Login |  Register |  FAQ

New (May) FW Newsletter

Post subject: New (May) FW Newsletter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:00 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's true! This is Forge World's 94th newsletter! In this issue we have a huge great pile of new models and news to go through. The boss has also just let me get my hands on some work in progress photos too!

Games Day Baltimore
http://gamesday.us.games-workshop.com/G ... ..._04.htm is just three weeks away at the time of writing, and for the last month our guys downstairs in the Forge World warehouse have been packing literally thousands of boxes of models for us to send across to the US. Well, we filled a damned good chunk of a cargo plane which flew out last Saturday and all we have to do now is send over any final bits and pieces we decide to sneak out as special pre-releases! (That and fly over to Baltimore ourselves of course!)

So who are we bringing over to Baltimore this year? Anyone want to meet a guy called Simon Egan? I think he might have made a couple of models or so for us at sometime. :-) Simon Egan and Tony Cottrell will be on the Forge World Design stand on both days and will be displaying some of their work and answering your questions. Tony Cottrell will also be doing one of his incredibly popular Forge World seminars on Saturday from 1-2pm.

Games Day Baltimore is also a chance for a lot of you to come and buy Forge World models directly from Forge World. This year is going to be no different.
I'll be running the Forge World sales stand of course and I'm bringing two other guys from Forge World in the UK with me to help. I'm also planning on "borrowing" a few staff or Outriders from GW USA again too.
With so much to see and do at a show like Games Day Baltimore, reserving an order for collection makes very good sense. All you have to do is send us an email at forgeworld@games-workshop.co.uk titled "GD Baltimore Reservation" with the list of what you want to order, remembering to include your name please! We'll confirm all reservation orders back to you by email to set your mind at ease. We can take reservations up until Wednesday May 19th when we leave the UK for Baltimore so please make sure you contact us before then.

Model Time!
First of all today we've got three new Epic 40,000 models for you to take a look at http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/esquig.htm Another stunning sculpt from the desk of Daniel Cockersell. This Epic 40,000 scale Gargantuan Squiggoth measures in at about 2.5inches/70mm from tusk to spikey tail and believe it or not, it is Daniel's first ever Epic scale model!
Daren Parrwood, the man who made the Imperial Guard Valkyrie for 40K has very recently finished off an Epic 40K version too. Take a look here,
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/evalk.htm

Warwick Kinrade and Tony Cottrell have been putting the final finishing touches to the next huge Imperial Armour book over the last two weeks and now it's off to start being printed. Expect a lot more information and details on Imperial Armour Volume 2: Space Marines & Forces of the Inquisition in a special edition of the newsletter in the near future.
With the release of this mighty book later this summer, we have been doing even more work to expand on the range of upgrades available to Space Marine and Inquisition collectors and commanders. One of the things Forge World has received the most requests to make is icons or doors for the Iron Hands Chapter.
You can stop asking now because we have only gone and made the whole lot in one go! http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/ironhrhino.htm You will now have the choice of Iron Hands Rhino doors, Land Raiders doors, Icons and of course an Iron Hands Thunderhawk Gunship or MkIIB Land Raider, all sculpted by Simon Egan.
The Sisters of Battle range that Forge World produce has always been very popular and with the release of the new Codex is even more popular now than ever before. We couldn't think of a better time for Simon Egan to make some Icons for the Sisters, http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/sobicons.htm
When you get to see the finished master models that Simon makes, you have to stop and think for a bit, just how does he get the detail that fine, and on something that small too?! It's no good asking Simon. All he says is, "You roll out a bit of modelling putty and then you just prod it and smooth it over with a homemade sculpting tool, (an old bit of plastic!), till you get the shape you want."

We have kept Simon quite busy over the past month or so. Take a look at the latest of the Imperial Guard tank commanders he's just done for us,
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/tallarn.htm ?A more characterful Tallarn would be difficult to imagine.

One of the more eagerly anticipated kits in the Forge World office that has been worked on the last month or two has been this,
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/basenc.htm , the Armageddon pattern Armoured Basilisk. Daren Parrwood has done a magnificent job of super-detailing the entire interior of the vehicle. The floor of the fighting compartment is brass-etched mesh which reveals underfloor detail including the magazine. There is a fold-down step for the commander so he can climb up and use the cupola on the top of the superstructure. The entire rear wall of the Armageddon pattern Basilisk lowers down to form a large stepped platform and there are optional parts included to have the magazine open or closed. I honestly believe there will be a fight in the office over who gets to paint this model, it really is that popular.
As if the Basilisk wasn't enough, Daren also made an Armageddon pattern Medusa as well! http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/medenc.htm

Do you want a look at some work in progress then? Try this,
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/knarrider.htm This is the first Kroot Knarloc Rider that Daniel Cockersell has done. Please note that this a much smaller model than the Great Knarloc and the modified rifle. Daniel is working on at least two other poses of Knarloc right now and we'll see more of these chaps in another newsletter in the future.
Thx,

Ewen Little,
Forge World, Games Workshop, Willow Road, Lenton Lane, Nottingham, NG7 2WS, UK.

Mmmm... Great stuff this month!

Valkyrie.... L4 will complain about redundancy, but imo this looks better scaled and much more detailed than the Fanatic one... I'll take a few please! ?:D
...That Squiggoth looks ace too... *pats FW chaps on the back*

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I like the new Valkyries more than the Fanatic ones too, and they are only ?3 extra more. Will have to see if they do the Vultures as well.

On the subject of Vultures, they have been removed from the UK Online Store. Interesting as Fanatic pride themselves on having a full Epic range avaliable for the armies in the rulebook...

Lastly, it's good to see FW have got with the times and still call Epic "Epic 40000".

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 11:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The giant squiggoth, looks great!

Must make rules for it now....  :;):

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:42 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

it's my personal favourite of the new releases

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I wonder what the third epic model was?

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:13 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Good point Jimbo - I hadn't realised that until you pointed it out....  :l

As for the gargantuan Squiggoth - thats definitely a model I want to paint as a display piece!

http://hobbybrush.blogspot.com - My Hobby Blog
TuffSkull's notepad- My Old Blog on Wargames Wiki.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:39 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I noticed the thing about a third model, but assumed it was a typo. Vulture maybe?

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 1:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

The giant sqiggoth goes quite well with the monster Jimbos making for the feral orks.  :)

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 3:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Have to add the S/Goth & Valkyries to my growing list ... may have to make a F/W order soon. ?However ... here we go again - an S/G Valkyrie and a F/W one ? ??? ? As usual I'll be ordering both ! :o

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 4:11 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think FW looked at the half ass version SG made, and decieded to make a better one.

Also, on the FW online store, Marauders are now only avaliable one to a pack at ?10, making all Epic Imperial Navy packs ?10.

Cheers

Chris

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 5:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote (primarch @ 01 2004 May,13:54)
The giant sqiggoth goes quite well with the monster Jimbos making for the feral orks.

it certainly does and I am certainly going to purchase one as and when it's available

Almost Always Right...

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

I already put in an order for mine..... :;):

I'll take pics when it comes out.....

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 11:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I still have yet to put in an E-A or Epic FW order and I DESPERATELY want to...

But the funds are weak!  :(

Shabbat Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

http://6mm-minis.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:20 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just ordered the Epic Hell Talon, Epic Valkyrie, Epic Ork Bomber, F/Bomber & S/Goth !  :D  And I ordered $260 USD worth of E:A from G/W US last week !  :o  Someone stop me !  :l

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:50 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hi!

Sure L4, like I'm the one to council you moderation in that regard.....  :blush:

Primarch

The Primarchload
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules