

They are indeed SMALL.

Primarch

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:53 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

You will need one of these to make the small wholes you will require.

Drill hole about 1/10 inch in diameter (2.5mm) in each weapon.

If you drill them just right you will be able to snap the magnets in snugly. If not some gorilla glue will do the trick.

You can do the same with all weapons, arm connections, etc.

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The 1/10 inch (2.5mm) diameter magnets I bought here:

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DH101

Are a PERFECT fit for the standard hole size of the plastic beetle backs. They seem to be also suitable for metal titans as well. Use your drill bit to carve out some more diameter if it is necessary.

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Wait until glue dries (if you used any), and snap them on.

They can be fitted pretty flush to the surface.

As you can see its almost like you used the original pegs. :)

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

As Lead Space and others mentioned the smaller magnets do indeed work well and look like you are not using any.

WORD OF CAUTION: Since you are only using magnets you will need to be KEENLY aware of what orientation you fix the magnets in. If you do not do this you will find some fittings not working since you put the magnets with the repulsing sides facing each other.

THIS IS NOT A TRIVIAL THING. Pay attention to it and save yourself some headaches. I did not do it correctly and had to "tailor" the magnets for them to stick appropriately. Also note the small size makes handling these VERY difficult. Make sure you have something to tap them into place and tweezers that ARE NOT magnetized. Mine were and it was a lot of work.

The end result is very pleasing, but it requires forethought and the right tools.

As I looked back between the two methods, they both have their drawbacks. The first method had the issue of cutting the metal discs. Now that I know what size magnets work, if I could make metal discs of 1/10 of an inch (2.5mm) to insert in the titans holes for weapons I would consider that the superior method because having to orient the magnets correctly when just using magnets alone was a tremendous hassle.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a whole puncher that can make discs that small. So the magnet on magnet method is the only viable one for the moment. However I will continue to search for a method or process to get small magnetized metal discs of sheets small enough to fit inside the weapon holes.

Ya, orienting magnets is THAT annoying..... :(

Remember that 1/10 inch (2.5mm) magnets ARE THE ONES. Other magnets are too big and can be seen when you fix your weapon to them.

In summary.

1. Acquire 1/10 inch (2.5mm) diameter by 1/32 inch (1mm) thickness magnets
2. Place magnets in weapon holes on titan hull. REMEMBER TO ORIENT THEM APPROPRIATELY!!!
3. Drill 1/10 inch (2.5mm) diameter holes in all weapon connection points (may be more than one per weapon).
4. Try for a snug fit, but some glue may be required.
5. Wait for the glue to dry (if necessary) and snap weapons on!!

The heavy lifting is acquiring the right tools or course. But once you have everything it is relatively easy to do.

Primarch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Excellent work mate :) looks good and works!

Blogging about 6-15mm wargaming: http://www.lead-space.net

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Lead-Space wrote:
Excellent work mate :) looks good and works!

Hi!

I'm not quite done though...

http://www.widgetsupply.com/product/BDL ... QgodojYAcw

I have ordered this product that punches metal discs of 2.5mm and smaller!!

If this works, this will be my default method, as it gains the concealment of the small magnets, PLUS not having to worry about magnet orientation and also saves magnets!

Once they arrive I will do my final experiment and report the results. :)

I also have done experiments with flyer stands, but will await this small caliber puncher to do the final versions of those as well.

Primarch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:41 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Update

I got myself the metal disc punch linked above and the smallest puncher 7/64 inch (2.75mm) which is optimal to place within the holes were weapons go.

This is what they look like.

They are roughly the same size of the small magnets (also linked in previous post) therefore this provides two options for those whom wish to magnetize their titans.

1. Using only magnets. This means you don't need a metal disc puncher (you'll still need a drill pit to make holes the weapons), but you will have to pay close attention to magnet orientation. I personally found it hassle (besides using more magnets), so I didn't favor this one.

2. Using metal discs and magnets. This option used less magnets and you don't have to worry about orientation of the magnets. However it does require additional expensive to get a metal disc puncher and the metal sheet to make the discs. However only one sheet is all you'll ever need (you can make hundreds at this size).

Also you can use both methods for basing aircraft.

You can use a magnet or a metal disc for the stand.

Same thing for the model. I did not fancy drilling holes into forgeworld resin, but you could do that and use a smaller magnet.

Either way offers a quick and easy form to magnetize your fliers in the same manner as titans (magnet on magnet or metal disc to magnet).

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:19 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same here. 2 pieces of 3mm magnets sunk into the plastic or metal. Cheap, fast, invisible. Just have be careful with teh polarity. Works also well on megagargants. Easier to transport without the arms.

New buildings for 3,6,8mm scale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

leaxe wrote:
Same here. 2 pieces of 3mm magnets sunk into the plastic or metal. Cheap, fast, invisible. Just have be careful with teh polarity. Works also well on megagargants. Easier to transport without the arms.

Hi!

I found making sure I had the right polarity a big hassle. :(

Of course, if you are doing only a few titans that is probably the way to go, since keeping that small amount straight should be easier.

I am projecting to do this on over 200 titans, there is no way I can keep that straight. ;)

That is a very good idea to do it for the mega-gargant. That is a very fiddly model I have broken its arms off more than once. I would definitely do it for that model as well. :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:40 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Good posts, thanks for the details. Should be useful when i come to do mine. Planing to magnetise heads as well.

Do these smaller magnets still hold the biggest metal weapons ok?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:17 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've been using this method (3mmx1mm) for a LONG time now and you'd be surprised how strong they are. The one caveat is that the enemy of a strong connection isn't weight, it's leverage and slippage. This is why shoulder sockets are ideal. I'm still paranoid so I use magnet-on-magnet action. I use a "reference stem" (a flight stand stem with a magnet glued to it) so that all my bodies have one polarity and all my weapons/accessories have the other. This way you can reconfigure easily.

This technique works with weapons, poses on some minis, turrets on tanks, rotors on helicopters (including some 15mm ones I use), missiles, etc etc etc. Magnet-on-magnet self-centers but allows for rotation, which is nice.

When I find a deathstrike proxy I like, I'll be using magnets for the missile. What better way to show that it's out of ammo than to simply remove the missile? ;) If I'd thought of this before getting into Gothic all those years ago then I would have magnetized all my cruisers too, plus magnetized the connection to the flight base. Much better to have a cruiser fall off than snap off.

Speaking of magnets, litko also sells rubbery magnetic mats. You put it under your base (or use steel bases and put the magnet on your army box). Great for storage and transport.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

How did those magnetised flyers work out? Are they quite stable? If strong enough, this would be a great fix for my Squat airships. Most of the bases have snapped off inside the mini and I'm forever supergluing them back together. Look closely on my battle report and you'll see it happened with one of my Iron Eagles at the weekend! >:(

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm a big fan of magnetizing flight stands, but the problem I am always running into is actually getting the magnets to stick to the pole. No matter what I do the glue just doesn't seem to want to stick. Its very frustrating.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
How did those magnetised flyers work out? Are they quite stable? If strong enough, this would be a great fix for my Squat airships. Most of the bases have snapped off inside the mini and I'm forever supergluing them back together. Look closely on my battle report and you'll see it happened with one of my Iron Eagles at the weekend! >:(

For plastic cruisers and small metal ones the normal magnets are plenty strong enough. I haven't tried using it with the metal grand cruisers or battleships, but i'd expect I'd need to use a larger magnet. Not THAT much larger, mind you, these magnets are hella strong if you have them mounted at the center of gravity.

ForgottenLore wrote:
I'm a big fan of magnetizing flight stands, but the problem I am always running into is actually getting the magnets to stick to the pole. No matter what I do the glue just doesn't seem to want to stick. Its very frustrating.

I clip and sand off the tip of the flight stem. Make sure to sand it completely flat. Once circumcised like that, they stick pretty well w/ superglue.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next