Login |  Register |  FAQ

Photbucket tos- archived threads might be lost

Post subject: Photbucket tos- archived threads might be lost
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:37 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

OK- cheating a bit and putting a copy & paste of what the CDO chaps put up!

Quote:
Greetings CDO members and visitors. Five days ago Photobucket changed their terms of service and it has been causing havoc and disarray across a great many forums, CDO among them!

Photobucket has been a popular image hosting service allowing members to sign on for free and upload images which they can then share a link to online. Photobucket started out almost exclusively as a 3rd party image hosting service - meaning you can link to images stored on their servers for free using tags.

In what seems like a naked money grab due to the fact that their business model of free hosting and the hope that ad revenue comes washing in hasn't been working out they way they hoped, they have changed their Terms of Service, such that 3rd party hosting is no longer allowed for any of the free accounts. Moreover, 3rd party hosting is not allowed for the low cost or mid-range accounts. For anyone using Photobucket to store images that wishes to continue to link via embedding on websites and forums they will have to upgrade their account to the top-tier Plus500 plan (which is ~$40USD /month) in order to unlock 3rd party hosting of their images.

This is a major blow to blogs and forums across the 'net right now and is reminiscent of the days when Angelfire and Geocities were going down in flames.

Unless Photobucket makes an abrupt course correction the forum here is going to look pretty grim for the next while until members can sort out new arrangements for image hosting. This will also have a significant impact on the majority of older content here on CDO as well. Hang in there with us while we all attempt to navigate this rather unanticipated curve ball.

~N

P.S.Don't forget you can attach images to posts, but there is a size allocation limit for users here at present in order to keep the total footprint of CDO manageable.

I've already noticed a couple of threads on tactcomms- mainly older threads- that have been affected. If your anything like me, then it was once pretty common to write up a post, using the photbucket links and then just copy it to several forums at once!

I can understand why they are doing it- they need to make money after all, but with photobuckets shoddy track recorded the past few years, and with imgur having a fairly decent miniatures crowd, plus the ease and huge size of google drives, I wont be bothering updating my account with PB, and I dont expect many other people too either.

As for my own Plogs on here, I wont be updating my fantasy one. It doesn't seem popular enough to warrant the time it would take to change all the photos. Its nice for me to look back on, but I do have many of the posts saved on my computer. I'll be using this as the push I needed to set up my own 6mm fantasy page, something I have wanted to do for a long time, but never had the time before.

So check your accounts (if you intend to continue using PB) and if there are any older threads (especially those that are no longer updated) that you use for inspiration, it might be an idea to save those photos yourself, as they may not be here very much longer!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Photbucket tos- archived threads might be lost
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, P/Bucket has always been a bit "troublesome". Of course you have to pay $15/year so you can go ad free. But they still hit you with their ads to buy their "crap". Otherwise you get bombarded with worthless pop-up ads. And it takes you 10x + has much time to do anything. Because you have to wait for all the ads to load up. Then you can do what you want to do ! :nooo So let's hope the new changes don't cause too much $%#@! to happen ... >:( :{[]

I save all my pics on my internal PC files. But Windows 10 sucks at editing pics. But P/Bucket is pretty easy and works very well. Once to pay to got ad free. So after I edit my pics I save them on my internal files. And then delete the originals ... But if your PC crashes. As it happened to me years ago. I lost all the internal photo files ... :( :gah >:( But they were still on P/bucket. So ... we are again at the mercy of the Tech Geeks ... :wah

Of course they are in biz to make $$$$. So ... ^-^

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:56 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

yeah it's hit me too, my hobby log on here is effectively dead now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:21 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Same here.

I understand they have to make money, but blocking all the content you've posted over the years and then demanding you pay for their most expensive option so you can have it all back ,

that smells of blackmail to me!

I don't respond well to that kind of crap.
I have deleted my account and have started the laborious task of re-editing +6 years worth of blog posts, which I'll do gladly and good riddance Photobucket and I hope more people do the same.

