Login |  Register |  FAQ

Photbucket tos- archived threads might be lost

Post subject: Re: Photbucket tos- archived threads might be lost
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:15 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore01 wrote:
I think there will be a gradual shift away from 'free' services. Those venture capitalists can't keep burning money forever...

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I have absolutely no issue with paying for a hosting service. I'm surprised that so many of them have offered everything for free for so many years. But $400 a year?! That's almost 3 months food shopping for me! I'm sure a paid web host is only around $200 a year, which includes services like back up and support.

What's worse is is asking for the money AFTER so many years of free service, and from what I read on dakka, some people have lost the ability to download and rescue their own photos after not upgrading to a paid account!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish TactComms Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:30 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I don't know why people aren't using imgur more. I left photobucket many years ago. I didn't like it at the time, but it was the only alternative. As soon as imgur came along I switched to that.

I'm honestly shocked that they think their service is worth paying for. Am I missing something here?

www.youtube.com/user/ManticMoments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:16 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

Interesting, thanks of the thoughts RexHavoc.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:03 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

RexHavoc wrote:
I have absolutely no issue with paying for a hosting service. […]. But $400 a year?!

Same, im not opposed to paying for services I use, but the price tag from PB is completely out of proportion with … anything.

bertnernie wrote:
I don't know why people aren't using imgur more. I left photobucket many years ago. I didn't like it at the time, but it was the only alternative. As soon as imgur came along I switched to that.

I'm honestly shocked that they think their service is worth paying for. Am I missing something here?

Correct, PB service is not worth paying for, it's terrible. Only reason I didnt switch was lazyness.

Imgur is easier to use, faster, and better at album management. However, it also hosts a lot of NSFW content which makes it far more likely to be blocked at work than PB. (It's also my perception that imgur has more down time/short term service disruptions.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:09 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

RexHavoc wrote:
some people have lost the ability to download and rescue their own photos after not upgrading to a paid account!

For me the album download has been very temperamental but does work eventually. The option is sometimes not there, buttons in the middle of the process sometimes do nothing, error messages etc, but it has worked in all cases after a lot of refreshing and multiple attempts ::)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I think most of my threads are dead now and I don't want to go back and fix 10 years worth of content. Back in the day PB was the main game in town for photo sharing. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

RexHavoc wrote:
Legion 4 wrote:
So ... we are again at the mercy of the Tech Geeks ... :wah

Quote:
Not entirely true. Not directed at you personally- but people that feel like this are only at the mercy of their own education (or rather lack of) in the digital world and trust. Always make a hard copy for yourself. Drives fail and online storage can disappear over night. It sucks, but after 40 odd years of computers, this is one of the most basic bits of knowledge, and yet many people still seemed stumped by it. I've witnessed people completely loose it over facebook or google deleting "their property". Once its one someone's servers, it's there choice if they want it there or not. Digital property law is going to blow up soon- for various reason, and people are going to go mad when they find out just how little they own digitally. Anyway not a dig at you- it sucks you lost your photos. Just stumps me when people are happy to use computers for everything, but dont take a few minutes out to learn some basic computer 'safety'! :D

Hey my first and only computer class in @'76 at the local State Univ., we used data punch cards for programs etc. ... :-[
So all this new tech stuff is all "Geek" to me. :geek Didn't really get my own PC until 2006. :o So I was not born into the "tech". Like many I encounter. Or like some of my High School and University, etc., friends who were light years smarter than I. E.g. one has a degree in Physics and another worked for TI and NASA ... So ... I'm always behind the power curve ... :( Yeah, I just ain't that "bright" ... :wah :'(