Login |  Register |  FAQ

6mm Ramblings - On What I Want and Like about 6mm Sci-Fi

Post subject: Re: 6mm Ramblings - On What I Want and Like about 6mm Sci-Fi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I really, really want to make it to Salute this year. A couple of local friends are going, so I hope to tag along with them. However, as I currently have no visible means of support other than One Pound Wargames (which, as the name implies, will never make me rich), my wife is looking for work and I've just received an unexpected tax bill for nearly £700, it's all a bit wobbly, right now.

I've actually spent most of the afternoon posting things on eBay in the hope of somehow raising the money to pay the bill in the next week. I'm looking to put 90% of my total collection up for sale in the next five days. :(

No 6mm stuff, though... :D

R.

P.S. http://my.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?M ... RK:ME:LNLK - If you're interested, it's mostly 54mm stuff, with some 28mm historical and a lot of WOTR.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kealios wrote:
Heh...you want to see a unit builder gone wrong, try Strike Legion's!

APOLOGY: (I continue to bag on SL, and maybe its unfair that I do...I had SUCH high hopes for the game, and see that it still has a chance, but the author has basically said that he isnt going to revise it, so Im frustrated...apologies to everyone, including KJ and crew!)

No apology necessary for voicing your opinion. While it's a bit of a late reply, I never stated the game wouldn't be revised; at the time, I said 'not in the near future' (or something to that effect). While the rules will be consolidated and streamlined a bit (hopefully before year's end, and might be released concurrently with or shortly prior to an original setting sourcebook), a number of the items you cite as unwieldy are what attracts many others to the game, and don't seem to cause the same concerns or difficulties for the great majority of SL players as they seem to for you. Different strokes and all. :)

As to the unit builder 'gone wrong'... the game is intended to mirror the 'feel' of most any setting, which could have been done in a simplistic (and IMO, vanilla) fashion with few options as in FWC, or as I have in SL (more specific details). The 225+ construction options available in SL are there to further that end; armies/military forces from different settings should behave differently from each other on the tabletop, with as few 'outside the system' special rules or player/house rules as possible. It's much easier to write game rules that limit themselves to a single, pre-defined universe, but one could still end up with a myriad of special rules applicable to each force therein (like 40K, Hordesmachine, or Malifaux) that require constant clarification, re-writing, or re-interpreting to be playable.

So, yes there will be revisions. Will you like the revised version better? Honestly, probably not - I can't please everyone, and I'd be worried if I ever did. ;D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

KJ,

Thanks for responding.

I was contemplating what to say in response when I read this quote from the MechaFront playtesters forum:

"The basic shooting mechanic is always the meat of the game. Therefore it should be as easy and fast as possible."

This struck such a chord with me, and I feel that 90% of my concern with Strike Legion is the shooting mechanic. I feel it doesnt flow. Im not a designer as such, so I cannot speak to how I would feel about my own game system, and you're right...you CAN'T please all of us all the time. I work in Hospitality...Oh God, do I know how true this is :)

Incidentally, I think SL _does_ have the complexity that Malifaux/Warmahordes has...your different items you can use all have special rules and interactions that arent all the same as each other. It isnt a bad thing, but if the shooting were cleaned up a bit, it wouldnt even be an issue.

I play the Hero System as my RPG of choice, and grew up with Battletech, so I get the bell curve of using 2d6 for shooting, but SL has the same issue that Gruntz does...Gruntz wants you to throw 6 or 8 pairs of matched d6...ugh. SL wants you to micromanage who shoots what, and do it one at a time.

I've said all this before. Change that, or streamline it, and the rest of the game's complexity will fit better.

Thanks for the response. I have always appreciated your activeness in the communities.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agree with the above - Shooting mechanics are the core of a 6mm game, as it's why everything is on the table . . . If it aint an easy part of the rules, they will die. Simple as that.

The compared die rolls of Dirtside 2 are a great example of how that can be done, and a lot of other games also use similar mechanics; This makes them flow and the rest of the actions can be quite detailed once that is achieved IMHO.