Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This thing has distracted me from Epic for two years

Post subject: Re: This thing has distracted me from Epic for two years
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

hmmm. Largest english book market in the world is India, so cast an eye that way.

twitter, both as a personal (pen name) account and a offcial book account. Follow a bunch of other authors, then use something like followerwonk to figure out what sort of times are best for posting.

Use a storage app like bufferapp or hootsuite to keep tweeting at a steady rate, if nothing else it keeps your account logged as active and twitter will recommend new people to you occasionaly.

For a book social media campaign, a twitter account by one of your characters or a future news source might be fun.

I'd recommend a tumblr account, and you really need to get friendly with reddit since that's the social network that fits your reader demographic most closely.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GREAT advice. Thanks a million!

It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I've got my Milkbone underwear on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
wellspring wrote:
Good luck!

I've been studying publishing routes myself for my own projects. Have you read this?

http://authorearnings.com/the-report/

Wellspring, I did read Hugh's report. Illuminating to say the least. My editor has highly discouraged me from publishing in the traditional way, which she has done for half of her own books. She shared with me her experiences and found it to be frustrating. I have two friends that are authors that told me to self publish, a third that told me to publish traditionally, and a fourth that said it really doesn't matter these days.

One thing for certain is that the paradigm as shifted considerably in the last ten years.

I'm glad you've been asking around and hearing the same thing. I ran the numbers and it's really telling.

It used to be that the big publishers gave you an advantage because they'd give you access to distribution to get your into book stores, and also because supposedly they'd promote your book. The promotion claim was always dubious-- they threw huge marketing budgets at books, of course, but mostly for established authors or books that were already hits. And even then it's unlikely that you'd earn enough from additional sales to make up for the massive drop in royalties. And with Amazon, you get traditional bookstore distribution as well-- insofar as brick and mortar sellers carry anything but established titles anyway.

Someone in sci fi (Sarah Hoyt, maybe?) pointed out that nearly all sci fi published through traditional publishers goes through one of three or four people. Those editors are the bottleneck. They live in the same city, have the same friends, and the same tastes. The fans have to put up with whatever they think is worth reading, and never see good stuff that the editors happen not to like.

So glad you're A) done (and wow that's hard to do) and B) thinking seriously about how to best publish it. Don't forget to post a link so we can send you $$$ and enjoy your writing! Hell, what primarch buys alone is probably enough to get you on the NYT bestseller list. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hehe, thanks for the support. Right now I am suffering through a restart on the cover. Between some Facebook feedback and admonitions from my editor, I've canned my first commission and am now looking for a new one.

I've gotten some great suggestions already and now it is a matter of figuring out all the marketing, cover art, and finance complications, deciding on whether to buy a single ISBN for $99 from Amazon or fork out the $250 for five of them, whether or not to incorporate, etc. Even small things like setting up a new bank account to help keep track of earnings aren't complicated, but they are time consuming.

The big push will be immediately before publication day and trying to get as many people to buy the book and rate it (highly) to hopefully reach a top 100 list (or a top 50).

Wellspring, what are you working on?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Moscovian wrote:
Hehe, thanks for the support. Right now I am suffering through a restart on the cover. Between some Facebook feedback and admonitions from my editor, I've canned my first commission and am now looking for a new one.

I've gotten some great suggestions already and now it is a matter of figuring out all the marketing, cover art, and finance complications, deciding on whether to buy a single ISBN for $99 from Amazon or fork out the $250 for five of them, whether or not to incorporate, etc. Even small things like setting up a new bank account to help keep track of earnings aren't complicated, but they are time consuming.

The big push will be immediately before publication day and trying to get as many people to buy the book and rate it (highly) to hopefully reach a top 100 list (or a top 50).

Wellspring, what are you working on?

I'm an academic in my day job. My specialty is sales and marketing, which I teach at a state university business school. While research publications are my priority, I've also been working on writing something for professionals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:56 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Ah, entirely different markets, but I suppose the principles are similar. A friend of mine Jeff Towson writes books about international investing and he does well enough for himself.

The biggest pill to swallow are the editing fees, which run thousands of dollars for a book the size of mine. Many people don't use editors, but many get poor ratings on Amazon because of it. As painful as the process is, I am a believer in editors.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:47 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Closing the thread. Discussion here.

http://www.taccmd.tacticalwargames.net/ ... 43&t=27653

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2