Login |  Register |  FAQ

Games and Gears Kickstarter Imminent!

Post subject: Re: Games and Gears Kickstarter Imminent!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Thanks for the help FL, much appreciated!

I agree with most of the comments above, it's only the DZC boards that interest me. The idea of these boards with the Battlescene Designs buildings I've been quietly accumulating has me excited!

The only other type of boards I'd like to see is a desert board but with some matching hills for sale - seperate, not built into the board. I hate those boards that have built in hills, far too limiting.

Life of Die Channel including Epic Podcasts and Battle Reports

Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:11 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The hellscape boards are the only ones that are a bit of a strange one, they would have done better if they had just gone with a plain textured board that people could have turned into desert or grassland.
One thing I have heard a lot of people say about the GW realms boards is they don't like them having the fixed hills, these don't have that problem, and the other 4 sets fit into games were you want flat boards to start with. We have two different scale urban sets which want flat surfaces to allow buildings to sit properly. A fantasy village/town set which also wants flat surfaces for buildings. And a futuristic/SciFi board which is ideal for a spaceship or city setting and again really needs to be flat to allow stuff like the battlescene terrain or necromunda stuff to stand.
Like any business, they have plans for future boards and have mentioned plain ones and mixed.

I am in for 4 sets of the DZC boards so I can make an undamaged and damaged city and have spare boards :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:16 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

4 sets?! Hats off to you sir, I'm only getting one! So does this mean we can look forward to seeing 2 twelve foot by four foot boards?

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:24 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Maybe, or an 8 foot by 6 foot.
I just wanted 2 of each of the tiles for use in each of my city projects, and that is even more true if they unlook the other two designs in the set.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:45 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kickstarter is funded. They have unlocked the first stretch goal and are £5k off the next (£15k off the DZC board :) ).

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:57 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Well at the special intro price I've pledged. Not sure what version I'll go for, not to be used for epic most likely so we shall see.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Even though they don't do any sort of plain or grassland type boards, I have been talking to a friend about just getting a set of the the Hellscape boards and filling in all the cracks to make them plain flat. Give them a coating of PVA, sand and paint or paint then flock and you basically get a cheap set of realms boards without the inbuilt hills!

Matt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Maybe, or an 8 foot by 6 foot.
I just wanted 2 of each of the tiles for use in each of my city projects, and that is even more true if they unlook the other two designs in the set.

I look forward to seeing the pics once you have your city finished! I know this is a project you've been working on for some time!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:43 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
Even though they don't do any sort of plain or grassland type boards,

I don't understand all the people clamoring for plain grassland/desert/whatever boards. basically every game store that has tables has those. For home play that sort of thing is easy to make. 6 2x2 boards flocked as a grassland or desert should be about $40 and a couple hours work. I just don't understand.

elsmore wrote:
Looks good - shame they use the same fiddly clipping system as the Realm of Battle board. Not a game breaker though.

As opposed to what? You don't have to use the clips if you don't want to, but if you do want your table clipped together so it doesn't shift you have to do something like that.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

elsmore wrote:
ForgottenLore wrote:
As opposed to what? You don't have to use the clips if you don't want to, but if you do want your table clipped together so it doesn't shift you have to do something like that.

Pegs and recesses on the edges would do it. Say 2-3mm proud / deep. Braces on the outside edges clipping to the pegs. Something that doesn't require one to get underneath the board. Like I say, not a deal breaker, just something that bugs me about the RoB board.

Cheers

Seems more fiddly when you have to fit an edge round your board afterwards to hold everything together. Storage wise it might make things more awkward as well, the boards wouldn't just slide in and out of things with the pegs sticking out. Plus the added cost to making boards with pegs sticking out of them and a brace.

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

ForgottenLore wrote:
Mattman wrote:
Even though they don't do any sort of plain or grassland type boards,

I don't understand all the people clamoring for plain grassland/desert/whatever boards. basically every game store that has tables has those. For home play that sort of thing is easy to make. 6 2x2 boards flocked as a grassland or desert should be about $40 and a couple hours work. I just don't understand.

This. The idea of a Realm of Battle board is cool when there is something amazing that adds to the narrative of the game - a crashed Thunderhawk, or ruined city streets filled with wrecked vehicles. A plain 2'x2' board that you have to flock and detail is no better than buying a 2'x2' sheet of MDF and doing the same thing - why would you pay the extra money? I understand that not everyone has the time or talent to make their own highly detailed game surface, but a flat board with grass is pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think people want some plain boards to mix in with some of the other sets so you can be fighting on the edge of a city or town etc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mattman wrote:
I think people want some plain boards to mix in with some of the other sets so you can be fighting on the edge of a city or town etc.

That pretty much requires a couple of transition boards, which are even MORE specialized.

Once Upon a Midnight Dreary....