Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 80  Next

The Return of Adeptus Titanicus

Post subject: Re: The Return of Adeptus Titanicus
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:13 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

As I have said before the Titan vs. Titan system should much like AT1. And it should be Activation ...

IGOUGO should be put in the archives of old bad concepts for this type of gaming ... IMO ... ^-^

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 3:53 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I was always fond of the phase systems used in earlier versions of Epic. That gave me more of a feeling of commanding an army as a whole, rather than a group of individuals on the same side. The activation system leads to some unfortunate (my opinion, of course) instances of "piling on" with their moves when something big happens during a previous activation, which gives me the impression that the rest of my army was sitting around watching while my active formation took its entire turn. (It feels that way, of course, because that's exactly what it was doing.)

I liked placing orders at the start of the turn without knowing what the enemy's orders were. That gave me more a feeling that all members of my army were "doing something" at the same time, and that it was following a plan. A plan that might fall apart, a plan that might fail at first contact with the enemy and need some quick budging now and some major rethinking next turn, but a plan none-the-less.

EA is still great; don't get me wrong. I love the game. I just liked the feeling of commanding an army as a whole, where the right flank didn't instantly know how well the left flank was doing. I'd like to see something like that for a new version of AT/Epic.

As for WH40K style "I-go-you-go", where one side does all its moving and all its shooting before the other side does anything, I completely agree with you. That's pants. That's why in 25-odd years of playing hundreds of games of EPIC I've only played a handful of games of WH40K, and never really cared for any of them. (But if you do, that's cool. I encourage you to keep playing.)

-S'Cipio

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:51 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

S'Cipio wrote:
The activation system leads to some unfortunate (my opinion, of course) instances of "piling on" with their moves when something big happens during a previous activation, which gives me the impression that the rest of my army was sitting around watching while my active formation took its entire turn. (It feels that way, of course, because that's exactly what it was doing.)

I liked placing orders at the start of the turn without knowing what the enemy's orders were.

That's a feature, not a bug. It's a pretty good representation of manoeuvre war doctrine in my book, your troops are supposed to react to the situation on the ground as it develops outside their immediate AOR. But that's a discussion for another time.

Sounds like what you need a house rule command phase, where you allocate orders, then carry on normal jogging alternating activations from there. Give say, a -1 penalty to your activation roll if you want to change your orders at the start of the activation. Best of both worlds.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 4:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yes, I agree ! I find the only problem with activation is not enough games use it ... And of course Order Counters placed inverted at the beginning of the turns is also a great system. That works well with activation ...

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:10 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

yeah hidden orders that then are revealed as you alternate activations is a fun one (provided you can change your orders if you get it wrong for some type of suitable ding) works well in ground combat. Big lumbering things, like city sized spaceships with tens of thousands of crew work better without the change your order bit (part of the reason the order-shoot-move mechanics of Star Wars Armada really nail the feel for the subject)

about time I posted that thread derailed pic again, amiright? ;D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 6:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Interesting to see there is a kind of hidden activation system in the Renegade Knight game just released - made me think of epic. Hope something like it gets into the new AT. Hidden orders are one of the main things i miss from SM1/2. Keep wanting to play it that way in EA but hard enough to get any epic games let alone variants.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
Yes, I agree ! I find the only problem with activation is not enough games use it ... And of course Order Counters placed inverted at the beginning of the turns is also a great system. That works well with activation ...

Hi!

Indeed it does. Its the cornerstone of several net epic variants, including the latest.

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:18 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Really the only way to do it ! ;D :spin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Slightly off topic (but also heading back in the right direction) I see that the WH Quest - Silver Tower game has a companion app. And yes you can buy new "rules" for additional characters through it. So its not a massive leap to consider an app may appear with this when its out.

Post subject: Re: Sv: The Return of Adeptus Titanicus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

*insert your preferred profanity*

I play games to get away from electronics.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:07 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Berkut666 wrote:
Slightly off topic (but also heading back in the right direction) I see that the WH Quest - Silver Tower game has a companion app. And yes you can buy new "rules" for additional characters through it. So its not a massive leap to consider an app may appear with this when its out.

Hi!

I believe you may be correct. :)

I assume GW charges for these Apps?

Primarch

The Primarchload
Magnetized Titans Tutorial
Net Epic Gold
Heresy Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

They sure do. It's a "pay for new rules and stats" deal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:28 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

GW charge you for new stuff !!!! Say it ain't so ! Image

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:54 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Legion 4 wrote:
GW charge you for new stuff !!!! Say it ain't so !

Oh don't be obtuse.

These are in-app payments, also called microtransactions. Microtransactions are a reprehensible blight supported by cretinous consumers on digital gaming already. Thankfully there's a growing revolt against such things, at least in PC gaming. However this crap can only be a bad thing when added to the already ludicrous pricing structure of GW games.

I worry for the moment GW twig they can try to get people to pay for every game they play. I can see on-demand titan record sheets, subscription payments to 'track battles', blood bowl leagues and online only player progression tables (and other such things as once were devoted to an old notepad and chewed pencil) coming in the future. That's a sad, sad thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:41 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I agree its a sad thought but the other side of the coin is that this may get younger and new gamers to look at other systems

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 80  Next