As for my older post on various forums, If I run accros them for some reason I'll probably do the same as I'm always bummed out when one of my searches comes across older post that are missing their pictures.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Ditch photobucket, stick it on a blogger site. Free and easy to use, and much more useful generally.
https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/1623800?hl=en

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:05 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

I never understood why people used photobucket, it's the worst hosting service in my opinion. I used picasa up until this year when google finially killed it and any semblance of public albums. Now I'm on flickr.

Blog

NetEA Tournament Pack Website

Squats 2019-10-17

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Always us the attachment feature never ever bothered with hosting sites never saw the point.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:01 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

moredakka wrote:
Always us the attachment feature never ever bothered with hosting sites never saw the point.

Most forums Ive ever been on don't have an attachment function/don't allow them/have such a minuscule memory limit for them that you could only get 2-3 pictures uploaded with your account.

I'm a little confused what the OP is actually saying though. I just used photobucket a couple days ago to post a picture on boardgame geek.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
So ... we are again at the mercy of the Tech Geeks ... :wah

Not entirely true. Not directed at you personally- but people that feel like this are only at the mercy of their own education (or rather lack of) in the digital world and trust. Always make a hard copy for yourself. Drives fail and online storage can disappear over night. It sucks, but after 40 odd years of computers, this is one of the most basic bits of knowledge, and yet many people still seemed stumped by it. I've witnessed people completely loose it over facebook or google deleting "their property". Once its one someone's servers, it's there choice if they want it there or not. Digital property law is going to blow up soon- for various reason, and people are going to go mad when they find out just how little they own digitally. Anyway not a dig at you- it sucks you lost your photos. Just stumps me when people are happy to use computers for everything, but dont take a few minutes out to learn some basic computer 'safety'! :D

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
yeah it's hit me too, my hobby log on here is effectively dead now

Yeah I suspected people like you would be hit the worse- huge hobby logs that go back years. I suspect that logs from people like mageboltrat will be in ruins. Users that have years old logs that are not longer active, and yet still quite often referenced, will disappear. Shame. Some of these older armies are works of art that shouldn't be forgotten!

stroezie wrote:

I don't respond well to that kind of crap.

As for my older post on various forums, If I run accros them for some reason I'll probably do the same as I'm always bummed out when one of my searches comes across older post that are missing their pictures.

I'm completely agree with you, even though I can see that they want to continue to pay the bills! Even a sorry note a couple of months to adjust would have gone over better than what they have done.

I commend you on fixing yours. I too hate looking at old logs which have been left picture less, its horrid, its like finding a book with all the good pages torn out!

Sadly I just dont have the heart to go through and change mine. I love my fantasy log, as shows how slow and dreadful I was at painting up to how slow and dreadful I am now! haha But I just dont have it in me to go through and update it again, especially as 6mm fantasy is not exactly a huge scene. My sci-fi log might be worth updating but again, the effort seems to be more than the reward!

Markconz wrote:
Ditch photobucket, stick it on a blogger site. Free and easy to use, and much more useful generally.
https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/1623800?hl=en

Not knocking it completely- I have run two blogger sites in the past and its a fantastic platform. HOWEVER....! There is an issue with ownership when using blogger. Google pretty much own everything you put on there (ok, I'm simplifying it a bit..but...) They can remove things with out the need of your permission, but the main reason is that they can REUSE anything you post on there as there own, with not need to credit you. Many serious bloggers have moved away from them for this reason. Not everyone blogs to get a book deal, but many people have become published after blogging for a long time, not possible with blogger- you are at the mercy of google and might not see a penny/cent/dime from your creative work.

I'm not a google hater- I think they are bloody brilliant and done wonders for the digital age we are in, but I would not use it to store anything in the least bit creative!

Dave wrote:
I never understood why people used photobucket, it's the worst hosting service in my opinion. I used picasa up until this year when google finially killed it and any semblance of public albums. Now I'm on flickr.

