Login |  Register |  FAQ

6mm Ramblings - On What I Want and Like about 6mm Sci-Fi

Post subject: 6mm Ramblings - On What I Want and Like about 6mm Sci-Fi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:01 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ive been pondering my 6mm addiction for awhile. A lot of my ponderings revolve around what rulesets I have available to me. Its mostly drivel, but here are some of my thoughts and wishes about what I think 6mm should be like...for me.

http://kealios.blogspot.com/2013/02/6mm-wargame-rulesets-what-i-like-and.html

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: 6mm Ramblings - On What I Want and Like about 6mm Sci-Fi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:52 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Very interesting, and I agree with a lot of the points that you make.

For me, the reason that I love this scale, almost exclusively and without looking at other game scales, are the tactical decisions and options that are available. I want a wargame that can include all types of forces, from huge robots to space craft to strike fighters and bombers, to transport aircraft to big tanks to infantry to gun emplacements and so on. That is very important to me.

I wish that I liked FWC, and to be fair I havent really given it an honest try, but I am also not a fan of the underlying Warmaster command and control mechanics. While very cinematic, I want less randomness in this aspect of the game.

I may be the only person in the entire world who actually likes - and even prefers - the IgoUgo turn sequence, but ONLY when there is a very good interrupt mechanic built in. My perfect game would be IgoUgo with overwatch and reactions, etc.

I think that I am less concerned about building my own units at this level. I do enjoy any ability to do this, but I tend to create entirely army lists and shove all my new toys in that one for informal games, etc. One thing that I really liked about Epic third edition was that although you couldnt create your own units, the ability to 'pick and mix' units in a formation gave an analogue process. I couldnt create my own tank, but by putting Land Raiders and Assault Marines in different ratios it gave a good effect, and allowed me to tailor this for my own plans. That said, I am not really that put off by an inability to create units at this scale. This is a much more important factor to me at 28mm, which is (one reason) why Defiance: Vital Ground is my 28mm game of choice.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It sounds a little confusticated to me. On the one hand, you want a broad brush, regimental game with minimal book-keeping and a potent combat-resolution system. On the other, you want oodles of customization options (which will increase complexity and book-keeping and make combat less likely to resolve decisively) with near endless different unit types and options.

I'd not outright say that the two sides are utterly mutually exclusive. In fact, I tried to take on some of your thoughts myself, when I was writing HorizonWar. We have high customization for mechs and airframes (and, in fact, more to come, as I'm about to release the Advanced Rules for mechs), but much more limited customization for other battlegroup elements (although that section of the rules hasn't been released yet). Our core rules actually do away with "units" entirely, adopting an approach more like a skirmish game, although they are re-introduced in the Advanced Rules as an option.

I like to think our combat resolution mechanic is pretty decisive, but the area that I focused on that most hits your needs is in book-keeping. There is some book-keeping to do, as damage degrades an element's capabilities the more it takes, but I'm very proud of the fact that you can fit a medium-sized army list on the back of one of our business cards.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can get the first two volumes - MechaWar, which does mech combat; and AirFrame, which does (you guessed it) air combat - for £1.00 each from Precinct Omega. The third volume, that introduces the rest of the combined arms battle group (called, logically enough, BattleGroup) is in closed beta, but if you'd like to give it a test-drive, send me a PM with your email and I'll send along a copy of the latest test document.

That goes for everyone who reads this, by the way, until our open beta starts in mid-April.

R.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hello PO. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi, C&E. Really hoping to get into TL300 soon. Fie for this pile of unpainted lead and plastic on my desk that demands my attention!

R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:25 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the reply!

precinctomega wrote:
It sounds a little confusticated to me. On the one hand, you want a broad brush, regimental game with minimal book-keeping and a potent combat-resolution system. On the other, you want oodles of customization options (which will increase complexity and book-keeping and make combat less likely to resolve decisively) with near endless different unit types and options.

I think you misunderstand me, or at least my intentions...

Quote:
I'd not outright say that the two sides are utterly mutually exclusive.

I agree, in that I believe they are not mutually exclusive at all! The Broad Brush comment is correct, above, but I do not believe in any way, shape, or form that depth needs to mean complication. Depth, to me, means options, and options mean my units might function and look different than your units, but it doesnt mean the rules have to change...meaning that the flow of the game can still be there.

This is actually where I feel Strike Legion went wrong. The options are plentiful, but many of them do, in fact, change the flow of the game, and often add new dice rolls or other elements that must be tracked outside of the normal game mechanics.

Quote:
In fact, I tried to take on some of your thoughts myself, when I was writing HorizonWar. We have high customization for mechs and airframes (and, in fact, more to come, as I'm about to release the Advanced Rules for mechs), but much more limited customization for other battlegroup elements (although that section of the rules hasn't been released yet). Our core rules actually do away with "units" entirely, adopting an approach more like a skirmish game, although they are re-introduced in the Advanced Rules as an option.

I like to think our combat resolution mechanic is pretty decisive, but the area that I focused on that most hits your needs is in book-keeping. There is some book-keeping to do, as damage degrades an element's capabilities the more it takes, but I'm very proud of the fact that you can fit a medium-sized army list on the back of one of our business cards.

Anyway, if you're interested, you can get the first two volumes - MechaWar, which does mech combat; and AirFrame, which does (you guessed it) air combat - for £1.00 each from Precinct Omega. The third volume, that introduces the rest of the combined arms battle group (called, logically enough, BattleGroup) is in closed beta, but if you'd like to give it a test-drive, send me a PM with your email and I'll send along a copy of the latest test document.

That goes for everyone who reads this, by the way, until our open beta starts in mid-April.

R.

I actually own MechaWar...I bought it the day it announced on TGN just to support you because I thought the concept was cool. I browsed the rules and didnt print them out.

It's true, I am not looking for a beer-and-pretzels kind of game. But to show that my original point can work together, take a look at Song of Blades and Heroes. That game lives for character customization, and every expansion that comes out adds heaps of new options to give your troops. However, the game mechanics are SO simplistic as to be almost childish. How does a game keep things so simple but have such depth in character creation? Well, its because the mechanics arent awkward or clumsy in the first place. The two can live in harmony (depth/complexion of unit development, and rules that still flow). In SOBAH, its just TOO simple.

Now look at Future War Commander. His rules have a bit of chunk to them, enough that it took me a while to study them to see past my initial gut reactions to what I saw, but his unit development is almost silly-easy (its like the opposite of SOBAH!). The author even states on p.122 of FWC that he limited special rules for the units he designed on purpose - but I think that's the once place he went really wrong. If you tripled the number of special abilities available when making armies, as long as it is done correctly, it doesnt need to wreck the game.

Anyway, I might break out Mechawar and check it again...especially if you're combining the games! Thanks for the comments. Definitely appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ok, I see what you mean.

Actually, SOBH is a good example of my issue with special rules. The core game contains a couple of dozen, but the expansions introduce hundreds more. Characters are highly customizable, but who can keep track of the endless variations? Many skills are near duplicates with very subtle differences, and army building requires the use of an online tool because the algorithm used to calculate points values is so complicated.

Of choose, SOBH isn't written as tournament game, and the essence of the rules assumes a cooperation between players, and many rules are inappropriate in different settings, so I forgive it on account of it's elegant core mechanic.

I'll actually be releasing the Advanced Rules for MechaWar that increase customization options substantially later today or tomorrow morning, as free download. Sign up for our newsletter to get early notice.

R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Heh...you want to see a unit builder gone wrong, try Strike Legion's!

APOLOGY: (I continue to bag on SL, and maybe its unfair that I do...I had SUCH high hopes for the game, and see that it still has a chance, but the author has basically said that he isnt going to revise it, so Im frustrated...apologies to everyone, including KJ and crew!)

There is a point in army or unit creation where the player using the special rules is the one responsible for knowing them. Obviously, you never have ALL the special rules on the table at one time, and who doesnt like reading good gaming material in bed just before the lights go out...that sounds like a dream come true for me!

HOW you implement it is as important as WHAT you implement. We'll see how you do on yours :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Amen, brother. Sorry for hijacking for blog-pimping thread, btw.

R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

No hijacking was done...you pointed me to a new ruleset. DUH, that was what the whole blog was about :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I cannot tell a lie. Much as I love and adore my baby, I still feel dirty when I come onto forums and suggest people buy it. I guess I'm not a natural marketer.

R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Don't "suggest". Proselytize. Preach. Encourage. Educate. Your game might meet needs that are being expressed by these people on the forums, and you might be their answer! Now, I dont know if your games are MY answer, but you've certainly given me something to think about!

There is a different between "selling" and "informing". Let the educated consumer then make the choice!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:42 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

precinctomega wrote:
Hi, C&E. Really hoping to get into TL300 soon.

Cool, I had no idea you were so close geographically incidentally - York, Yorkshire York?
Could get in a game of something against you one day. :-)

Quote:
I still feel dirty when I come onto forums and suggest people buy it. I guess I'm not a natural marketer.

BUY MY PRODUCE SO THAT I CAN FEED MY BABY SOMETHING BETTER THAN PINE CONES.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, crap. I need to update my location on this forum apparently. I've moved to Cheltenham since I joined here. Been here three years. There is, however, an excellent club in York - the York Garrison - that I highly recommend. I think they meet on Thursdays, these days.

R.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Aye I keep planning on paying a visit, alas lately I can't even find time to visit the club 5 minutes away lately, let alone York.
Too much hunting for Pine Cones.

Gonna be at SALUTE?

Edit: Actually looking at the map, I'm guessing you may not be along at SALUTE. :-)