Login |  Register |  FAQ

Science Fiction Army Scale Wargames Banners

Post subject: Science Fiction Army Scale Wargames Banners
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:25 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Just wanted to say how good and attractive the presence of the product/system banners are in that section. Could we put together something for the rest of the lines as well? I know that it's nothing but Lilly-Guilding but it's rather a nice thing to see, especially for a first time visitor.
Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 250.31 KiB | Viewed 5696 times ]

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Science Fiction Army Scale Wargames Banners
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:33 pm 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

I do think that it adds a splash of colour and makes it easier to find what people are looking for. I have shied away in the past in case it got too much for every section, and have limited them to specific events - this one is for the current KS, there is an EpiComp active banner, etc.

I guess the issue is where to draw the lines..... I dont think that the 6mm painting board needs one, so what would and what would not get a banner..... hypothetically?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think vendor specific areas, which are towards the top, are logical (also the most to benefit from branding). The rest, outside of special events, I think are fine to stay as they are.

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

So to further clarify, I'd love to see a Vanguard Minis banner, ostensibly being the renamed and collated old TMG are and threads.. Likewise, onslaught, command horizon, etc. I'd not expect one for anything under NetEA dev for instance. During epicomp or ToEG perhaps one would bring attention there when new.

Tangential, I think the whole 6mm, 15mm etc should be combined as i don't think it actually adds anything, and by doing so, alleviates some of the branding questions (or if you went with one, could be a generic model and paint pot/brush bit of PhotoShop). The less I mention the over granularity of the epic stuff, the better ;)

tl;dr

Banners for OSM, Vanguard, DRM, etc. Punt on the rest for now

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:36 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I'm not a fan of banners. They are distracting and add to page loading times, which is a problem for people with old computers (like me) or slow connections.

I can live with having one on the forum index to promote a particular event or model range, but that is where I recommend drawing the line.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:43 am 
Purestrain
Purestrain

It's a neat banner and nice to go with their campaign, but overall navigation of the index is complicated enough without each manufacturer adding visual clutter – *unless* the independent manufacturers all get grouped into one section and moved lower down the page.

If they are grouped away into their own sub-section then that's not a problem. However, at present most of the manufacturer subs get tiny amounts of posts, while being in the same category as 'Epic Armageddon' sub, which would get lost visually if all the small ones have bells and whistles them.

Index page needs less stuff, not more. (why is there a steampunk sub-section?!) If it was simplified then some small, tasteful, banners would aid navigation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:09 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Apocolocyntosis wrote:
It's a neat banner and nice to go with their campaign, but overall navigation of the index is complicated enough without each manufacturer adding visual clutter – *unless* the independent manufacturers all get grouped into one section and moved lower down the page.

One way of achieving this might be to have an affiliates page. It could be added to the menu bar alongside FAQ, and members could click it to show all the banners on a separate page. In my opinion, that would be a much better way of organising banners on the site.

Quote:
Index page needs less stuff, not more. (why is there a steampunk sub-section?!)

I agree.

Hena wrote:
Honestly, I'd like to be able to turn that banner off. Can I do that?

I'd also like the option to turn it off. Thus, if an affiliates page is not considered a viable option, this would be a sound compromise.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:34 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Agree that things need to effectively have an off switch. I believe that's what the theme feature of the forum sw is intended (in part) to accomplish. Irisado makes some good flexibility/usability points!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:46 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

If someone wants to have a banner, I have no objections (so long as it's not animated or flash-based, JUST SAY NO TO THOSE). However, like others I would vastly prefer to have them optional - I would keep them all turned off so I can more easily scan lines and not have my eyes be tugged about by images that make text more difficult to track. Even during the Armistice Day period, the poppies (as important as such comemmorations are) make it hard to follow the forum.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:33 am 
Swarm Tyrant
Swarm Tyrant

Thanks for the feedback guys. The theme system doesnt allow the switching on and off of banners, as these are driven by the settings page for the forum structure.

I take the points raised here and will continue in the current system - that is that banners are used to draw attention to events and time limited activities, such as KS campaigns and EpiComp activity. I will think about this further, but I like a relatively clean front page without too many distracting banners in general.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am 
Hybrid
Hybrid

if a company wants to advertise on this site (which is what these banners effectively are) I don't think it's unreasonable to charge them a token fee towards your hosting costs CS, especially as we're unable to turn them off

NetEA Red Corsairs Army Champion

My hobby/painting threads

Army Forge List Co-ordinator