I simple did what everyone else was doing at the time I joined. I joined as it was the most common photohosting site back in early days of warseer, and back then it was simple and did the job (well)

I dislike flickr- its over crowed and too flashy, I had to use it a lot for college and did not like it. I'm sure I would get used to it given time, but I like nice simple photo hosting- which PB was many years ago!

moredakka wrote:
Dont quote me on this, but I believe that when I started with tactcomms, the attachment feature was either non-existent or rubbish. I dont recall which- not surprising, I dont recall what day it is most days. Plus it was far easier for me to store on PB, write a post in notepad, add the links then copy paste to three or four forums!

ForgottenLore wrote:
moredakka wrote:

Most forums Ive ever been on don't have an attachment function/don't allow them/have such a minuscule memory limit for them that you could only get 2-3 pictures uploaded with your account.

I'm a little confused what the OP is actually saying though. I just used photobucket a couple days ago to post a picture on boardgame geek.

What is confusing? PB used to allow you to use its features for free, and one night randomly this month they decided they will now charge through the nose for you to use. There is nothing stopping you use the site as a free user, you can still post the links where ever you want. But if you dont pay for an upgraded account, you photos will begin to show up as an 'advert' for PB/account upgrade rather than your photo.

It doesn't seem to have rolled out to every account yet- many of my photos still remain. But many forums are becoming seas of adverts for PB.

You can still 'own' and use a free account. Its just doesn't do much any more.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RexHavoc wrote:
What is confusing?

The fact that I used PB to post a picture AFTER you said PB stopped working was confusing.

But

RexHavoc wrote:
It doesn't seem to have rolled out to every account yet-

If it is somehow only being applied to accounts gradually...

edit, yep, just checked and the picture I posted is still there.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:18 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Dave wrote:
it's the worst hosting service in my opinion.

don't like imageshack off so lightly!
But yes, PB was an awful service. I used it because I was too lazy to move. This means that them now charging for what was already a bad service is a bit of a non starter. Especially as they want a silly price.

Quote:
Yeah I suspected people like you would be hit the worse- huge hobby logs that go back years.

Thing is, it' not that huge data wise. PB tells me all images on my account totals 100MB (i dunno what the smallest number it reads to is, so im assuming it is higher than 100 but smaller than 200). I've taken crse to crop and compress my images appropriately (out of consideration for mobile users, not PB, admittedly) and PB often compressed them again during upload. Combined with that, the amount of traffic via taccom is, realistically, tiny. I link to taccom and that's it (excluding third parties sometimes linking things elsewhere).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:23 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

moredakka wrote:

In the past (years ago) taccom has crashed/gone done in fairly big ways that deleted/lost all forum hosted attachments.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:52 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ouch that woulfd definately kill my thread.

Link, http://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/

Stockist of:

Vanguard Miniatures
BattleGroup Helios
Onslaught Miniatures
Pyrkol Gaming Markers
Gregster's Lab
Microworld Games
Troublemaker Games

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
Dave wrote:
it's the worst hosting service in my opinion.

don't like imageshack off so lightly!

haha I'd forgotten all about imageshack. Man, that was a cesspit of a site!

I find the tactcomms attachment feature to be a pain to view as well. I'm quite a lazy scroller, I like to put my feet up and just roll through the threads with the mouse wheel and one finger. Having to click on the picture to see it at a decent size means I will quite often skip whole chunks of peoples work, as its more effort than I can produce early in the morning! Its handy for chucking up the odd thing, like a rules quote or a real life example for painting, that kind of thing, but actual paintlogs are so much better for viewing when the pics are optimised for viewing on the forum- which was once an easy thing to automatically do via photobucket!

Been on dakka today. People are miffed. Logs that go back 300/400 pages, battle reports from long ago, that kind of thing are all in ruins. They either have to reupload everything, or just ignore it. I suspect warseer is a ghost town now. It doesn't seem to be that busy after being hacked several times in a row, and now the older logs will be in ruins. Thankfully dakka has a reasonably good image hosting, and have tons of space left on their server, as people will now flock to upload there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think there will be a gradual shift away from 'free' services. Those venture capitalists can't keep burning money forever...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Online solutions:
http://cloudlevel.me